Powermac G4 MDD won't automatically sleep! (Mac OS 10.4.7 Server)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by drnebulous, Aug 2, 2014.

1. drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

My Powermac G4 MDD 867MHz x2 won't sleep automatically. I've set it to sleep after 1 min of no use, and only the screen goes to sleep! It's really annoying because I've connected the fans to molex (getting the full 24V), so the noise is unbearable. I've also mounted another 190CFM Delta fan to the front via molex, so that is two fans I have making more noise than an aircraft when they should be asleep. It will sleep if I go into the apple on the top left and click 'Sleep', but this won't be any good as I'm using it for NAS, so need it to go to sleep when not being used. I'm running Mac OS 10.4.7 by the way.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Mac OS X can be configured to not sleep when its shared drives are mounted. Try making sure you don't have any connections to that machine and seeing if it will fully sleep.

3. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

But it isn't even connected to the internet yet! (waiting for airport card to arrive)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A device doesn't need to be able to access the internet to have other computers accessing its shared drives.

5. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

What I mean is, it doesn't have an ethernet cable in or an airport card - it is completely disconnected from everything. The world doesn't even know that it exists!

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Do you have Bluetooth in that Mac? If so, is it on?

If yes, then maybe BT is keeping an active connection which is preventing the Mac from sleeping?

I had this happen on my 17" PowerBook once. In fact, because BT was on and I didn't realize it, the screen was actually blinking from on (black screen) to off (dark screen, no power). I only found out because I put it down on a table, let it "sleep" and then turned the light off in the room. I then noticed the screen pulsing.

All of that had also been preventing the Mac from truly sleeping according to schedule with the lid open. Shutting the lid was the only way to make it truly sleep.

Attached USB devices can also prevent sleep as well.

7. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

No, I'm sure it doesn't have bluetooth, but I will double check tomorrow, but even if it did, how come it will sleep if I manually make it?

The only usb things I have is an apple keyboard and mouse.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, it's the difference between being allowed to do something and told to do something.

If I allow the computer to go to sleep within a set number of conditions then the computer will seek to satisfy the conditions first before it goes to sleep. If one or more of those conditions are not satisifed, the computer is not allowed to go to sleep.

If I tell the computer to go to sleep, the computer is being issued a command NOW, DO IT! The computer will ignore any conditions you may have set and will seek to follow your directive because you have commanded it to do so. It will go to sleep, directly then barring anything else that can prevent it from following your instruction.

In the case of being allowed to sleep, an active BT connection could prevent the computer from meeting one of the conditions it must meet to be allowed to sleep.

But if you don't have BT in this Mac, then this is all academic. I was just putting that out there since it's something that's happened to me.

9. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

I have just checked and I can't see any pci bluetooth or anything. Can't turn it on as it will wake the whole street up (it's 4am!), but these never came with bluetooth originally so I am 99.99% sure that it doesn't have bluetooth.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I didn't know, but I was trying to think what might be a cause.

You might check your Console.log to see what's going on and what processes may be running that are preventing sleep. Other than that, IDK.

But, yes. I have a few friends in Leeds. Wouldn't do to turn your MDD on and wake them up. ;)

11. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

I think that with two 190CFM deltas it will wake you up in America!:D

How do I check my console log?

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Console.app is an app in your Utilities folder. When you get the Mac up, just open that app and in the left pane under LOG DATABASE QUERIES click on Console Messages. You can also look at All Messages.

I'm not expecting anything to jump out, but after a while of running the logs should give you some info as what's going on.

You may also want to check your Energy Save settings just to make sure everything is correct.

Please note, I'm mentioning stuff as if you were running Tiger client and not Tiger Server. I've never used the server versions so things may be different.

13. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

OK, I'll try that out and post an update in a few hours.
    Thanks again!

14. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

I've tried that, but nothing comes up really. I'll try again later on - just popping out

15. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

This may sound daft, but have you tried an SMC reset?

Outside of that, removing the sleep image file from /var/vm and then restarting.

Tiger is stretching my memory a bit now!

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PowerMacs don't have a sleep image because they don't hibernate by default. Only after running an OpenFirmware script and setting the hibernatemode will they hibernate and generate a sleep image.

17. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Ah, maybe thats why I favor my Powerbook for quick SSH'es and Googles than my 2011 MBP, wakes up much faster.

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Only the 2005 model Powerbooks support hibernation by default, except the 12" model. The other aluminum models can support it via an OpenFirmware script and by then setting the hibernatemode parameter.

19. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

This little faceless app has helped me in many situations with a problem mac.
    It will make any mac sleep regardless, and with no negative side effects, at least that has been my experience in the past.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Can you put up a link to your copy or something?

The link on MacUpdate is gone, or am I missing something?

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The link isn't working and I'm unable to located a working copy of the NMSv2_4_beta.dmg.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks for this Intell!

I looked it up and now my A1013 (2003 vintage) is safe-sleeping just like my A1139.

Just curious though. You mention OF and the page I worked off also mentioned it. But the commands for it are actually entered via Terminal.app. Are the commands then being passed to OF through the Terminal app? And then they are actually applied with the reboot?

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The command puts a script into OpenFirmware's NVRAM that is run at every startup. It can be cleared by resetting the NVRAM or the PRAM. That part must be set before the machine will hibernate.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ahhh, ok, that makes sense. PRAM was going to be my next question. If it's reset, it wipes the command that does this on each boot right?

I also found this (they are using an icon similar to your avatar, hehehehe). I assume it's doing the same thing, but making it user-friendly by using a System Preference.

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, if the PRAM is reset, you'll have to reapply the NV script. That little pref pane should work well. Also, note that applying this will remove any iMac, eMac, or iBook extended desktop OpenFirmware patch such as ScreenSpanningDoctor. You'll either have to merge the two scripts together yourself or use a pre-modifed script that will do both.