PowerMac G5 1.8ghz Dual Core Good?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by imisch, Jul 27, 2014.

1. imisch macrumors newbie

I want to replace my current laptop with a Powermac since they are a good price and run Mac os x. I am planning to use a HD Pvr 2 with the powermac , so will it work? It is a usb based device and I am recording in 1080p. I will upgrade my video card if needed.

I also am gonna use Premiere Pro but since support for cs6 is gone (and 5) I plan to use something else. Is Final Cut Pro good substitute for Premiere? Also is Song Vegas supported?

Last of all, what are the newest games for G5s? Would love to run GMod and HL2.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I can tell you right now, the G5 is no longer the right editing rig. Compiling the video will take far too long depending on the program.

3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

720p is doable, but 1080p is out of the question unfortunately.

4. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

I had to look around as to whether or not to use 1080 over 720. From what I'm reading there is a quality difference, but it isn't enough to really warrant 1080 all the time. Or to quote someone from another board:

5. AlbertEinstein macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

That PowerMac would be insufficient in regards to both editing 1080p video (possible tough, but it just doesn't work very well unless you hate when thing flow smoothly) and playing a game such as Half-Life/Gmod (since the former requires Intel and the last time i used Gmod it had to be bootcamped. This is not possible with a PMG5, as even VirtualPC will be terribly sluggish and bad.)

It might not be what everybody else around here thinks, but unless you are either an enthusiast or a collector, it really is too late to get into PPC based Macs, especially with those kinds of demands.

If i were you i would rather look for a Intel machine. Early Mac Pros are running cheap, but they are quite unsupported by now, so it would actually be better to find something smaller or just stick with a PC.

6. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I came here to say this, thanks Al. I snagged an original MacPro for free and spent $20 to upgrade the ram. Runs well!

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Where on Earth do you get any Mac Pro for free?

8. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

I have a 1.6 ghz and it works fine for audio production. and I can edit 720p video from my phone on there sufficiently but I don't go beyond cut and trim.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Once you really push it with more than cut and trimming it really shows its age especially if you are cutting more than a few clips.

10. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

I believe it. It is a beast of a machine and the G5's aged incredibly well but they're just not up there anymore.

11. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

The PowerMacs aren't efficient workstations anymore. Even the most basic Intel machine (Mac or not), would be faster than a Dual 1.8 PM G5.

I would suggest getting one of the following:

- First gen Mac Pro

- Second hand Mac Mini (Intel)

- Build your own hackintosh

- Buy a new Mac.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I know... I have one G5 and many other PPCs.

13. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

Yeah. I only have the G5.. which I really do quite love, just got it recently, originally as a cheap computer to use for an emergency situation but ended up liking it a lot. I plan on getting a G4 powerbook soon as well.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

They are great, capable, and affordable machines for sure! However, the OP is asking too much from it!

15. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

That I would agree. Power Pc in 2014 should be bought with awareness and understanding of limitations.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There is a video out there by vwestlife of editing HD on his iBook G4. It is worth it to watch it but I do not think OP is going to be happy with the performance at all.

17. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

Yeah ive seen that video aha.

----------

I don't think the pros outweigh the cons with that videos method.

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you have the hardware then it is good to use it.

19. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

true. but if youre doing all that id probably just buy a new computer to use with the camera. but use what you have.

my first album was made entirely on a netbook with 1gb ram so im pretty in agreement with work with whatcha got.

granted the album sucked. but. that's not something id like to discuss lol.

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I figured you were some form of musician or creative artist by your user name. Ideally the deinterlacer in iMovie would work and it is possible he didn't have a proper install done on the machine.

21. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

I honestly wouldn't know.. video editing isn't my forte. I just occasionally edit snippets of concert footage and the like in I Move or Movie Maker. I just saw the process he used and he talked about watching the clips on the camera cause the machine wouldn't handle them among other things and it just seemed a bit hefty.

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well this is one of those things where we won't know if it was a lack of updates, a lasting bug, bad or corrupt install, or a problem with the footage. Only vwestlife will ever know but his solution is great.

23. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

It works for him. I watched the video one time out of curiosity and the amount of extra work involved is a bit more involved than Id ever get with video editing. but it's clever I'll admit.

24. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Very clever. I think something may be messed up with his install of iMovie. He didn't install it but rather the person he bought it from did.

25. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

You have no idea how much I depend on my G5 for video editing in winter.