PowerNap

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cristian.ny95, Jul 25, 2012.

1. cristian.ny95 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 2011 MacBook Air 1.6 GHz i5, and i just upgraded to Mountain Lion, but i did a clean install. I was looking forward to the new PowerNap feature but i don't see any appearance of it in the Settings > Energy Saver menu. Is anyone else having this issue?

2. philxor macrumors regular

The feature is supposed to be enabled after applying the SMC 1.6 Firmware Update. Unfortunately I don't see it in the software update section at all after upgrading to ML. I'm using a Mid-2011 i5 MBA.

3. cristian.ny95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea i read something saying that it is in the firmware update but i don't see any updates either. I wonder when this will be released.

4. Red Wolf macrumors newbie

Apperently there is a firmware update needed to activate powernap. If you check for updates it is probably called the "SMC Firmware update". I've installed the firmware update, but havent installed yet Mountain Lion. I'm still waiting for my free upgrade code :) So I can't test if this indeed fixes the problem

5. cristian.ny95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats weird that the update showed up for you, I can't see anything but i haven't restarted my computer yet since the upgrade so I'm going to go do that now and see what happens.

6. cristian.ny95 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. eric/ Guest

eric/

To control powernap go to your battery settings

8. mukade macrumors member

After installing the SMC update, a Power Nap check box
    appeared in the Energy Saver >> Battery tab.

It defaults to off.

9. cristian.ny95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just updated and it works now, I just cant decide if i want to enable it for when i am running on battery.

10. ashio83 macrumors newbie

The SMC firmware update can be manually updated from here chaps and then it's activated through the power management settings as mentioned above. I received mine at 11pm last night (UK Time) through the App Store.

Attached Files:

11. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Doesn't "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" a bit irrelevant with SSDs?

12. The Smyrk macrumors member

Yeah I would love to know why Apple ticks this option by default. I definitely see how it seems irrelevant. But I just assume Apple knows something I don't re that option so I just never mess with it.

13. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

PowerNap won't work on my 2010 MBA, correct? I understand you need Sandy Bridge in order to utilize it...

14. chemistry76 macrumors member

Power Nap didn't get my email last night...

I upgraded to ML yesterday, got the SMC patch yesterday evening.

Left my 2011 MBA plugged in over night, and I grabbed it this morning, took it to work. Once I opened it up, it had to download all my email from when I closed the lid last night.

Time Machine may have worked, but the last backup shows a time pretty close to when I went to sleep, so I'm not sure if it did or didn't.

It is worth noting that my MBA was much warmer than usual when I picked it up off my night stand this morning. So I assumed it was doing something, just not sure what.

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, that's correct. It relies on Intel's Smart Connect, which they rolled out with the Sandy Bridge chipsets.

My experience was a bit worse. It crashed and wouldn't wake from sleep. I closed the lid again, experiencing the same issue. I took it to the office (thinking I'd stop by the Genius Bar), and noticed that it never actually went to sleep. I'm going to try resetting the SMC.

16. chemistry76 macrumors member

I did have one "wake from sleep" issue yesterday too. I can't remember if it was before or after the SMC update.

I lifted the lid, and it wouldn't wake up.. Clicked the trackpad, pressed keys, briefly depressed the power button - nothing.

I just left the lid up, and after a couple minutes it woke up.

17. cristian.ny95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, I just woke up and wanted to see if power nap actually worked. So i first felt the bottom and it was actually cold to the touch, then i opened up the screen, entered my password and i had no emails, yet over night i received 5 new emails. Though my mail app was no open at all, does this matter and i have FileVault turned on, does that take away the PowerNap feature?

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

judging by the way notifications work, you probably have to have the mail app open

19. cristian.ny95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, Thats sounds not like apple. You would think they would have though of something like a background downloader but i guess it is what it is.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I agree it is dumb, but that is what you currently have to do to get email notifications when it is on =/

21. dmelgar macrumors 68000

The way I read that setting, is whether or not to enable power nap "when on battery". I'd assume that it's always enabled when not on battery. The option is to save battery power, not to control power nap overall.

Regarding put disks to sleep. This option is still useful for external drives.

22. sonofpismo macrumors regular

sonofpismo

That is correct, the Mail app needs to be open to receive notifications.

23. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

How to enable Power Nap on your MacBook Air (Late 2010)

It's officially unsupported by Apple, although it was supported by Apple on Late 2010 MBAs in the Developer Preview version with a special SMC. Power Nap works on my MacBook Air (13-inch, Late 2010) without issue using that SMC. Some people report it doesn't work on their Late 2010 MBA, so I don't know what's key to make it work.

How to enable Power Nap on your MacBook Air (Late 2010)

24. Bilemshious macrumors member

Bilemshious

Still not working?

I have a 2012 Air i5 1.8 running 10.8.1 and I still have not gotten Power Nap to work. Of course, I've gone into System Prefs and checked the box on both battery and power adapter.

Is there ANYthing else that would keep it from getting my emails, messages, etc.???

25. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if this matters or not, but do you have mail, etc opened when you put your computer to sleep? I don't know if they have to be running to work or not but its worth a try if your not doing it now.