Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Just posted a new article on enabling AC-3 again to https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16407141 . It may be the solution to the lack of AC-3?

Just posted another update to the article. Please, everybody suffering from the AC-3 removal problem, join the discussion there - and spread the word elsewhere. This is an issue where (as I've stated in the just-posted update) Apple themselves should try to make Dolby reconsider their ridiculously unrealistic demands.

yoot123

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
How can we reach apple . I've tried multiple times to email Dolby , they don't respond.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
How can we reach apple . I've tried multiple times to email Dolby , they don't respond.

(Also reposted the answer to the other thread):

Well, if we mail major mediums and keep the subject discussed so Dolby, at last, after having realized their demands are just unrealistic, reconsiders their licensing fees?

(Of course known, famous Apple fanboy tech blogs - the names are known to everyone with open eyes - won't really discuss the matter as they also know Apple's obeying Dolby's AppStore removal requests destroys the entire reputation of iOS. More fair ones will surely do.)

Last edited:

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
What's New in Version 2.1

Notice: no DTS/AC-3/E-AC-3/TrueHD audio support! Back up older version before upgrading
1 PowerPlayer now can work as a DLNA/UPnP server, click the "Wi-Fi" button of the PowerPlayer, the DLNA/UPnP server will be up and running
2 For DLNA/UPnP client, add a "Single Click to Play" setting

What's New in Version 2.0

Notice: no DTS/AC-3/E-AC-3/TrueHD audio support! Back up older version before upgrading
1 Camera Roll video playback supported (PowerPlayer-->Bottom Right button-->Camera Roll)
2 HTTPS downloading supported

CasperDK

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
DTS and AC3 decoding?

@Hustmobile:

You removed DTS and AC3 decoding as many others have done. The reason was the license fee for the codecs. I don't understand why can't you just charge more for your app and let us have the option to pay for it? I love your app, but currently it's unusable because it can't play the audio for 99% of all my mkv files.

PowerPlayer ftw! :D

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
CasperDK: for your suggestions, since the patent holder has declined the in-app purchase solution, so it cannot work this way.

PowerPlayer 2.2 released.

What's New in Version 2.2

1. WebDAV streaming playback supported

@Hustmobile:

You removed DTS and AC3 decoding as many others have done. The reason was the license fee for the codecs. I don't understand why can't you just charge more for your app and let us have the option to pay for it? I love your app, but currently it's unusable because it can't play the audio for 99% of all my mkv files.

PowerPlayer ftw! :D

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Just not good enough. There are now many players in the appstore that have officially license AC3 and DTS support. Suggest other users try those instead if those codecs are required.

nplayer:
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id539397400?mt=8

avPlayerHD:
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id407976815?mt=8

That's a bit of a harsh statement You say many but have only listed two. Seems the vast majority of media players in the app store do not have official licensing for these codecs and presumably for the reasons of cost. Many developers struggle to deliver a quality product to the app store and maintain a living. If the costs are prohibitive for these developers, it is surely their choice not to include this support, much in the same way it is your choice whether you purchase their app or an alternative.
I say choice but for many developers, they have no choice but to go without support for these features purely because they cannot afford it.

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
That's a bit of a harsh statement You say many but have only listed two. Seems the vast majority of media players in the app store do not have official licensing for these codecs and presumably for the reasons of cost. Many developers struggle to deliver a quality product to the app store and maintain a living. If the costs are prohibitive for these developers, it is surely their choice not to include this support, much in the same way it is your choice whether you purchase their app or an alternative.
I say choice but for many developers, they have no choice but to go without support for these features purely because they cannot afford it.

Yes, it may be harsh but that is the reality. If powerplayer or goodplayer want to be competitive they need to find a way to support it. Btw, I was just giving an example of other player that support ac3, there are more out there:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mplayer-best-media-player/id595251863?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/cinexplayer-hd-best-way-to/id384098375?mt=8

There are probably more that I haven't checked.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Yes, it may be harsh but that is the reality. If powerplayer or goodplayer want to be competitive they need to find a way to support it. Btw, I was just giving an example of other player that support ac3, there are more out there:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mplayer-best-media-player/id595251863?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/cinexplayer-hd-best-way-to/id384098375?mt=8

There are probably more that I haven't checked.

I agree but given so few are supporting it just now, I do feel this codec support will not be an option for most of the developers unless the licensing requirements are amended to facilitate the smaller developers out there.
Apple are partly to blame on this too imho with the restrictions they already have in place for movie playing apps. These devs need to offer alternative codec/container support in their apps to make them attractive in the first place given they can't officially use hardware decoding and if the devs can't afford to do so then these apps will slowly become redundant or close to it as more users are forced to use the Apple friendly formats and in turn just opt for the in built player. Apple are so proud of the size of the App store and the variety of content within, yet it's a shame they are still leaving developers of genuinely useful software hamstrung!
This is the kind of thing that long term may make the IOS platform less viable an option for some.

Last edited:

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
I agree but given so few are supporting it just now, I do feel this codec support will not be an option for most of the developers unless the licensing requirements are amended to facilitate the smaller developers out there.
Apple are partly to blame on this too imho with the restrictions they already have in place for movie playing apps. These devs need to offer alternative codec/container support in their apps to make them attractive in the first place given they can't officially use hardware decoding and if the devs can't afford to do so then these apps will slowly become redundant or close to it as more users are forced to use the Apple friendly formats and in turn just opt for the in built player. Apple are so proud of the size of the App store and the variety of content within, yet it's a shame they are still leaving developers of genuinely useful software hamstrung!
This is the kind of thing that long term may make the IOS platform less viable an option for some.

Well .. The codec situation does put some developers in a difficult situation, my original post was just pointing out that some developers have got around this situation and are supporting ac3. It is survival of the fittest. I hope Powerplayer can follow.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks.
All the information is helpful. We also are trying to figure out a way for the audio issue.

1 "MPlayer - Best Media Player" looks removed from App Store now
2 Be careful of DTS support, back up the apps that supports DTS now. It looks no app declares officially supporting DTS now.

PowerPlayer 2.3 released.

What's New in Version 2.3
1 SMB/CIFS streaming playback supported
2 UPnP/SMB/WebDAV client now generates the m3u playlist according to the sorting criteria

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/powerplayer/id520818788?mt=8

Well .. The codec situation does put some developers in a difficult situation, my original post was just pointing out that some developers have got around this situation and are supporting ac3. It is survival of the fittest. I hope Powerplayer can follow.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
PowerPlayer 2.6 released,

What's New in Version 2.6

SMB/CIFS client supports "Delete" and "Rename" operations now

What's New in Version 2.5

NFS(Network File System) client added for both streaming and downloading.
Please note that NFS server side must allow regular (non-root) users
to connect to your NFS shared folders!!!
So far, we only tested NFS client with OS X NFS server.
NFS server setting for OS X: edit the
"/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.nfsd.plist" file. Open it and
add the option "-N" to the startup parameters.
For the details, please check FAQ #12 of
http://www.hustmobile.com/powerplayer/index.html

What's New in Version 2.4

Fix the Wi-Fi HTTP server access issue

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
What's New in Version 2.8

1 Fix some iOS 7 bugs

What's New in Version 2.7

1 FTP and SMB clients add a new optional "Alias" field
2 Added a new setting: GoodPlayer --> Settings -->Others --> "Playable Files Only" for SMB/WebDAV/FTP/SFTP/NFS client

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
PowerPlayer 3.5 update log
Dropbox supported, “Network”—> “Dropbox”

PowerPlayer 3.4 update log

Google Drive, SkyDrive and Box supported, downloading feature only, “network icon”—> “Google Drive”, “SkyDrive”or “Box”

PowerPlayer 3.3 update log

1. Fix the SMB connection issue

PowerPlayer 3.2 update log
1. SMB/CIFS client supports OS X 10.9

PowerPlayer 3.1 update log
1 Open in improved
2 iOS 7 bug fixes

1. iOS 7 support improved
2 "Open in" support improved

PowerPlayer 3.0 update log
Streaming playback support improved

PowerPlayer 2.9 update log
iOS 7 support improved

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
PowerPlayer 3.6 released, AFP(Apple Filing Protocol, AppleTalk Filing Protocol) supported, both downloading and streaming

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.