Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
My wife and I went through an ordeal recently where she was misdiagnosed by a doctor and caused her to lose a baby. We decided last friday august 22 to drive to Las Vegas for a second honeymoon for three days. 120 miles from Vegas our car broke down. We have had it for three years, and we bought it new, and it only has 43,000 miles on it, and yet it dropped the transmission. Isuzu doesn't stock transmissions at dealers, so they said it would take 6 - 14 days to get one here, so we had to extend our stay. Our daughter Madison stayed in Louisiana with our neighbors.

Isuzu refused to pay for our room, food, etc, or even flights home. We came on a shoe string budget, but I wanted to do something for my wife because she had been so depressed. When they told us about the transmission, we extended our stay at the hotel and we didn't know they charged the entire room charge to us which left us with no money to book flights home. I would have flown home, and then came back, but we had no cash left. The transmission is supposed to be in on Tuesday and we should be able to head home on Tuesday evening, or Wednesday, but as you all know Gustav will hit tomorrow morning.

My baby girl is right in the path of this ****ing storm. For the first time in my life I am absolutely powerless to do anything. I cannot protect her, and I am having a breakdown basically. If you pray, please pray for my daughter. If you don't pray, please pray for my daughter. I am scared, beyond belief. I am trying to be strong for my wife, but it is getting harder and harder.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Words can't even express how sorry I am to hear about all of your troubles, and I'm sure your post can't even begin to express the feelings in your heart.

I will definitely keep your family, and especially your daughter, in my thoughts and prayers.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm not religious, but I actually did say a few things with my eyes closed, hoping that it would actually work.

You have the worst luck, but in a way, you've survived all of this, so perhaps you have the best luck ever.

Good luck. If I had the money, I would honestly lend it to so that you could go home, get your child, and fly back to Vegas. However, as a student who has been in uni for 8 years, I don't have it right now.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I'm not religious, but I actually did say a few things with my eyes closed, hoping that it would actually work.

You have the worst luck, but in a way, you've survived all of this, so perhaps you have the best luck ever.

Good luck. If I had the money, I would honestly lend it to so that you could go home, get your child, and fly back to Vegas. However, as a student who has been in uni for 8 years, I don't have it right now.

Thank you my man. Even if I had the money to get home, I can't as the airport is closed. It is a sad sad situation, and Isuzu should hang their heads in shame. We have had a very difficult two years, but I am so blessed with the wife and child I have. And my friends here. I am gonna go to the Apple store here, so if anyone wants to come meet us in person send me a note.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't have advice for you, Backtothemac, just a very great hope that your family will weather the storms you're facing, both literally and figuratively, and that you'll be on top of the world, happy and healthy, as soon as possible. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Sorry to hear this, Chuck. I know how when cash is in short supply Murphy's Law seems to assert itself often.

Hopefully your daughter is with family and will be kept safe. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
If Madison was left with the neighbors - shouldn't everything be ok then? I sincerely doubt they'd do anything to compromise her if they're the type of people you trusted her with in the first place.

If they up and left - leaving Madison alone - call the local PD or some other trustworthy party to help. Find some heavy hitters to deal with the neighbors later on...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Hang in there mate. Statistically she's going to come through this perfectly fine, and at least on this occasion your government isn't going to be caught with its pants down.

You entrusted your daughter to your neighbours, so they are obviously responsible people. Extend that trust for a little longer.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't have advice for you, Backtothemac, just a very great hope that your family will weather the storms you're facing, both literally and figuratively, and that you'll be on top of the world, happy and healthy, as soon as possible. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys.

Amen to that; good luck mate, and I hope that everything comes good for you.
Cheers and good luck

TheCrazyOnes

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
Home
My prayers are with you mate. Hang in there...hang in there
Not much of a religious man myself,
but I do believe in the power of the Universe.
From me and the missus here in Australia, our thoughts are with you in the next 48.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
They're not worth much, but my thoughts are with you, Backtothemac. Just take solace in the fact that you're not in the worst of situations, and it'll all be over in a couple of days. The best of luck to you.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
If there's any news that might relieve your anxiety, it's that Gustav is weakening. It's down to a category 2 now (still dangerous, but much better than a frikkin cat. 4 or 5)

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Not religious so can't pray but my heart goes out to you.

BTW it is cat 2 now & has been for 24hrs.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Thank you all for the kind words!!! We are going over to the Apple Store here in a few. We don't have one at home, so I want to see what they are like. Anyway, I talked to Madi this morning at 6 and again just a few minutes ago. The eyewall is going to move over lafayette here in a few hours, and I explained it to her. She is so cute, she was worried about us driving home in the storm.

Anyway, as of right now, she is safe, and secure. the worst will be there between three and four central time.

The thought all of you have given to me are fantastic. They calm me. And I thank you all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.