Pre installed os x lion iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by igoodso, Jun 6, 2011.

1. igoodso macrumors member

When do people think you will be able to order these with SSS

Will we be able to preorder

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

3. igoodso thread starter macrumors member

4. Electricidad macrumors newbie

When Lion is released you will get an update DVD with every new computer until all new ones are manufactured with it installed.

5. thisisanacc macrumors newbie

What is the exact release time? Some time in July?

6. seniorgeek macrumors member

No DVD's it will be only available for download.

The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.

7. thisisanacc macrumors newbie

So, I purchase a new iMac and then just go forward to Mac App Store and download it. It will be free?

8. seniorgeek macrumors member

I am not sure if no additional charge means free or $29.99.

9. wxman2003 Suspended

I saved $60 off my imac a week ago. So Lion will actually be free for me, with an overall saving of $30 on my imac. Not a bad day at all!

10. dtechlogic macrumors regular

I should have waited. i just got my mac three weeks ago. Dang it.

11. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Not if you bought your iMac before today!

I'm in the same boat. But really, it's $29.99. That's nothing considering how much I just paid for my iMac.

12. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yeah it's free for him, of course you understand what he means. He got $60 discount, so having to spend $30 for Lion upgrade still covered by the discount, it doesn't mean he'll get Lion for free.

13. Electricidad macrumors newbie

Wrong. You're assuming EVERY computer purchased will have internet access and an individual AppleID registered. How about non-individual uses like an office or people that don't use the internet? How about the thousands of retailers that sell Apple products, don't you think you'll be peeved at being cheated out of revenue?

There WILL be physical distribution media. Apple has no choice in the matter.

14. seniorgeek macrumors member

You are wrong!

Check the Apple website, it states it very clearly.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

15. mac.rumors macrumors regular

I could be wrong, but it looks like Apple is only talking about upgrade to Lion being via the App Store. They haven't talked about new install, and I think that would be on some kind of physical media.

16. tsugaru macrumors 6502

I'm going to assume Apple will allow you to make an install disc for Lion.

I'm sure sysadmins are not going to be keen to have to download 4GB per Mac in their offices just to update the OS.

Or for people like me, who want to nuke/reformat their hard drives prior to OS installs.

17. Electricidad macrumors newbie

Yes, that the UPGRADE will be download only.

As tsugaru said, they must supply a way to erase the drive on OS installs. And I seriously doubt it would load the entire 4GB download into ram, thats one power outage away from a blank computer and no way to restore it.

Notice on the website; http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html
    That means when they start shipping with Lion preinstalled there WILL be a physical install disk or USB stick with the computer.

18. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

That shows what ships with iMacs shipping today, which will have SL installed until Lion is released. I have a feeling that Macs that come with Lion preinstalled will not include physical discs.

Apple is saying if you can't download it over the internet then too bad.

19. Yorr macrumors member

Yorr

But how about all those ppl that orderd their iMac in May, and still waiting for their computer.. are we getting a free update to Lion as well? Sofar, i can install my iMac end of this month..

20. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Pretty sure it runs by the shipping date/date they charge your credit card.

21. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Hi Senior, could you please direct me to the page where it shows that up-to-date upgrade program on Apple's site? I seem to be having a difficult time finding that.

Edit: Nevermind! Found it with a bit of googling: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/06/06lion.html

Thanks for bringing that up anyway! It's good to know this!

Apple's site states that Lion will be have a built in partition so I don't know how you wouldn't be able to create clean installs from that. People seem to be missing that.

There won't be a physical disc or USB key. I don't know how else Apple could say it more clearer than they did at the keynote.

22. lars666, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

lars666 macrumors 6502a

How will this be managed when I sell my Mac someday? Imagine I only have an App store download of "Lion", no physical copy: Can I do a fresh install of Lion for the buyer or would he/she need my Apple ID / password for activating/using it? Even if not, will the OS on this computer still be "connected" with me via Apple ID, even if it now belongs to someone else? (Worst case: He/She's doing illegal pirating stuff with it ...) Do I create a separate partition with the Lion download installer for the buyer? Questions over questions ...

(and what if I want to boot from the OSX disc to repair the hard disk via Utilities - the case when you had a kernel panic or hard reset and you need to repair it BEFORE having loaded the system from it?)

23. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Another possible reason why

To try an prevent users from downloading lion illegally from torrents.

24. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

I would say this is apple trying to kill the second hand market , if you have to wipe your Mac before you sell it (which i would do, i dont want any risk of my apple ID or anything else persisting) , and the person buying it has no way of installing an OS unless an OS is already installed, then they are stuck or have to go to an apple store for an install at what will no doubt be good chunk of change.

All in all i am not impresed by the direction apple is going, it has all but said, if you read between the lines, that its going to move Mac OSX to be more like iOS, eventually i see apple removing the ability to install apps in any other fashion than via the App store from the OS, maybe not in OSX, but come the big 11 update i dont think they will be able to resist.

Still, im going to get a BTO iMac shortly, and if nothing else, have a very nice all in one running Snow Leapord, and Windows 7 via bootcamp.

I see lion as the Mac step towards an OS that macs me shift back to Windows, as Vista was the OS that made me step over to Mac in the first place.