Pre Iphone era

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jd125p, Jul 15, 2009.

1. jd125p macrumors newbie

jd125p

Hey guys,

So i recently had to give up my iphone for a few days and go back to using my old sprint/nextel i902. It brought me back to the good old days when a phone was just a phone. I want to you know what you guys miss about those days before you got your first smart phone (if anything)? Or what you what you would miss the most if you had to give up your precious iphone today?

I missed that excessively almost unnecessarily loud ring and aggressive vibe, the first time i heard that thing go off i though there was a parade passing my house. And remember driving in a car with a few people and just talking? Not checking your email every 5 seconds or simultaneously texting 8 people?

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I miss having the top score in snake, doing mods to my phones like when I had the nextel i90 and i95 when they came out. Changing the housings (made a killing on ebay selling them too), hacking the LCD to show my name instead of nextel. Most of probably miss not having to tell people to STOP sending me text messages because I don't use them (finally had att disable feature)

3. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    I have a HTC Hermes, and I have to say, I really miss the earthquake-like vibration of my old LG TU500.
    Sometimes I miss text messages and calls because I can't even feel the vibration of my Hermes :(

Now THERE is something that is missing from most modern phones. Snake.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I honestly don't miss anything about my old phone. My old phone was a decent Samsung phone before I got the original iPhone on launch date. But I really didn't use it that much, since it was a pain to text on and I don't call very many people and the games weren't good.

5. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

I had a Sony Z525 that I hardly ever used because I'm rarely on the phone. It was a nice enough phone, but nothing I really miss about it. I'd miss how small it was, except that it would cause me to forget it sometimes since I had to bring my PDA and my iPod along with it. Now I don't need any of those. :)

6. duncanapple macrumors 6502

What I miss the most is not having to be so careful with my phone. I used to throw my moto razor on a table, in my swimming bag, in a shoe, the cup holder of my car, leave it in a hot/cold car, etc. All without worrying it would be stolen if I took an eye off of it or scratched if I put it on the wrong surface.

The iphone however, for all its great features, is a bit crippling when it comes to living with the thing. I realize most of that is my own AR, but its a scratch magnet, and costs quite a bit more than my other phones did.

Just me I suppose...

7. Lakerfan210 macrumors regular

I miss my nextel i860. I dropped it when I was getting off my big rig. It didn't completely break but it had a couple cracks and the antenna would come off so it wasn't really useful. I was going to replace it but I wasn't satified with nextel so I switch to Cingular, now At&t. Til this day I have that phone. I guess it has sentimental value.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Anaconda? I had that for my iPod touch and now iPhone

9. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

Ah my good ol' moto v551.... That thing was a trooper run over by a truck, sprayed by a sprinkler and still managed to function flawlessly. Now snake! I remember playing that on my moms phone in the car when I was 12...

10. dlemmon macrumors regular

having not had an iPhone that long, I'd say I miss being able to feel the buttons when texting. it's really hard to text while driving when you have to look down every two seconds to make sure you're hitting the right keys instead of just feeling my way around. :D

11. carson44 macrumors member

Or you could just not text and drive...very unsafe

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I only miss the more-affordable $45 bills and not having to pay $299 for the device. As far as the monthly bills, I don't see those going down much because of the cell phone oligarchy we have. Even with two really huge providers, two other big providers, and a lot of smaller competitors, you get pretty much the same options between all of the big boys. Want an iPhone? You're probably going to have to deal with a big boy, plus you want a network that is in more places than just your neighborhood.

But as far as the device cost, I just look at it as buying a new iPod. That's still my top time-consuming use of an iPhone. But the extra cash is worth it a lot of the time when you go somewhere and need some info off the Internet.

I had a couple of Motorola phones before this. The Razr was pretty good for its time and price, plus it would sync using iSync. Now it's pretty much old news. I'm looking toward the Samsung Eternity for my parents if Apple doesn't come out with a phone that works like the iPhone but doesn't require the extra data plan. The Eternity seems to be kinda close to being that.

13. arykmax macrumors regular

I liked the aggressive vibrate and snake. I hated the light up antennas.

Just yesterday I was explaining to one of my employees about my first cell phone - the bagphone. First time since I've turned 30 that I've actually felt 30.

14. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I also miss the game Snake. I still have my Nokia 8260.

Recently I was between iPhones, having sold my 3G and using those funds to buy the 3GS.

For about a week I had my sim in my old Moto L2 (which took a great charge after about two years of just sitting flat) and enjoyed the simplicity of 'just a phone'.

A sidenote on the L2; that earpiece volume is just too soft.

I am glad to be back to the iPhone as texting has become quite convenient for work and disseminating snippets of info. T9 predictive input just only goes so far lol.

15. sparkles61785 macrumors regular

I miss the longevity of my Motorola E815's battery. The thing was even resilient. It survived all 1,000,000 drops.

16. Nickday89 macrumors regular

I miss the battery life- a week(until the final few weeks/months. at that point it was lasting only a couple phone calls, or one long phone call), the durability as i was always dropping or throwing my old RAZR, the fact that it was really thin and a flip phone.

17. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I miss being able to throw my phone against the wall when I was angry and still having it work perfectly fine. Also the lower phone bills

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I miss the days when I wasn't obsessed with a phone :rolleyes:

19. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

mmmm i miss the form factor of some of my old phones. Like the 7110 matrix phone i used to have. with the button to slide it down

[​IMG]

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I used my old Motorola V400 with a foreign pay as you go SIM while I was in Europe.

What I miss: :rolleyes:
    -the crappy battery life
    -the soft call volume . . . who needs to actually hear what the other person is saying anyway?
    -the numeric keypad when texting . . . considering it's cheaper to text, I found out how much fun it was to text using a numeric keypad
    -it's so dumpy and ugly that no thief in their right mind would want to steal it
    -the non-intuitive menus

Using this phone reminded me why I got the iphone in the first place.

Like with everything else, the good old days weren't that great.

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I don't really miss my razr - by then I felt that technology was about to 'burst' and the razr was past it's prime.

I do, however, kinda miss my old nokia non-colour handset. But only in a nostalgia kind of way.

I remember lusting over this bad boy back when ClearNET existed:

[​IMG]

22. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

the only phone i miss is my motorola star tac. maybe my nokia 3390, the phone that showed me the necessity of providers needing to offer unlimited txt. windows mobile devices i will never miss.

also, whomever misses snake, needs to download omnomnom from the app store.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I miss:

* Charging my phone every 6 days instead of every 14 hours.
    * Having 1 dropped call per month insted of 2 per day.
    * Not being able to break my phone's case if I tried to.

Besides those 3 things, everything else is better on the iPhone

24. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

25. lavinci macrumors 6502

I miss the outrageously long battery life because regular phones only have the tiny screen and talk time to worry about.