Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Yosemite looks and feels amazing, I'm running PB2 as we speak and enjoy it all, even the "blue" folders.

In some of the desktop post threads I cringe as Mavericks looks so dated.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
Who the hell is using 10.8?

Everyone in my building. Software we use doesn't run on 10.9 so we aren't shifting anytime soon.

----------

Yosemite looks and feels amazing, I'm running PB2 as we speak and enjoy it all, even the "blue" folders.

In some of the desktop post threads I cringe as Mavericks looks so dated.

Mavericks looks much better than Yosemite. The design is horrid to look at.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
I was thinking of installing the beta, i've heard its really stable... In your opinion is it stable enough to be used on my primary machine?

ABSOLUTELY!! I've had PB1 and now PB2 on both my MBP 2009 15" unibody and my just purchased 2014 rMBP 15". Both released betas have worked fine. PB1 had a few small bugs but nothing that interfered with daily use. I also run vmware fusion 6 on both machines with Win7 and KALI Linux as VM's. No hiccups with anything. My '09 MBPS is soon to become my daughters while I take the '14 MBPS as my own. Yosemite is good stuff!

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
And why is that?

For mac, it is simple
1. More stable
2. Better battery
3. Faster startup time
4. More compatibility
5. Less bugs/crashes

For iOS,
1. I had so many syncing issues with iTunes 11 & iOS 7, I swapped out for an iPhone 5 with the latest iOS 6 firmware and using 10.7. Not only is it more organized, but syncing is quicker and less stressful. Haven't had any issues.
2. Music App - iOS 6 TRUMPS the iOS 7 music app.
3. I would argue better battery life, some might find that debatable. From my experience, it is better with iOS 6.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Everyone in my building. Software we use doesn't run on 10.9 so we aren't shifting anytime soon.

----------

Mavericks looks much better than Yosemite. The design is horrid to look at.

I guess it depends on design opinion, Yosemite is much cleaner, attractive and modern. It makes Mavericks and prior OS feel like early 2000's icons and design. I have a feeling it's more of a "what we know/fearing change" thing than a "horrid to look at", these are professional designers putting this together and understand the modern appeal they needed to bring to the UI.

Mavericks, to me, looks dull, boring, dated and somewhat goofy AFTER seeing Yosemite. Before I was "ok" with it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I guess it depends on design opinion, Yosemite is much cleaner, attractive and modern. It makes Mavericks and prior OS feel like early 2000's icons and design. I have a feeling it's more of a "what we know/fearing change" thing than a "horrid to look at", these are professional designers putting this together and understand the modern appeal they needed to bring to the UI.

Mavericks, to me, looks dull, boring, dated and somewhat goofy AFTER seeing Yosemite. Before I was "ok" with it.

i agree. at first it took some getting used to especially those blue new folder icons but i have gotten so used to it by now i barely can remember what it looked like before

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
I was thinking of installing the beta, i've heard its really stable... In your opinion is it stable enough to be used on my primary machine?
Well, it has been stable yes. Xcode on the other hand is crashing constantly.

The answer to your question depends on what you do on your primary machine. If it's just for monkeying around MacRumors, I'd go ahead if I were you. On the other hand if you're running business or have priceless data on that machine I'd be less hesitant.

It's easy enough to try without losing your current setup. Simply partition the disc so you can install Mavericks and Yosemite side-by-side. That's what I did, works well.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
They say 2.6 million machines. Didn't Apple give access to only 1 million people for public beta?

Assuming people only installed the beta on one machine, that would mean at least 1.6 million of those machines are either developers or people who got the OS through pirating.

2.6 million divided by 33 is 78787. So even if you disregard all public beta users, 78K people were using Mavericks through developer account or pirating, compared to 1.6 million for Yosemite.

aaronbau

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
If any of you lazy, opinionated asses actually read the article, you would take note that MacRumors did in fact mention the public beta adding to the increase in the early adoption rate, making you look like an ass. Frankly, if you aren't reading the articles, why are you even here?

Thanks!

Also, users, please do not +1 stupid comments such as theirs as it detracts from the quality of the community here. I challenge you to do more thinking, and not conform to the status quo, per se.

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
Who the hell is using 10.8?

I hope that the others are due to hardware support (lack of), otherwise someone is really missing a lot of great stuff.

Me. At first because the initial release was not stable enough. Now because I haven't had the time to do it and make sure all my software is fully compatible.

----------

They say 2.6 million machines. Didn't Apple give access to only 1 million people for public beta?
Many users have more than one machine. Plus all the developers are not counted in the public beta group.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Many users have more than one machine. Plus all the developers are not counted in the public beta group.

Yes but as I said in my original post, most people install a beta OS on one machine especially if they are using the public beta. Developers are more prone to install them on different machines to make sure everything works in every machine.

So if you remove 1 million, you are left with 1.6 million vs 78K.

Still a big difference.

But that's what the article says as well, before the public beta Yosemite beta usage was 4 times higher than Mavericks.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Glad to see Snow Leopard still having around 12% of Mac market share.

I regretfully account for 2 of those machines. They can't be upgraded further (without hacking) and I'm holding out for Intel's new chips next year for all three of my computers. I think my iMac will support Yosemite. Probably will be the final OS it runs while it's in my possession.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Snow Leopard user here

I'm still using Snow Leopard on my first gen MacBook at home, but this is not saying much. It has not been on since last October. If Apple comes out with capable Aperture replacement and good video editing software for iPad, the original MacBook with Snow Leopard will be my last OS X device. Who could have thunk it, that my last "personal computer" was brought in 2006.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Snow Leopard stoic

Still on Snow leopard, and will stay there as long as i can find machines to support it.

I am way too old to be worried about such silly things as style - as long as the icons point me in the right direction, all is well.

The new inclusions, such as iCloud and IOS syncing, are of no use to me at all, and the loss of Software Update is a deal-killer for me. I don't fancy having to go "other" routes to get updates.

Ubuntu is beckoning.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Yosemite chart is meaningless without the same timeframe 7 months + vs 3 months in that chart ... Needs to be 3 months lead-up of Mavericks v 3 months of Yosemite lead-up time ..

They are comparing August numbers of Yosemite with September numbers of Mavericks actually. In August vs August Yosemite would have had even more lead.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand

I'm the opposite. I feel Yosemite is very similar to Tiger and looks very unpolished. Mavericks looks professional, while Yosemite just feels like an upgrade for the sake of an upgrade.

But to each his own.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

I'm a little confused by your comment. You call Mavericks dull, boring, dated, and goofy. Then you give the designers of Yosemite praise for being professional designers who understand the modern...

Aren't they the same designers, and wouldn't they have had the same understanding designing Mavericks? :confused:

Or are you saying their design aesthetic changed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.