Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
The "success" story for my K420 was only about the usage of the tools and the logs from terminal. This card did not work in the 3,1 (for obvious reasons) but also not on my 5,1. So the question is now: Do I also have to run the script and tools on a 5,1 instead of 3,1 -> would have thought that the patching process itself is agnostic of this?
Doesn't matter where to run the script.
But MP3.1 isn't supported, modified videocard won't work in this machine.

Can you upload your modded rom?

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Doesn't matter where to run the script.
But MP3.1 isn't supported, modified videocard won't work in this machine.

Can you upload your modded rom?
That's what I thought from the beginning (but got doubts in between due to strange error output & result in 5,1 also).
Will be back after weekend and upload the ROMs then. Thanks!

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Could anyone post success stories (versions of tools used and GOP boot screen modded cards) ?
Yep. AMD OEM 6900XT using the instructions in the beginning of the thread plus some changes described here:
There is another success story for a DELL OEM RX-580 (this in essence is an RX-480 OEM as far as the hardware is concerned), but that is purely a courtesy from @Ausdauersportler as the automatic script would not work there due to insufficient space. Thanks @Ausdauersportler!

Reactions: Larsvonhier

idenis42

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2020
Yep. AMD OEM 6900XT using the instructions in the beginning of the thread plus some changes described here:
There is another success story for a DELL OEM RX-580 (this in essence is an RX-480 OEM as far as the hardware is concerned), but that is purely a courtesy from @Ausdauersportler as the automatic script would not work there due to insufficient space. Thanks @Ausdauersportler!
There is a place in the bios!

lisavani

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Hello brilliant techies ;-) After days of reading in this forum and also in other places, I gathered all my courage and flashed the Mac Pro 2009 4.1->5.1 (that my father gave me) with EnableGop.ffs. Fortunately, it turned out well.

I tested all the video cards that we have in the household and have a wonderful interference-free boot screen with all these cards:
nVidia GeForce GTX 680, nVidia Quadro K2200, nVidia Quadro K4000, nVidia Quadro K5000, MSI Radeon R9 280X Twin Frozer OC 3G Gaming and MSI Radeon RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC.

It just doesn't work at all with the AMD Radeon HD 7950 reference model. That one stays black.. I still have no idea why not.

Thank you all for your great work!

Attachments

• Test Result .png
    Test Result .png
    196.3 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: netsrot39

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Hello brilliant techies ;-) After days of reading in this forum and also in other places, I gathered all my courage and flashed the Mac Pro 2009 4.1->5.1 (that my father gave me) with EnableGop.ffs. Fortunately, it turned out well.

I tested all the video cards that we have in the household and have a wonderful interference-free boot screen with all these cards:
nVidia GeForce GTX 680, nVidia Quadro K2200, nVidia Quadro K4000, nVidia Quadro K5000, MSI Radeon R9 280X Twin Frozer OC 3G Gaming and MSI Radeon RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC.

It just doesn't work at all with the AMD Radeon HD 7950 reference model. That one stays black.. I still have no idea why not.

Thank you all for your great work!
If you're able to do some tests, it would be useful to know whether EnableGop version 1.1 works with the 7950.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Btw, win-raid forums was off-line (you can read about here and here) and I found that they changed the domain.

This is the correct url for the AMD and Nvidia GOP update (No requests, DIY) thread:

marius_3d

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
Hello, do you think i can use this tool on my cMP 5.1 stuck on MP51.0084.B00? I do not have an EFI GPU to update the firmware, only AMD RX 570.

lisavani

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Btw, win-raid forums was off-line (you can read about here and here) and I found that they changed the domain.

This is the correct url for the AMD and Nvidia GOP update (No requests, DIY) thread:

Tsialex thank you for the link. I tried today, following lordkag's instructions as described in the 1st few posts, to flash my rom with gop but unfortunately it failed.
I have, like he says it himself, dropped the rom on the bat in Mac OS, windows 10 and windows 7 but nothing changes. I don't know what I am doing wrong.
It does irritate me because even though the HD 7950 is from 2012 I would still like to have it flashed. It is a brand new card from NOS (new old stock) and it is still supported in Monterey.
Maybe flashing it can only be done in a 32 bit windows?

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Hello, do you think i can use this tool on my cMP 5.1 stuck on MP51.0084.B00? I do not have an EFI GPU to update the firmware, only AMD RX 570.
Not tested, but I would say v. unlikely. The way it works is specific to MacPro or iMac firmware of exactly this era (regardless of whether it's installed into firmware of VBIOS).

Sightly a sidetrack, I guess, but why stuck?

lisavani

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Tsialex thank you for the link. I tried today, following lordkag's instructions as described in the 1st few posts, to flash my rom with gop but unfortunately it failed.
I have, like he says it himself, dropped the rom on the bat in Mac OS, windows 10 and windows 7 but nothing changes. I don't know what I am doing wrong.
It does annoy me because even though the HD 7950 is from 2012 I would still like to have it flashed. It is a brand new card from NOS (new old stock) and it is still supported in Monterey.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It does annoys me because even though the HD 7950 is from 2012 I would still like to have it flashed. It is a brand new card from NOS (new old stock) and it is still supported in Monterey.

For a so old GPU, I think that is better to try to flash it with a Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition derived Mac EFI firmware than try to add GOP to the GPU firmware. You have to add the Mac EFI to the GPU original unmodified factory firmware.

You will have some trouble finding all the scripts and EFI components nowadays, since Netkas site is gone. Ask help on the thread above.

Won't make a diff.

marius_3d

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
Not tested, but I would say v. unlikely. The way it works is specific to MacPro or iMac firmware of exactly this era (regardless of whether it's installed into firmware of VBIOS).

Sightly a sidetrack, I guess, but why stuck?
Technicaly not stuck but i can’t find EFI GPU.

Henninges

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017
Helmstedt / Germany
It does annoys me because even though the HD 7950 is from 2012 I would still like to have it flashed. It is a brand new card from NOS (new old stock) and it is still supported in Monterey.
get a HD7950.ROM with UGA added at my googledrive:

maybe watch my clip about flashing an HD7970 with freedos:

place the vbios of the 7950 into the freedos folder...

dont try to flash the card inside of your cMP, doesn't go well on mine...good luck.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
A few members asked about any guide to flash the Mac Pro 5,1 with EnableGop. TBH, the readme file contain all the required info already, but it seems some users perfer a more detailed guidence. So, I would like to make a more "step by step" guide here about how to create the ROM, double check, and flash it etc.

This is not the only way to do it, and it's a bit over complicated. However, this procedure contain a lot of safety precausions and checking steps. Therefore, if you straightly follow this guide. The risk of bricking the cMP should be very low.

A)
Before start, the user is recommended to download all these
  1. ROMTool (credit to dosdude. Password to unzip is rom)
  2. UEFITool (credit to LongSoft)
  3. DXEInject (credit to dosdude)
  4. Hex Friend (credit to kainjow)
  5. RomDump Macschrauber (credit to Macschrauber)
  6. EnableGop.ffs (credit to Bmju, unzip the file, then go to Utilities/EnableGop)

B)
Prepare your Mac Pro 5,1's ROM image. Ideally, you already has a clean / reconstructed 144.0.0.0.0 ROM image to start with. Then you can skip this section, and jump to section C below. Otherwise, there are few ways to dump the existing ROM, but the recommended way in this post is to use RomDump Macschrauber.
  1. When you open the DMG file, you should see something like this. All we need is just run the app.
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 18.04.53.png
  2. When you run the app, you should see something like this, the default option should be backup firmware, just press "Enter" to continue
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 18.07.16.png
  3. It will show you a window about require admin password, please follow the onsreen instruction and enter your admin password. Depends on your Gatekeeper setting. macOS may ask you to restart your cMP.
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 18.07.25.png
  4. Then RomDump will read the ROM image from the chip, and save it in your Download folder
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 18.07.32.png
  5. Once it's done, you should see something like this
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 18.08.06.png
  6. As you can see, the file name is XXXXXXXXXXXX_144.0.0.0.0_Gop_SST25VF032B_DD.DD.DDDD_TT-TT-TT.bin in my case. Your dump will have a different name (XXXXXXXXXXXX is the full serial number of your Mac, DD.DD.DDDD is the date, TT-TT-TT is the time).

In finder, right click the bin file, and select "Get Info", check the file size, it MUST be 4,194,304 bytes. If not, something is wrong. Stop here.

Apart from that, please take some time to read the report.

The firmware MUST be 144.0.0.0.0. If NOT, stop here, update your cMP's BootROM first.

There should be zero Microsoft certificates. If NOT, stop here, fix the bootROM first. My suggestion is to request help in this thread.

Similarly, check the BootROM's free space. In my case, 25190 avail. If that's lower than 20000, please perform a 4x NVRAM reset, then re-do step B1-B5 to dump the ROM, and check again. If the free space still low, then something is wrong, please go to this thread and ask for help.

Since I've already flashed by cMP. Therefore, in my example, EnableGopDirect 1.2 is already there. In your case, it shouldn't be there yet.

C)
Once you have the original 144.0.0.0.0 BootROM ready, we can start to patch the ROM
  1. In Finder, we open a new folder inside the download folder, and name it EnableGopROM
  2. Move your 144.0.0.0.0 ROM image (e.g. the bin file dump from step B5) into the EnableGopROM folder
  3. Rename the bin file to 144.bin
  4. Move DXEInject to the EnableGopROM folder
  5. Move EnableGop.ffs (or EnableGopDirect.ffs if required) to the EnableGopROM folder
  6. The result should looks like this
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.03.22.png
  7. Open Terminal
  8. enter "cd " (cd with a space)
  9. drag the EnableGopROM folder into the terminal window
  10. It should looks like this
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 21.59.21.png
  11. Press enter
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.00.22.png
  12. Enter the following command into terminal (please enter the exact file name of EnableGop.ffs, e.g. including the version number if EnableGop.ffs is updated)
    Code:
    ./DXEInject 144.bin 144Gop.bin EnableGop.ffs
  13. Nothing will return in terminal. However, if you check your EnableGopROM folder now, you will see the new 144Gop.bin file is created
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.05.43.png

D)
Now we can varify if the 144Gop.bin is created correctly
  1. Open the UEFITool
  2. Drag the 144Gop.bin into the UEFITool window
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.21.26.png
  3. Press Command + F to bring up the search window
  4. Choose GUID
  5. Choose Header only
  6. enter BAE7599F-3C6B-43B7-BDF0-9CE07AA91AA6
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.22.22.png
  7. press OK
  8. Double-click on the search result (the blue line in the screen capture)
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.22.46.png
  9. As you can see from the above screen capture, the BAE7599F... entry will be highlighted automatically. This is NOT what we want. Instead, we expend the one BELOW it (3FBA58B1....), then you should able to see the User interface section. Click this line, and you should able to see the EnableGop version in the right hand side window. [The link in this post already updated to EnableGop 1.4]
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.28.18.png
  10. This is the first check. And now we can close UEFITool, and go for the second check
  11. Go back to the Macschrauber's CMP Rom Dump dmg, double click the test_nvram.app
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.36.50.png
  12. Drag 144Gop.bin into the window
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.38.20.png
  13. Click Choose, wait for a few seconds, then you should see the result
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.37.04.png
  14. In the above example, I inject the EnableGop 1.3 on top of my existing ROM dump that already has EnableGopDirect 1.2. Therefore, both entries show up. But in your case, there should be one and only one entry related to EnableGop(Direct). If not, delete the 144Gop.bin, do NOT use it. And start from the beginning again. If you start from a clean / reconstructed ROM, the final result should looks like this
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.43.50.png
  15. Last but not least, check the 144Gop.bin file size in Finder, it MUST be exactly 4,194,304 bytes
  16. With this triple checks, the 144Gop.bin should be safe to use.

E)
We can now flash the Mac.
  1. Shutdown the Mac
  2. Press and HOLD power button to turn on the Mac. Do NOT release the power button until the long beep (after the normal start up chime) is finished.
  3. Once the beep sound completed, you can release the power button, and let the cMP boot back to normal desktop again.
  4. Open ROMTool (RomDump Macschrauber should able to do the same thing. But we use ROMTool here).
  5. Select Dump System ROM, enter password as per on screen instruction, and save your existing ROM image (as backup)
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 23.02.41.png
  6. Select Flash System ROM
  7. Drag 144Gop.bin into the window
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.59.28.png
  8. Click Open
  9. It will ask you to put the Mac into firmware flashing mode, which should be done already
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 22.59.32.png

10. Click Continue, and enter admin password as per onscreen instrcution, let it finish the job. Do NOT use your computer to do anything, do not browse the web, do not play video / music. Please just don't do anything and wait for a few seconds.
  11. Once it's done. Do NOT reboot your Mac. It's our last chance to fix the problem if we did anything wrong.

F)
Final check before reboot.
  1. Re-do steps B1-B5. Now, you should see EnableGop(Direct) is detected in step B5
  2. Open Hex Freind
  3. drag 144Gop.bin into the window
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 23.11.14.png
  4. Press Command + O
  5. Drag the latest dump from step F1 into the window
  6. Click Open
  7. Press Command + Shift + D
  8. You should see "Documents are identical"
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 23.17.28.png
  9. This should be good enough to confirm the ROM is correctly flashed
  10. If any of the steps above shows abnormal result (e.g. no EnableGop detected in step F1, or the documents are not identical in step F8), do NOT reboot. But flash the Untitled.bin (from step E5) back into the cMP. This is the last known good bootable ROM.

[N.B. If you flash Untitled.bin back into the cMP, please use RomDump Macschrauber to dump the ROM, and use Hex Friend to compare this dump vs Untitled.bin. They should be identical]

Never ever shutdown / reboot your Mac until you get this "Documents are identical". This is your final safety net.

F) Reboot. And now your cMP should able to give you native UEFI GOP boot screen

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Does someone get cursor only on a black screen after wake from sleep? In recovery mode wake from sleep looks like the acceleration is gone.
1683041367035.png

After that the screen turned completely grey.

Last edited:

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Does someone get cursor only on a black screen after wake from sleep? In recovery mode wake from sleep looks like the acceleration is gone.
View attachment 2196579
After that the screen turned completely grey.
I've done multiple sleep-wake cycles (just during normal usage) on one Nvidia and one AMD card (just basic models GT710 and RX560), mainly with EnableGop rather than direct, also both ways of burning it (firmware, VBIOS) - no issues with this so far.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.