Pre-Order vs In-Store Pickup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewskyle, Oct 6, 2011.

1. matthewskyle macrumors member

So I will have the day off next friday so if I didn't want to wait, would it be easier to just go to my nearest apple store?

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

3. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

4. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

screw a line just preorder and the fedex or ups man will have it to your house early afternoon or early evening...

It is not that serious... Since steve died i am thinking the lines will be extra long on release this time

5. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I preordered for in-store pickup for iP4 launch and I still waited a good while. I was happy to do it, kinda fun. Did it again for the iPad 2. But now I'm kinda over it. FedEx FTW.

6. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Pre-order and In Store pick up (reservation) are 2 different things.

1) Pre-order-You buy and phone is shipped to your house on release day
    2)In store pick up (reservation)-You don't pay for the phone when you make your reservation. You pay when you pick up at the store. They are basically holding the phone for you

Don't think they are doing in store pick up this year because they haven't said a word about it, only pre-order

7. matthewskyle thread starter macrumors member

from what I understood, you won't get it on launch..it will be shipped on the 14th so it would arrive around 17-19th.

8. njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

I am not sure either. I chatted online last night with an Apple person and they said to check back tonight. I'm trying as I type...

9. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Not true. Phone is shipped prior to the 14th and arrives on the 14. Hell, last year some phones arrived a day early.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

If it's shipped directly from China like previous iPhones and the iPads then it will likely take longer then that. It all depends when they ship your phone.

11. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I asked the Apple Store Chat, and the representative said you can expect the phone to arrive on the 14th.

12. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

The experience at the store is like no other. It's so fun queuing up with other Apple geeks! I'd definitely go with that if I were you. :D

13. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

dont think that is true it wasnt like that for the 4 ipad or 3gs so why would they start that now

----------

mine shipped from mephis for the 3gs and from texas for the 4... stop fretting you will have it on the 14th overnight shipping is amazing

14. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

the pictures I've seen have all the Apple geeks ignorning each other busily posting twitter updates "I'm lining up to get the latest iwhatever" ;)

15. Mr.C macrumors 601

Yes and they likely came from China via those cities using FedEx. I've preordered the iPhone 4, iPad and iPad 2 and all were shipped from China and took around 10 days to get here. Not to mention in all three cases I read various posts on various forums of US customers getting theirs from China and it taking around 6 to 7 days. Even my 2011 Mac Mini was shipped directly From China and took 10 days. Apple ships the majority of it's products whether it be regular orders or preorders directly to the customer from it's factory in China. If you look at the tracking then they come via Shenzhen and Hong Kong through Alaska and Tennessee using FedEx or UPS.

16. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Do you have to be there to sign for delivery?

17. rkahl macrumors 65816

No, just sign the pre release form.

18. TLewis macrumors 65816

This, although the early deliveries last year may have been a fluke. IIRC, when the 3GS was shipped, Apple arranged with the US delivery companies to sit on the shipments and not deliver the packages until release day. Last year, it was surprising to see some lucky people get theirs a day early. It'll be interesting to see what happens this year.

19. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Haha. We occasionally take breaks to chat. ;)

20. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I personally like to support Apple's retail operations because the stores are what I want to see more of in general. But it's probably more comfy and cozy to order online and just wait for it. That way, you don't have to work to see if it's in stock at a store, or kill a few people to get a 4S. Apple just ships it when they get it.

But like I said, I'd rather wait until the smoke clears in a few months and buy it at an Apple store when things are more calmed down.

21. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

not mine... not trying to argue though a lot of people that was getting international shipments had their tracking numbers days in advance saying shipped from hong kong or whatever i got my the night before saying shipped from mephis

22. TLewis macrumors 65816

If it's not coming from China, then you likely ordered something that was no longer in high demand (short supply), and so Apple was able to build up stock in the US; high-demand items seem to be direct-shipped from China. For the 4S, it'll be interesting to see if Apple is now loading the iOS5 GM onto the already-built iPhones and shipping them here, or if everything is going to be direct-shipped from China. Note that deliveries from China can take much less than 7-10 days -- it just costs more.

Whatever happens, my guess is that Tim Cook & company will insure that the majority of pre-order shipments will arrive on release day. That part of the customer experience is important to them.

23. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

i preordered all within the first hour of sales so they all were high demand "new releases" and none of my shipments came from china. at one point i was beginning to worry because a lot of people on here were posting their tracking numbers from china.

24. TLewis macrumors 65816

Then you were amazingly lucky or gifted or something. :D

25. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I don't want to start a new thread for this but I can't find out anywhere so I'll just post it here and hope I get a response.

Do we know what time online preorders are supposed to start? Like today is October 6th, will it be at midnight? Or like tomorrow, Friday (October 7th) night going into the 8th?

-edit-
    Never mind! Only had to go back one page on the main page. :)