Pre order with Att or Apple ???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dillon15s, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Dillon15s macrumors newbie

whats the best way to pre order ? i cant decide if att or apple is the better way to go

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are you gonna pick it up at the store?

I'm ording from AT&T because there's one by my work that I can walk to. Easy choice for me. Look at the logistics of HOW you'll pick up the phone. Which one is easier? That's your answer.

(Or are you having it mailed? Then whatever...flip a coin...it doesn't really matter. Or just go with Apple 'cause their website is nicer!)

3. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

My friend's and I are going to pre-order it through the Apple Online Store. I like dealing with Apple people much better! I would only decide to do it through AT&T if you had to get a micro-SIM through them anyway. I hope that whole process of getting a micro-sim is really easy- I guess we'll find out around the 15th.

4. Kyeris macrumors 6502

When you pre-order through Apple, the SIM should come in the iPhone, just as it did with the 3G S.

5. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

6. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Apple , they'll have every accessory there unlike the AT&T store.

7. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

I have been giving this much thought and I will most likely pre-order from Apple store and have it shipped to my office so I can screw with all my workers. Well that and it gives me a reason to screw off for a day.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I wanted to get it from apple for the first time. but I need to use my wife's contract but get my number on the sim card so att it is. plus it is far closer.

9. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

My vote it definitely Apple. They seem to be smoother. Bought original at AT&T store, and it took days to get it to work. Got my 3G at Apple store and it was working before I walked out of the store.

10. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

11. orangerock macrumors regular

Do you seriously want AT&T responsible for your phone order being processed correctly and arriving on time launch day?

Apple.

12. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

I am not the account holder i am an authorized on the account to make changes and such. Do you think if i go to the apple store they will be able to access that? because i know in att they can as i checked today. the apple store will be a more fun experience then a boring att store:apple::apple:

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I did Apple.com last year. The experience was perfect! Doing the same again!

14. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

When you Pre-Order through Apple and opt to have it shipped to the store instead of home how do you pick it up?

Of course the store will have a whole bunch of people waiting to but theirs in the morning... obviously I cant cut in line to get mine.... do I need to wait till later that day to get mine? When they get their shipment is it in 2 parts (1 part for people to buy that day the other part for those who have preordered and opted to pick it up at their store).

Wanting to get all ordering and pick up details if possible.... also when pre-ordering i've read it has to be a credit card and not debit card.... I have a checking account with a debit card that has Visa logo and I can choose when at the point of sale if I want it to be CC or debit... will this card work for online apple.com pre-order sale?

Thanks for all the info.

15. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Actually I'm not sure about this, but if you pre-order you get first dibs to the stock in the store. I'm pretty sure that with the iPad they had 2 lines one for pre-orders and one for people who didn't pre-order. The people who pre-ordered got to enter the store first and get their iPads first and then whatever was left over after the pre-orders were filled were sold to the people that didn't pre-order. They'll probably do the same thing with the iPhone 4.

16. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

When I purchased one of my iPhone's, I went to Apple and they gave me trouble. I am an authorized user on the account (which they said prior would be okay), I had the account holder's last four social security digits, and I even printed the papers from my account to show that I was an authorized user.

They still gave me trouble, even though I got the phone in the end. I have read on it that some Apple stores were not like that, and AT&T is better with it though.

17. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

my advice would be to go through the apple site on the 15th. if everything goes smoothly go with apple.

from what I remember in the past (again I went with apple last year so not sure if it was the case for the 3gs) but att sends a specific phone for an upgrade. If that phone does not show up on the day of the launch, you CANNOT get another phone even if they have stock.

18. TLewis macrumors 65816

In general, Apple, although AT&T is probably OK for home delivery.

Last year, my wife and I ordered our 3GS upgrades via AT&T, for home delivery (why waste time in line?). In the end, everything turned out painlessly fine, but it was pretty nerve-wracking. People who ordered pre-orders through Apple seemed to get constant order status updates; AT&T pre-orders, not so much, which made people wonder if they were going to get their pre-orders on release day. We did get our phones on-time, as promised, but the lack of status updates was a bit unnerving. We did have to call AT&T customer service, though, to get around some activation problems. We had a shockingly short wait to talk to a rep (keep in mind that this was release day), although the rep did have to put us on hold for several minutes a couple of times to fix the activation problems (I imagine that there would be a lot more happy AT&T users if everyone's customer service experience was like ours).

Next time, I'll go with Apple, even though everything turned out fine and on time with AT&T, just to avoid worrying. :p

19. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

So if you pre-order for home delivery the phone will be delivered on launch day?

20. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

AT&T for me. If I pre-order through apple then I have to have the primary account holder with me when I pick it up. + the Apple store is an hour and a half away. The AT&T store is closer.

21. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Both Apple and AT&T have promissed launch day home delivery on June 24 if you pre-order early. Please don't expect or order on June 23 for a June 24 delivery.

Just AT&T has indicated that pre-orders for in-store pickup would be available starting on June 25 or later....:confused:

Dave

22. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

That's awesome I was planning on pre-ordering on the 15th. Guess I will be skipping the line then. I can wait until UPS or whatever shows up, just as long as I have it on launch day I am happy.

23. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I was unaware of that. Thanks for the heads up! :)

24. TLewis macrumors 65816

That's how it worked last year. I assume this year will be the same, but I haven't checked. You do have to order before the pre-order supply runs out, though (I'm not sure, but I think they ran out in 4-7+ days last year).

25. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I was planning on pre-ordering on the 15th so it hopefully I can get one. I waited in line for 4 hours to get my iPhone 3G on launch day back in 2008 and I really don't want to go through that experience again unless I have to heh. So I'm going to try having it delivered.