Pre-Ordering Not Worth It Anymore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marti23, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Marti23 macrumors member

I was one of the ones to get the short stick and not have any luck ordering online. I've been trying but nothing came from it. Should I go over to a AT&T store tomorrow? or wait after launch for stores to start getting them?

I feel like waiting one month from now is too long when stores will stock up on them after 24th. Camping out for hours is not an option for me but shouldn't stores start getting them soon after?

What do you guys think? or are going to do, if you are in the same position as me...

2. Nickel Dime Bay macrumors regular

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Pre-order now and get it shipped ~ July 2. I may be wrong (hopefully) but I figure after the 24th, stores will sell out of supply and it could be weeks before one gets one.

Go browse some iPad threads. Many people didn't pre-order because they figured they could get one after. Then they didn't order online (shipping was 7-10 days) because they figured they could find one in store.

Some were still looking for them a month later.

Go ahead and pre-order now, receive it a week and a half after launch and rest assured that you will be getting one soon after they are released.

4. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

^Yeah. it changed to the 14th but its worth it if you want to avoid traffic from stores, and who's to say any will even be in stock. All depends on how soon you want it I guess.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think most people are being too paranoid.

Think about it... How many pre-orders are actually LEGIT? What I mean is, how many pre-orders for in-store aren't just 13-15 year-olds going, "Oh, I'll just reserve it now and ask if I can get it then" only to be told no by their parents. I think you'll find that a lot of parents aren't going to want to dish out on a new contract for their kids.

The pre-orders were insane, yes, but out of 1,000 there will be 100 that DON'T bother showing up because they 1) Forgot, 2) Didn't realize that they had only the one day to go in and get it if reserved, and 3) They can't afford it on the day.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It wasn't worth it for me at 12:30am on 6/14. It's kinda hard to pre-order something they wouldn't have available for pre-order, delivery, pickup, or otherwise. :rolleyes:

Some of us have no choice but to take our chances at the store on launch day, and that is even assuming they'll have it there.

BL.

7. Marti23 thread starter macrumors member

I'm so undecided. I think I might just give in and order one for the 14th, because I for sure won't camp out. Sucks, this is going to be my first iphone and I thought apple would anticipate this demand.

8. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

and dont forget all the people with multiple iphone pre-orders that were phantom pre-orders, and im sure some people probably did in store pre orders in more than 1 location to make sure they can go to the place with a shorter wait, etc.. there will be plenty of iphones to go around.

9. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I've order mind for delivery (UK), but read this in the news this morning

Customers demanding the latest version of Apple’s iPhone wiped out the company’s initial stocks in a single day, overwhelming several online ordering systems and prompting analysts to increase forecasts for the technology company’s most important product.

Apple said on Wednesday that it had absorbed 600,000 orders the previous day, a record for any of its goods, and that it wouldn’t be able to ship more to online customers before July 14, three weeks after it appears in stores in the US and four other countries

10. Marti23 thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like they won't be available for a while. Even though some people ordered twice and some will forget etc. etc. you have to be there at the right time to get their iphone that they missed. Im also sure more and more people will want one after it gets more popular, not that it isn't already, when they see their relatives/friends with it.

11. Odid macrumors regular

If an Apple store is near you, go on the 25th when they open.

Reservations are only valid for a day, so they'll be released for sale the next day for whoever doesn't show up.

12. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

If you don't want to wait/camp out/ect., and you haven't already pre-ordered/reserved, you can safely expect an iPhone no earlier than mid July. I would push that back to late July/early August.

13. CJLevinsk22 macrumors member

CJLevinsk22

Come on. A "13-15 year old" would have tolerated 1 "Oops!" error message, then promptly gave up.

-Chris

14. imiller913 macrumors member

At this point you might as well just go to the store on the 24th or 25th because apple is now shipping on july 14 and in a blink of an eye it will get pushed back again. You have to love in demand products :D

15. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Try Best Buy, and don't forget Walmart. They are supposed to be selling it to, but they are clueless so I would just try to find out if they are selling it launch day. There are many places on the 24th that you can try to buy it from. At&t and Apple will be the most crowded.

16. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I know with AT&T, other then launch day, they won't have any stock in stores and instead make everyone do a special order (IE order in store and have it shipped). They will do this until there is enough supply to keep the stores stocked.

At least that's what they did with the 3GS and I don't see that policy changing.

17. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

That's true. School is out and there are a lot of kids playing on the Apple site. Hmm, would be interesting to see the numbers on the preorder cancellations.

18. macbd macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to roll into a store on July 1st and find them stocked with iPhones. Can you do that now with an iPad? It's been more than two months since those have been out, and people are still have to wait days (at least) to get one. It will be even worse for the iPhone. Order now and you'll know for sure you'll have one mid-July. I'm guessing it could be well into August if you wait to "put your name in the hat" until after launch.

19. huskerchad macrumors regular

If you have a lot of time on your hands and watch the physical Apple Stores and AT&T stores like a hawk, I would guess that is the probably fastest way to get one.

Probably.

The surest way to get one, though, is to pre-order now. If you don't, there's a chance the physical stores will never have one, and you'll be stuck either waiting even longer, or paying too much on ebay if you decide OMG GOTTA HAVE IT.

I also suspect that Apple will ship today's pre-orders significantly sooner than July 15th, but I don't know that for a fact.

Also, if Apple's online orders don't ship before July 15, and you find one on July 1 or so, you can just cancel your Apple order.

20. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I agree.

21. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Man just wait inline, I know Iam with some friends, bring an ipod, some food, its fun, I'll go 6 or 7 hrs earlier...hopefully I'll be in the first 10 ppl in line.

22. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I've pre-ordered for the 24th, but I kind of want to wait in line just for the experience, and to get my mom one if that's allowed (she qualifies for an upgrade). If I had a lot of friends like you do, it would be fun.

I've waited in line alone before from 5am, and it was okay, but I didn't have a chair nor anyone to hold my place in line. Then a newspaper took my photo when I had bags under my eyes, and used that two years in a row. Ugh :rolleyes:

23. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

If I was in your spot I would still pre-order unless you have the time and patience to camp out for it and to check back with the stores to see if they have any. I rather wait it out and have it come to me when its available even if it takes an extra 2 weeks.

24. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

It sucks.

But really, how could they anticipate it? Supposedly the preorder numbers are 10 times last years phone.

We are in a recession with high unemployment. Android is proving to be a competitor. They didn't want to overproduce.

25. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I didn't want to risk not having an iPhone by the end of July, so I went ahead and preordered. I *really* wanted to have it during my traveling, June 24-July 4, though.

Do AT&T stores have wireless internet? Obviously my iPhone wouldn't be shipped till well after the 24th, so I was thinking of going to the ATT store around 5 am, and if I happen to get lucky with a spot in line, canceling my Apple order right there w/ my laptop.

Edit: BTW, anyone with a July 15 ship date getting just standard shipping? Thought it was supposed to be overnight.