*pre orders* iPhone Upgrade Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tyknep, Aug 12, 2017.

1. tyknep, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

tyknep macrumors newbie

I preorder the new iphone every year, as soon as the store goes live. I would like to utilize the Apple iPhone Upgrade program this year and was wondering what the process was like during pre orders?

Is there any verification process since you are technically leasing through apple?

I will simply select AT&T next upgrade option to get the order in as fast as possible.

I received Jet Black 7+ a day after launch and will not sacrifice waiting longer just for the AIUP.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Do do a hard pull on first on on your credit report. You must have a credit card to sign up. After that you can then change it to a debit card or directly from your bank.

Current iUP customers will likely need reserve and must bring their device to the Apple store for inspection and trade in. I believe with New iUP customers you don't need to go to the apple store and they will deliver it to you.

3. tyknep thread starter macrumors newbie

correct, but I will be ordering through the apple store app on the iPhone, and I'm concerned that the process will take too long during checkout (through iPhone upgrade program), and that my order time will slip.

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

For new iUP w/ T-Mobile, is there a better way to do this given that you have to go in-stores. Maybe pre-order for the full price, pick up at an Apple store, and tell them that you want to do the iUP? It'll put the credit card in a loop for a few days with the charge / refund, but would that work to at least secure an iPhone at launch?

5. tyknep thread starter macrumors newbie

You no longer have to go into the store for AIUP. They ship directly to your home.

6. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

That's good to know for the future, though it looks like I'm stuck with having to go in-stores for the first time.

7. tyknep thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you know that? Where did you get that information?

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

9. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

So, for existing IUP customers, we set a date to go to the store? No way for online shipping?

10. iZollo macrumors regular

iZollo

I am thinking now that i am with t-mobile on the iPhone upgrade program i will pay full price have it shipped to me and than return/rebuy on my existing apple upgrade program do you think that would work?

11. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

i am wondering about this too, because i won't be available to go to an Apple store on launch day

it would be cool to pre-order and pick a time to go in store, on like a sat.

def. trying to pre-order when they go live. last year was the 1st time signing up for the Apple upgrade program, i have a 7+

12. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

Would anyone happen to know if the Apple Payments option will be available? I'd rather not use AIUP, nor AT&T Next financing. The only reason I'm asking is that if you select your carrier and the Apple Payments option, you get an unlocked phone with your carrier's SIM. Since Apple typically doesn't make unlocked phones available on release, I'd be curious to know if using Apple Payments would be possible.

13. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Last year, IUP was a PITA because I was forced to sign up for it at an Apple Store. It took me a solid like 2 weeks after release to get the iPhone 7+ I was comfortable with.

14. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

Pretty sure yea as you have to hand the device back.

15. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

pita?

16. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

pita - pain in the a$$.

Ahaha now I'm hungry (thinking Pita bread). :p

17. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

do u think i could pre-order online, buy out right for retail, then take it to an Apple store and then turn my 7+ in?, continue to make payments with new phone ?

18. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I'll let someone else answer that, that's a good question - I don't know :/​

19. burntomaro macrumors member

I purchased my previous phone under the 2 year contract plan and will be purchasing my next phone via the monthly installment plan. Is there something I can do to make sure I'm able to order immediately and not have to go through the approval process? I'm a verizon customer. Can I have them pre-approve me after the phone is unveiled so that when they go on sale I can order it and not have to waste time getting approved since supply may be limited?

20. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

This is exactly what I asked myself last year with financing. Didn't want to risk it, just bought it full price and then going sell it on Swappa after I receive my new iPhone 8. That way theres no his ups during my check out buying it full price. This is my first year with verizon, dont all verizon iphones come unlocked purchasing full price?

21. THE JUICEMAN, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017

THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I had the same issue last year trying to do IUP with t-mobile. I ended up (finally) finding an ATT phone and somehow getting it to work on t-mobile. It was a mess. I think I'm going to ask Apple their advice on what to do this year but I think we might have the same issue.

Actually.....since i was joining the IUP for the first time maybe that was the main issue. Now that I'm already in it I have to come in no matter what to return the phone. So I should be able to reserve a spot to do the swap using IUP. Let's hope it works.

Edit: just chatted with Apple support and they say you cannot pre order online with T-mobile. They suggested calling customer service and they would be able to reserve a phone for you. Here we go again...

22. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

I don't have IUP now. It's pointless for T-Mobile on my end since I don't want the iPhone 2018. T-Mobile over complicates stuff.

23. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Ugh. I forgot about the whole trip to the store for the trade in. At least I won't have to wait for UPS.

I'm already on the Apple Upgrade Program, so that means I get the joy of setting up any appointment for a trade in. Let's see is they prioritize the AUP customers like they allegedly did last year.

24. s2mike macrumors 6502

Hmm...all of this T-Mobile talk is starting to concern me. Here’s my situation...

I’ve been with the Apple Upgrade Program since it first began in 2015. I was with AT&T at the time, and purchased my iPhone 6s on launch day and enrolled in the program. Then, in 2016, I traded in my iPhone 6s and got an iPhone 7. Also with AT&T, and also on launch day.

Earlier this year, I switched to T-Mobile. I kept my original iPhone 7 and just put a T-Mobile SIM in it, so I’m still eligible to get an iPhone 8 on launch day via the Apple Upgrade Program.

There is an Apple retail store right next to my apartment.

Will I be able to reserve a T-Mobile iPhone 8 for pickup on launch day at an Apple store when the pre-orders open at 3am?

I need to physically go to an Apple retail store on launch day regardless because I need to trade in my iPhone 7 and pick up the iPhone 8...but I want to make sure I’m able to at least reserve a T-Mobile iPhone 8 for peace of mind.

Anyone have any info about how this T-Mobile “in store only” thing will work for someone in my particular situation?

Thanks in advance.

25. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

The above comment sounds reasonable and should be able to be done.