Pre-orders?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SHKLMRE, Mar 7, 2015.

1. SHKLMRE macrumors 6502

With the original iPad, Apple had preorders on March 12th and it went on sale on April 3rd... It got me thinking how Apple's going to have an announcement on March 9th, that perhaps they'll have preorders a few days later. It would also be cool if the Apple watch went on sale on April 3rd, that's a friday this year, and it would mark the 5th anniversary since the original iPad went on sale. That's just assuming Apple does preorders for it.

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I really do hope pre-orders will start on the 13th. :) Just would work perfectly because I don't have school that day ;).

And it would be cool if it went on sale on the anniversary of the iPad.

3. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

That would be great!

4. cleirac macrumors 6502

Amen.

I am traveling starting on the 8th so it will be perfect to get it on the 3rd.

5. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I'm thinking Pre-orders March 13th or March 20th.

Launch April 3rd

6. cleirac macrumors 6502

Amen.

I guess, for as long as it ships on the 3rd.

Let's all target and wish for April 3rd delivery even though it is a Holy Weekend.

7. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

What? No one wants preorders to open immediately after the announcement?:cool:

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

... Why not?

9. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I am also travelling to Greece on the 8th. Would be great to buy it before.

10. arubinst macrumors 6502

April 3rd is Easter.

In many European countries, that day is a holiday. Stores are closed and the mail doesn't deliver.

If the watch starts selling in several countries besides the US a the same time, it would be an odd day for them to start.

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No it's good Friday.

12. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

But good Friday is a what they call it bank holiday (at least in UK)
    So the person you are quoting it right, many stores and businesses are closed.

13. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Good Friday is still a bank holiday in the UK. No post. The watch will not launch on this day

14. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I honestly don't care if they have pre-orders because I want to try both sizes on, so I'll be camping out anyway.

I would guess (if Apple does pre-orders) they will start a few days after the keynote then a launch day on either April 3rd or 10th. I'm still leaning more towards the 10th because April 3 is very close to Easter and Apple may not want to disturb that.

15. Rlong405 macrumors member

I know that this is a very different product but with the iPhone launches, camping out doesn't give you any ability to see the product and then change your mind on colour for example before buying.

16. rkulpajr macrumors member

rkulpajr

Easter Weekend

The iPad was released on April third which was actually Easter Saturday. I remember going to get in line at the Apple store and the next day being easter.

It is possible to follow this logic and I also believe that this is very possible. I am hoping for pre orders and will most likely order one of each size and return the one that I do not want (unopened of course).

17. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I wouldn't bet on their being any pre-orders. It's a totally new product, one that is very personal. It would make sense that the vast majority of people would want to try on the sizes and band combos before buying. Apple wouldn't want to deal with all the returns because people didn't try it on first. Plus, pre-orders lead to shorter lines. Apple doesn't want that, especially with a new category.

18. czecho7 macrumors member

czecho7

Hmm.. That's a really good point. I was thinking because the iPad was a new product and had pre-orders that Apple Watch would probably be the same, but it makes sense that they would want to get as many people into the stores as possible to try it on, and obviously that causes a bigger buzz around the product.

Hopefully, if there are no preorders, they'll at least let us reserve them for in-store pickup.

19. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

U guys don't even know if yall are getting the first wave release haha

20. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

How would you know you don't want it if you haven't opened the box? :p

21. cleirac macrumors 6502

Oh, that is the reason why USA will get it on the 3rd then sometime in April for UK etc. :p

22. KPOM macrumors G5

Interesting. It isn't a holiday in the U.S. or China so it is conceivable for a launch. That said, April 10 or 17th is more likely if they just finalized the software a few weeks ago.

I'd be very curious if they really start pre-orders on Friday the 13th.

----------

Potentially, but on the other hand, if I'm buying a $10,000 Edition (or whatever it costs), do I really want to stand in line with a bunch of "geeks" for an hour who are getting the $350 version? Just thinking like an investment banker who is getting one for his girlfriend.

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Excuse my stupidity :eek:

24. bushido Suspended

bushido

how the heck isnt easter a holiday in the US? mind blown

25. KPOM macrumors G5

For starters, it falls on a Sunday. Our holidays are back-loaded (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day - yes technically not "back-loaded" but so close to Christmas).

Christmas is a secularized holiday that always falls on the same day. Easter may be secularized, but Good Friday certainly isn't, so governments can't designate it as a holiday here as it would be seen as establishing a state religion.