pre workout energy boost

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by charlesbronsen, Aug 4, 2009.

1. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Does anyone have any protein shakes or anything they like to eat before a workout? I always have just had a cup of coffee in the morn before my jog. The other day i had a protein barhttp://www.powerbar.com/products/43/POWERBAR_PERFORMANCE_Vanilla_Crisp.aspx instead of a coffee and damn did i have a great workout. I am now looking for a pre workout energy boost. The bar was good but I would like to know what other people use. So - let's hear it:)

2. njl macrumors regular

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah coffee is a bad thing to drink before a workout.

just eat a nature valley bar and half of a water.

i mean if you're looking to build muscle and stuff you shouldn't be drinking protein shakes for the run. you should be lifting weights.

you just want to put some carbs in your system to give you some extra energy. peanut butter does have a lot of protein too so it would be a good platform.

i eat nature valley granola bars (almond/peanut butter) or usually eat a small breakfast.

4. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

A bowl of sweet cereals like Honey Cheerios with skimmed (semi if you hate skimmed) milk.

5. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I was ranting about how Lipo 6 Black was freaking amazing like two weeks ago, but my body was literally falling apart because of it. I took it back to GNC and bought USPLabs' Recreate, which is a "healthy" caffeine pill, i.e. less caffeine and more natural ingredients. I still get a pretty intense power boost, but with no shakes or GIGANTIC crashes that I had with Lipo 6 Black. (I slept for +16 hours the two days after I stopped taking Lipo 6 Black.)

GNC has a "no questions asked" return policy so you if you're up for it, try out USPLabs' Recreate. This is the fourth or fifth day I've been taking it and I've already lost three pounds in body fat, not water weight or muscle. (The losing weight bit could come from Lipo 6 Black's effects, but I've been taking Recreate since and have been seeing these numbers)

If your intention is to bulk up your weight, don't take them. They're caffeine pills, which means the main intention is to lose weight. By doing that, they give you large amounts of energy and suppress your appetite.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate Lipo 6 Black a 4.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate Recreate a 7 or 8.

Oh, also. I used to take TwinLab's Whey Protein, 'till I ran out. Now, occasionally, I'm taking Ultimate Nutrition's Protein Isolate (which tastes horrible) Protein Isolate's function is to also help body fat disappear, as opposed to regular Protein which just focuses in helping muscles recover.

As you can see, I'm trying to shed a few pounds while staying toned.

6. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Don't waste money on protein shakes a regular healthy diet has more than enough protein in it and excess protein can destroy your kidneys, not good stuff!

7. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Protein shakes keeps your arms from being stiff/hurting the next day.

8. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

So does a good stretch, a decent fitness level, keeping muscles warm, exercising at a suitable level, the protein shake really doesn't do much, most of the research shows that protein shakes have no effect on muscle stiffness/soreness

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Check this out,

I eat nachos with cheese for dinner after working out. I wake up very, very sore and have no desire to do morning cardio.

or,

I eat nachos with cheese for dinner after working out. I also have a protein shake or two. I won't wake up as sore because the protein will be assisting my muscles in post-workout recovery.

Maybe it won't do as much if you have chicken breast or steak for dinner, but protein does help someone's body on several levels.

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I never understood the whole supplement thing. People dumping tons of supplements into their body for what? Never mind the potential health risks associated with some of that stuff (as spaceboots experienced). What ever happened to just working out the natural way and just eating the right food?

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I used to eat a Dairy Milk and drink a can of Relentless before going on hikes. I got back and had a microwave burger, a doughnut and a can of Coke. Yet I have a slow heart rate, 3 breaths a minute and can hike the day away, can do a marathon and so on.
    Is what you eat before and after a work out that important?

12. Miguey macrumors 6502

well its usually....

BSN Nitrix or another Nitric Oxide supplement, pill or powder

and Metabolic whey protein or dynamic nutrition =D

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I don't get it either. I have friends who nurse those huge tubs of whey protein from GNC and take weird unregulated 'supplement' pills. What kind of nasty stuff is in there, and why do you need it in your body? I'll take a porkchop, broccoli and some mashed potatoes over some kind of Nutrimax Xtreme Power Ultra Balanced Nutritional Complex System supplement any day.

14. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Lol, I love how this quickly turned into a rant.

For the OP, bananas work wonders and when I don't have time or the space (cycling) for real food I really like all kinds cliff bars. But I exercise for the endurance aspect, not building bulk.

If you are looking for a protein bar Cliff makes a "builder bar" with 20g

If you want to switch to real food :), try a 6 oz cut of pretty much any kind of fish with your meal 1-2 hr before your workout. It will have anywhere from 20-27 g of protein. Digests easier than protein bars too (imo).
    --just dont fry it :eek:

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Or maybe if you're trying to lose weight, you shouldn't be eating nachos with cheese?

16. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Haha, yeah. I personally would never eat nachos; I was just trying to use an example of a "food" that didn't have too much nutritional value.

17. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Since this is the only body I have, I try to take care of it. By that I mean, staying away from some sups. I do a lot of research before I take ANYTHING! Lipo6 and hydroxycut are VERY bad for you. They are extremely hard on your liver.

I am in the Air Force, 18 year vet and counting. I like to work out. Plus its a requirement for us to be in tip-top shape.

I do lots of cardio. Yesterday I did a 30 minute "warm-up" on the elilpticle (3.5 mile) while keeping my heart rate at 80%. Then without a rest I ran 4 miles on the treadmill on a 1 incline in 35 minutes. After that I worked 14 hours....

The only thing you really need is a good diet, rest, good vitamin and plenty of water. Listen to your body! I do however take some sups.

I take:
    Isopure Zero Carb Protein (Dutch Chocolate rocks!) No fat, no sugar NO BS, but has 50g of pure protein per pop and amino acids. I lost 35 pounds from running and taking this stuff alone. The NY Jets use it as well. Builds lean muscle..
    http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/NA04

CLA: http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/OP-374

Animal Pak Vitamins (Awesome vitamins!):
    http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/UV21

Salmon Oil (Your body needs fish oil anyways, will keep you alert, good for the brain and is a natural anti-inflamatory) Also, I did a research, this company is clean. Some fish oils are tainted with mercury and pesticides....be careful!:
    http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/CRL055

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fish-oil/NS_patient-fishoil
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090803173250.htm

I also drink a lot of natural green tea (tea bag, not bottled crap). Good for a pick me up after a work out. Its also good for your arteries. I cold brew mine....

18. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Only complaint is this. I've tried similar fish oil pills about three times in the past, and every time I would work up a sweat I would seriously smell like fish. It was horrible.

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

So do one and post your time, then.
    The bar gave you a boost in energy because the bar is full of naturally sourced sugars. When you run at a decent pace, you're utilizing your gylcolytic energy system, and exactly as the name sounds, it uses glucose stored in your liver and muscles to produce ATP which your body uses for energy. Basically, simple carbohydrates fuel activity.

As a note, what you ate wasn't a protein bar, it was an energy bar. A protein bar will typically have 22+ grams of protein. A protein bar is useful for post-workout nutrition, in that it delivers glucose to replenish your glycogen stores and protein to build muscle tissue.

Someone recommended a banana before a work out. A banana — or most fruits, really — is a great source of pre-workout nutrition!

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've done 2, and a few quarter and half marathons on the running machine for kicks. My times vary but 4:15-5:15 hours for the full ones, which isn't brilliant but it's not something I actively train for. Both my parents used to be marathon runners too so I guess genes help or something.

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Ha, better than Katie Holmes! :p

22. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Really? I have not had that problem. I work with a few women, they will spare you nothing! They say they like my deodorant and I smell nice.

I did however, have some "lesser than" fish oil caplets. I belched a gross fish taste all day. It was less than enjoyable.

I have not had any issues with the above brand of Salmon Oil. It seems to work great, its fresh and the company has a good rap. It's a good alternative to taking flax. Flax should come with a free roll of toilet paper.....;)

23. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

24. charlesbronsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

so do you take this stuff after a workout or before?

25. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I don't know when he does but you can take it either before or after.