Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
I wasn't too sure where to ask this question and I didn't check if there's a thread already about this but since it'll undoubtedly run a version of iOS I thought I'd ask here. What do you guys think Apple will name this wearable? They started with the iPod for their mp3s, the iPhone name was a obvious choice and they went with the iPad when most thought it'd be called iTablet. I'm wondering if they'll keep tradition by naming it i(one syllable word that begins with P). Any one put some thought into this?

Chabba

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Steve.

...and that's without reading the rest of your post or any thought! :cool:

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
It's obviously going to be called iWatch.

Other fun names to think about, though:

iTic and iToc (for the two different sizes that are rumored)
iTime
iMakeSamsungGearLookLikeAToy

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I want to think they are going to go away from the "i" and be a clever name.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
It wouldn't surprise me if Apple doesn't name it iWatch and goes with some sort of name we weren't expecting.

What if they don't even release the iWatch everyone was expecting it sat year.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
It will be called: More

It says so on the event invite and the countdown page.

Remember the macbook air invites? It was hiding in plain sight: "There's something in the air"

Tagline for this product: Know more. Do more. Live more. Get More (or something like that)

And, I ask you, who doesn't want more? :)

Attachments

• Apple-invite-September-9-event-20140909.jpg
    Apple-invite-September-9-event-20140909.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Apple_announces_live_stream_for_September_9_Event-1.jpg
    Apple_announces_live_stream_for_September_9_Event-1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 127
  • create01_04.jpg
    create01_04.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 161

Dan70

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
England
Though I don't think so, interesting idea indeed.

I think iMore is an interesting concept and could be but it's unlikely.

I just hope that if a watch of some description is announced, it's out later this year and integrates with your iPhone in more ways than just basic Bluetoothing capabilities.

See what I did there? ;)

Predicting the Apple wearable name!

Note: this is in the iPhone section because this product will most likely be an iPhone accessory and there is no "wearable" section on MR yet...

We are 4 days away from the (likely) announcement of an Apple wearable!! We have basically all of the information we will have about it (save for a few last minute rumors on the day-of). Since we have nothing better to do untill annoucement... lets try to guess what it will be called! What does everyone think?

Here is the list of everything that I can imagine would be possible (some are certainly more likely than others... ;) ). Can you think of any others?
iWatch
iBand
iPod
iPod Wear
iPod Nano
iPod Watch
iPod Band
iWear
Apple Wear
iFitness
iTracker
iLike
iTime (yeah right...)

My pick is... iPod Wear (or at least iPod xxx). My pick actually surprises even me, because as I've been hearing the iPod branding discussion for the wearable, I mostly dismissed it becasue a) iPod brand is fading fast and b) it seems too radically different from a music playing device to a wearable.

However, my reasonings are as follows: Apple likes the iPxxxx branding and I can't for the life of me think of anything iPxxxxx for a werable. Despite the fading iPod brand, it still has a huge name recongition for Apple.. even almost nolstagic for the device that brought Apple back to relavance (and the iPod Touch definitely isn't going anywhere for a while). iWatch doesn't seem appropriate because the watch is likely 5% of functionality (yes, you could make the same argument for iPhone, but basically everyone has a phone, very few people still wear a watch. That would be a losing battle from the start). iBand just doesn't sound right; can't really pinpoint it, but doesn't seem likely.

What are your predictions? I'd love to hear thoughts on any possible names outside of the above list. Especially if you can think of a better iPod xxxx name. I'm moderately hesitant to say iPod Wear because of of similarity to Android Wear...

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
Interesting. I really don't know what to expect. However, I think something along the lines of iBand could be possible. It has a certain ring to it that iWatch has and Im thinking Apple will want to break away from the iPod brand.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I've been assuming 'iWatch' because, just like with the iPhone in 2007, it's the name everyone has been using for years. Why fight it?

I know the name 'iPad' surprised everyone, so there is precedent for a shock. But was there a leading name for the tablet before it came out? I don't remember one. I recall a lot of different names then with no clear leader.

So based on all that I predict iWatch will be more like iPhone and less like iPad. We'll get exactly what we all expected.

(If I am wrong and it's not iWatch I do like all of your 'iPod' arguments as a likely direction.)

Whoops, I just posted a thread on this in the iPhone section :eek:

My pick is... iPod Wear (or at least iPod xxx). My pick actually surprises even me, because as I've been hearing the iPod branding discussion for the wearable, I mostly dismissed it becasue a) iPod brand is fading fast and b) it seems too radically different from a music playing device to a wearable.

However, my reasonings are as follows: Apple likes the iPxxxx branding and I can't for the life of me think of anything iPxxxxx for a werable. Despite the fading iPod brand, it still has a huge name recongition for Apple.. even almost nolstagic for the device that brought Apple back to relavance (and the iPod Touch definitely isn't going anywhere for a while). iWatch doesn't seem appropriate because the watch is likely 5% of functionality (yes, you could make the same argument for iPhone, but basically everyone has a phone, very few people still wear a watch. That would be a losing battle from the start). iBand just doesn't sound right; can't really pinpoint it, but doesn't seem likely.

----------

I think iMore is an interesting concept and could be but it's unlikely.

Haha, I imagine the site iMore would find this a very interesting choice as well ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.