Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
The world was flat a few hundred years ago.

yes - and sadly for some guys it remains still flat.. :D

i am still waiting for your source that apple´s competitors selling prices for top-smartphone are sinking like heavy rocks in the ocean….

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm sure sales will decline slightly but I don't think they will fall off a cliff like some people seem to think. I wouldn't mind sales going down a bit, selfishly so that I can walk in to an apple store on launch day or the next day with no lines and get a phone... and also so that Apple can wake up and really blow us away with a revolutionary iPhone release to spark sales again.
The iPhone will remain popular for a long time, whether or not it will continue to break new records. I agree though, it would be nice not to have a 200 person line at the Domain Apple Store on launch day.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
True and unlike other manufacturers whose resale sinks to the bottom of the ocean, like a heavy rock, the iphones just float down. It's still quite normal for the iphone to hold their value better than some other phones regardless of what the anti-apple crowd may say.

Look about FACTS and not your imagination…

In REALITY the reselling prices over the years for SAmsung and apple top-smartphones were more or less on par over the last years.
Difficult to adjust more precise than +/- 10% because often only the cheapest iPhone model has been taken (the less RAM) to compare with other manufacturers smartphones while the samsung was for a long time upgradeable - for a cheap price and with more RAM. Also the product upgrade (=Release) dates are not parallel with each other.

But ONE THING is evident:
Your claim about "other manufacturers … resale sinks to the bottom of the ocean, like a heavy rock, the iphones just float down" is nothing but product of your phantasy and has NOTHING to do with real life…

base for resale prices are selling prices on ebay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Look about FACTS and not your imagination…

In REALITY the reselling prices over the years for SAmsung and apple top-smartphones were more or less on par over the last years.
Difficult to adjust more precise than +/- 10% because often only the cheapest iPhone model has been taken (the less RAM) to compare with other manufacturers smartphones while the samsung was for a long time upgradeable - for a cheap price and with more RAM. Also the product upgrade (=Release) dates are not parallel with each other.

But ONE THING is evident:
Your claim about "other manufacturers … resale sinks to the bottom of the ocean, like a heavy rock, the iphones just float down" is nothing but product of your phantasy and has NOTHING to do with real life…

base for resale prices are selling prices on ebay.
Try swappa.com. Just like incorrect about blue ambient light, I think a wee incorrect about this also.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Try swappa.com. Just like incorrect about blue ambient light, I think a wee incorrect about this also.

I think ebay SELLING prices are more solid than prices of a ONE reseller of your choice….
The selling prices from private persons to other private persons are much more transparent.

ALL publications of statistics based on big sales-numbers on ebay tell the same story.

Your fairy-tales about gigantic differences between selling prices are in lack of ANY reality.

Last edited:

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
That's not a bad thing, it's quite normal. iPhones aren't as sought after as they once were. Nothing goes on forever.
Just sold my used $815 64 GB iPhone 6S for $750. They definitely still hold their value.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think ebay SELLING prices are more solid than prices of a ONE reseller of your choice….
The selling prices from private persons to other private persons are much more transparent.

ALL publications of statistics based on big sales-numbers on ebay tell the same story.

Your fairy-tales about gigantic differences between selling prices are in lack of ANY reality.
Don't use eBay, if you want to use them go right ahead and I wouldn't sell a phone on eBay; other sites are better.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
And what are the solid statistics for iPhones and resale value? Because from everywhere I've seen, it's still quite high.

That´s simply NOT the point!

The Thread is about a PREDICTION: reselling prices will fall in the near future.

In the endless exchange with i7Guy he claimed other manufactorer´s reselling prices for their top- smartphones would since years be by far inferior, even dramatically inferior than for iPhones.

This is simply a fairy tale and wishful thinking as reselling prices are more or less on par for ALL of the top-manufactorers - since years.

That´s all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Sales will go down due to telcos abolishing the subsidies and people seeing flat out what they are paying for their devices rather than the price being built into the phone plan.

If this error works the way it seems to, all iOS devices with Touch ID on 9.3 and higher will exhibit the issue. Make sure you are buying a device with 9.3 or higher and you're golden. When 10.0 comes out this will be an even easier feat.
[doublepost=1455521221][/doublepost]
Issues like Error 53 or the January 1 thing get a lot of noise, but the actual number people affected is pretty small, and the number who learn about it is smaller than most people think (the old Internet Echo Chamber effect). The next software update addresses the issue, and by the time a few more months pass it's all forgotten. Well, forgotten by all but those who keep wishing Apple would disappear off the face of the earth (not gonna happen).
This all depends if it makes national news. It often doesn't, but I remember the antenna issue quickly did. That was probably the most widely publicized iPhone "glitch" ever, at least in the us. I can't recall anything else making headlines though.

The issue being solved in the next update assumes that it is an accidental issue. I'm not all that sure what it is, to be quite frank. Was error 53 acting as intended or is it all a big whoopsie? We will certainly see at some point depending on how Apple responds (or doesn't).

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Although there is market saturation, I think since the world is shifting away from subsidised contracts it means more people are aware of the actual price of their new phone.

Simply knowing a hard figure of what your device cost and what you're losing on it might make people a lot greedier when reselling.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That´s simply NOT the point!

The Thread is about a PREDICTION: reselling prices will fall in the near future.

In the endless exchange with i7Guy he claimed other manufactorer´s reselling prices for their top- smartphones would since years be by far inferior, even dramatically inferior than for iPhones.

This is simply a fairy tale and wishful thinking as reselling prices are more or less on par for ALL of the top-manufactorers - since years.

That´s all.
I don't think so; putting something in caps does not make a false statement true.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's been other issues with the iPhone that have not impacted resale value too much. Antenna gate, bending, etc.

I think the error 53 is mostly a small issue that will only affect a tiny subset of people. First off, its people who had their phones worked on, which is not a lot, secondly out of that small group, its from only those who didn't go to Apple - making the amount of population even smaller.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Nope. The most desirable phones on the planet, Error 53 or not.

I said used iphones, not new ones.

There's been other issues with the iPhone that have not impacted resale value too much. Antenna gate, bending, etc.

I think the error 53 is mostly a small issue that will only affect a tiny subset of people. First off, its people who had their phones worked on, which is not a lot, secondly out of that small group, its from only those who didn't go to Apple - making the amount of population even smaller.

Antennagate affected all iPhone 4(?). This error 53 affects only those that got fixed improperly at unauthorized repairmen. Can you trust a stranger when he says the used iPhone was never repaired? If the buyer doesn't get solid proof, he will probably haggle the price down some more.

There is. In my opinion apple should never make a kill switch just make touch I'd never work and give user some sort of notice after doing ios update.

Apple should show a error message or brick it on boot up, so people can sue the unauthorized repairmen instead.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Anyone that pays more than $500 for an iPhone after a year of release, regardless of model and size is a buffoon!
I paid €500 for a used iPhone 6 64GB (in mint condition). That was pretty much a bargain. A 64GB 6s costs €859 in Europe, insane.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
If apple would just inform the owner anytime after a problem with the Fingerprint-Identification or after 3rd party repair on the start screen that the owner is "in danger" of losing some privacy security, this would serve perfectly for EVERYONE:

1) Security for non-modified (3rd party spare parts/repair) assured (no info on the screen)
2) Owner and purchaser warned if modified - it´s their choice now wether they can live with it or not
3) EVERY second hand purchaser warned either

AND there is always the number code resting to secure you.
PLUS: you could chose a much more secure PW - it has not to be a 4-numbers code.

So - there is really ZERO need to brick the phone by the "error 53" way to sell more iPhones.

It would be that easy - I can´t help: The "error53" trick is about everything - but NOT security or privacy protection.

As long as someone does not have the iPhone in his hands to modify it with a replaced screen/Fingerprint sensor PLUS the ability to crack the code number you are resting secure.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Aren't most people leasing their iPhones now? Meaning they have to turn them in the next time they want a new phone? Meaning there are less and less people who actually OWN an iPhone that they can actually sell?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Aren't most people leasing their iPhones now? Meaning they have to turn them in the next time they want a new phone? Meaning there are less and less people who actually OWN an iPhone that they can actually sell?
Many are financing them, with the potential option of trading them in to get a new one earlier before they are done paying off the current one.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe

I think it will be just the opposite…

People are going to realize that they pay MORE by leasing them or paying high prices every month to their provider than by purchasing a smartphione themselves and stay with it as long as they want to.

The smartphones of most manufacturers have already reached an extremely high level - since some years, but at least NOWADAYS there is really not any OBJECTIVE reason to buy every 1-2 years a new one - be by purchasing them by themselves or by any kind of expensive contract…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.