Prediction: used 1st gen iphone prices will rise astronomically

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pedroistheman, Jun 14, 2008.

1. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

I recently sold my 1st gen iphone in anticipation of next month's 3g release. Now, of course, I am having second thoughts.

It sounds like apple and AT&T are really cracking down on sim unlockers with the in-store activation for 3G. Does anyone in the hacking community know what type of effect this in-store ATT activation will have on sim-unlocking? I expect hackers to have a bit of difficulty getting around this new step. So, if 3G proves unhackable, will the demand for potentially unlockable 1st gen iphones rise??? Unlocked iphones are already selling for ridiculously high, my prediction is that these prices will continue to rise as the last unlockable iphone becomes scarcely available.

So, what are your thoughts??

2. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

That could possibly happen (and I hope so, would love to sell my iPhone and be able to buy a new iPhone and :apple:TV with some extra :)

3. wako macrumors 65816

My thoughts are that you are wrong....

The general public who buy iPhones have no idea what jailbreaking and unlocking means. i know tons of people who just have their ordinary iPhones with no extra jazz because they never bothered or knew how to jailbreak it. The reason why prices are so high though is because a lot of people want the iPhone, and most importantly people from other countries. That is a real main reason why you can easily find someone who is willing to pay 500 or 600 bucks for an iPhone right now.

With Apple releasing the iPhone to many more countries that what it started out with, the prices will begin to drop for the first generation I a week or two after the release of the iPhone 3G.

If the iPhone 3G does prove to be unhackable, it only means there needs to be more time for it to be hacked. ;)

4. pedroistheman thread starter macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

I wasn't referring to jailbreaking but rather the practice of buying an unlocked iphone online that you simply insert your non-AT&T sim card into. I know plenty of people who have done this and I was saying that the 3G might not be breakable. People who don't want to switch to AT&T but want an iPhone will find themselves paying a lot for unlocked 1st gen iphones since they are no longer in production and the 3g won't be unlockable.

5. joshisradd macrumors newbie

My friend just got $1000 for her unlocked iPhone on Ebay. I am just shocked beyond words.

6. Dr Lu 2010 macrumors member

must be a buyer from nigeria :p

jk good for her :)

7. mark34 macrumors 6502a

perhaps there will be a temporary rise, but if that is the case they will certainly plummet. The whole "jailbreak" crowd is tiny in the grand scheme of things. And predict that once the new ones arrive, the whole, "the old ones look better" crowd with vanish.

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Pretty sure she just got scammed out of an iPhone.
    You might want to warn her before she sends it.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would hope they would. As currently I would assume that I would have to sell the iPhone that I bought for $600 for less then $100. Sadly I don't for see the cost of the first gen going up. The amount of people who want to unlock a phone for use on a different network would be to small a group to really effect the price. Out of the people that I have chatted with the main reason they unlocked their phones was to install apps and not to use a different network. With 3G I see that number being even less.

10. jmckechnie macrumors member

jmckechnie

I've noticed that here in Austin the 1st gen iPhones are going between $120-$320.

11. Red Sox macrumors regular

I'm waiting to sell mine until after the 3G comes out. I predict that the value of the old one will remain high after the 3G's release.

Once the new one comes out and the word spreads about it, there is going to be a surge of demand for the iphone. When this happens, people on other GSM carriers are going to want an unlocked one. And, as we know, even if unlocking the 3G is easy (which it will be, using the pwnage tool), people are not going to be able to get one because of the in-store activation rule. These people will settle for an old iPhone. Therefore demand for an old iPhone will still be high.

Sure, there will be unlocked 3G iPhones on eBay, but they're going to go for at least $500. In order for someone to get an iPhone and unlock it in order to sell on eBay, they need to pay $199 for the iPhone, plus tax, plus 1 month of service, plus the $200 early termination fee.

I expect to get at least $300 for my 8GB in July.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

eBay has been going at abut $450 per iPhone, saw the lowest yesterday going for $325 and the highest $588. So, I'm keeping my v1 iPhone until July 12th, '08, then I'll check CL and eBay. :cool:

13. ppc macrumors newbie

Even in Apple stores you must activate in-store?

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

yup

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do people just not understand that "jailbreak" and "unlocking" aren't the same thing?

I expect the 1st generation iPhone to sell on eBay for between $400--500.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I concur, I agree, I 2nd that! Second, only to MacRumors; eBay has become an enjoyable website to watch the pandemonium with the sale of v1 iPhones and the lack of sale of iPhones. Just two weeks ago, people were dumping their iPhones for abut $200, and now they are selling for up to $588 and more. :eek:

17. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Wow --- wonder what I can get for my almost brand new iPhone? j/k...I am so in love with my Betsy, I can't think of parting with her. Even EDGE doesn't suck as much as I thought it would, so think I am going to hold on to her.

I think that the prices are going to drop for the reasons that others have cited. I still think it will have some value, however, for those who value aesthetics over function, i.e. aluminum over plastics. In other words, people like me:D.

18. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Gotta respectfully disagree with ya. I just got my hands on a brand new phone, and it is STUNNING! There is no way in hell that plastic case can compete with that beautiful aluminum back.

I am not buying that one, either the argument, or probably the phone:D

Jude

19. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

shes getting scammed... call her immediately

20. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I do not feel that this will be the case. Many people will probably favor the 3G and GPS capabilities. Granted, I like the look of the original iPhone better, but that is just my opinion. I have a feeling that they will remain the same, or drop.

21. robecq macrumors regular

robecq

In many European countries (such as Denmark) the maximum length of phone contracts by law is 6 months. This means that by the end of the year at the latest there will be heaps of unlock iphone 3g's up for grabs.

22. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Seller even claims that one is damaged. B)

Iphone V1 will be in demand for all countries not supported by apple, July 11.
    Iphone V1 will be in demand for all countries that have poor plans with apple supported carriers(such as those in the US who prefer Tmobile).
    Iphone V1 will be in demand in countries with no 3g as well as countries that have limited 3g(most of them).

Prediction: prices will remain 300-600 for at least 6months. Anyone who thinks thier iphone is worth only $100 now please sell it to me. Worst case scenario its an ipod touch which START at $299(nobody seems to get this point)

23. robecq macrumors regular

robecq

"Iphone V1 will be in demand in countries with no 3g as well as countries that have limited 3g(most of them)."

Ummm the 3g iphone also works on 2g, so no

24. d900man macrumors regular

d900man