Predictions for iPT 6th Gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jsameds, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Here are mine:

A6 Processor
    8MP camera
    Slightly thicker and shorter
    Better battery life (Just)
    GPS or 3G
    USB 3/Thunderbolt
    64gb/128gb

2. Project538 macrumors regular

Seriously, we're doing this already? The 5th gen hasn't even been out a week...

3. Jsameds thread starter macrumors 68030

Thought I'd nip it in the bud :p

4. Rad-o macrumors member

Shorter ? No way ! Apple won't go back to short after all those apps and things have been optimised for the 4 inch .. 3G , maybe . But I like the idea :D

5. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

I think he means as in, trimming off the top/bottom part of the bezel.

6. Jsameds thread starter macrumors 68030

Exactly. Same screen, shorter housing. Just received my case ready for my 5th gen and somehow it feels a bit too 'tall' if you know what I mean.

7. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

The design will remain unchanged. Plus I wouldn't count on GPS and USB3. There will be no 128GB model either. Regarding everything else I agree. The biggest change will be camera from iPhone 5 and A6 chip. That's about it.

8. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

A6 Processor
    8MP camera
    Slightly tinner
    GPS
    USB 3
    iOS 8

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The typical release schedule is a very minor change after a redesign.

Next year, the 16Gb Touch will be updated to the latest design but the 32Gb/64Gb will only get minor updates (possibly more colors, ambient light sensor, etc).

10. Project538 macrumors regular

Ah ha! That must be why they took the light sensor out! So they could put it back in next year and call it a new feature :p

11. urban.spaceman macrumors member

Bloody hell it's only been out 5 minutes!

Anyway:
    Knocking 50 quid off would be nice!
    Not bothered about USB3, but a Lightning to Thunderbolt connector is an inevitability given the naming. One would hope...
    Not bothered about 3G as I don't see the need to be connected 24/7. If I'm somewhere I can't get free wi-fi (which is usually easy in the UK) then I can generally wait until I am.
    GPS would be handier for mapping needs such as hiking; couple that with Ordnance Survey software and I'll be able to drop my old Garmin eTrex. Not interested in using it for Satellite Navigation.
    A6 Processor, 8MP cameras are definitely requirements! Maybe they'll even go as far as to bring it on a par with the next iPhone - an iPhone Lite if you like - the exact same features minus the phone innards would make this even more of an essential device.

Indeed, this would be a bit better. Get rid of the "home" button, or squash it or something. Make it less of an unreliable physical feature.

12. debacled macrumors newbie

Wait until 2014. You won't see a new version next year. Too little margin(for Apple) to update yearly any more.

13. WLS macrumors 65816

The wish lists never stop! Seriously get a life. Any way I can say that it is most likely that there will be only minor changes and by that I mean expect some different color options and that's it.
    Based on the last two year gap it is reasonable to think that the Touches are on a two year update cycle now. Expect that and you won't be disappointed.

14. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I find it harder and harder to believe that there's still a market for the iPod Touch. It was a transition device to get users aboard iOS who otherwise couldn't afford an iPhone or any smartphone for that matter. Times have changed, though. It's more common to see smartphones rather than dumb-phones these days as costs of ownership are decreasing across the board.

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Cost of cell plans with data go up.

How much are you paying / month (including taxes) for your smartphone plan ?

16. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

I don't. More and more people I know are getting fed up with the outrageous price gouging the telecom companies are locking them into. I am talking about people who can actually afford it too, but feel enough is enough.

Many of them, myself included are using an iPod touch and our iPads to make free VoIP calls and ditching our smartphones with their insane data rates. Sure, it helps living in a big city that is covered in wifi....but I also travel a lot, and haven't had a problem staying connected.

Its not a solution for everyone, but Its working for me so far, and I'm not alone. Cutting your smartphone from your life is not as hard as it seems. In fact, it's quite liberating once you do it.

Anyway...the iPod touch addresses this growing niche. Young people are very savy. There are so many totally FREE ways to call over wifi and they are discovering them. Plus wifi coverage is becoming more and more ubiquitous nowadays. The telecom companies should be scared.

Viva la iPod touch! ;-)

17. Androidfan1x macrumors regular

there won't be a 6th gen ipod touch until the end of 2014, so i wouldn't give any predictions. but hopefully it will cost $99 for the 64 GB version

18. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

iOS 8?

19. dchao macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's iOS 6 + 2

I think it will use Flex OLED so I can put it in my wallet. :D

20. urban.spaceman macrumors member

Thank you for voicing my own views on the iPod in such an eloquent way!

21. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'd rather cut the cellphone from ones life. When you can buy a tablet for a cheaper price over the latest iPod Touch[Nexus 7] and thus get more bang for your dollar, though, what market is there for a smaller screened product? The touch was a transition device. I'm not claiming that its current status is still in transition state, but that was its initial purpose.

22. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Tunein Radio app. :D

----------

The Touch is for people that want portability. Most people with an iPod Touch
    carry them around all day in their pockets. This isn't going to change.

23. The13thDoctor macrumors regular

The Nexus 7 and the iPod Touch are completely different products...There really isn't anything to compare between the two.

24. Rad-o macrumors member

Radio on iPod touch ? :O