Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I'm sure they will introduce better colors, they always seem to start with a year of crappy ass pastels that are dull, and then bring out the vibrant ones they should've had in the first place the next year.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
Seriously, we're doing this already? The 5th gen hasn't even been out a week...

I agree! Although, I believe the new ipt 6g will have the following specs:

1) Hovering power
2) Swipe by using brain waves
3) An upgrade from Retina display to orifice taste-o-vision
4) 3D touch screen whereas we can grab apps and stuff within the screen
5) 8 speaker surround sound around the sides
6) An even longer screen, just to piss off more people
7) Siri-us, Siri meets Sirius Radio... You'll be able to talk and get info commercial free
8) Android operating system...

Can't wait!!! Selling my 5g now in preparation!!!

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
The Nexus 7 and the iPod Touch are completely different products...There really isn't anything to compare between the two.

Completely different products? Minus a screen size difference they are both identical. It's not like I'm comparing a boat to an airplane. This is apples to apples.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The Touch is for people that want portability. Most people with an iPod Touch
carry them around all day in their pockets. This isn't going to change.

Aye. I carry my iPod in a belt pouch rather than a pocket, but still that's more than I could feasibly do with a Nexus 7.

----------

Completely different products? Minus a screen size difference they are both identical. It's not like I'm comparing a boat to an airplane. This is apples to apples.

They are only apples to apples for people with really big pockets.

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012

Assuming the iPad Mini is coming out (almost official but not quite), why would they make another product if the iPod Touch and Nexus 7 are identical?

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

The screen size difference makes the devices in two different markets. For instance if I want to listen to music on the go I'm definitely not going to want to take a tablet with me. It's easier to pull out a 4" device from your pocket than it is to carry around a 7" tablet.

Tell you the truth the 7" tablet market seems like a even smaller niche than the iPod Touch. Home? the 9/10 inch tablet. Out and about? iPod Touch/iPhone. Biggest attraction of the 7 inch tablets is the price.

I think the 7" market came into play to drop the price of a tablet rather than really having a unique market. Don't get me wrong I'm sure there are thousands, perhaps millions that would look at a 7" tablet for on the go uses.

All that being said because of the 7 inch tablet market the iPod Touch should be cheaper, the capacity is a big cost factor and Apple isn't fooling anyone by acting like flash prices haven't come down in the last 3 years. At this point they should either drop the price or bump the capacity. $400 for 64GB is really ridiculous these days especially with the free fall of flash memory prices. At this point they should either a) add 128GB model at the same price point or b) drop the price of the 64GB model. I think the iPT should be $200 for 32GB, $300 for 64GB and $400 for 128GB but I'm not Apple and I suppose of you can continue to milk the cow with the same capacities year after year then I probably would do it too.

As for an update next year we might finally see the mythical 128GB model and some new colors but I don't see any internal updates since it seems Apple has changed their upgrading for the iPods to be every two years.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.