Prefer the iPhone 5S or the 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IpadSC400, Dec 8, 2014.

1. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Just getting some input as to who prefers the 5S over the 6. I personally prefer the 5S over the 6 in the long-run. Prefer the 6 Plus over the 5S.

Input welcome! :)

2. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

6 plus... That's because it's the newest out right now. Then again if I didn't know any better I would say 5s looks more aesthetically sexy.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My brother just got the 6. I still prefer my 5S. I hope the 4" comeback rumors are true.

4. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

5S!

I prefer to keep a phone in my front pocket, and also having the ability to sit down comfortably.

I hope my 5S lasts a long time.

5. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I changed from 5s to 6 and I dont need no Ipad anymore.

6. techspin macrumors 6502a

.7" made you ditch your iPad?? I could see a 6 plus replacing an iPad mini maybe.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I like the 5s form factor much better, but the 6 is still a 1 handed device. I have very small, borderline girl hands, and can comfortably 1 hand it.

I have no trouble fitting it in my front pocket.

----------

agreed. It could never replace my ipad b.c of battery life and size.

----------

Have you tried the 6 outside of in store? It is not a "big" device by any means. Instead of holding the phone at the bottom, rest it on your fingers towards the middle of the device and you can reach pretty much all parts of the screen.

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I prefer the 5S in terms of usablity as I find the 6 just a bit too big, and not usable one handed without shuffling the phone up and down (and no I'm not interested in reachablity , it's annoying) . Give me a 4 inch iPhone 6S with the curvy 6 design and I'd be sold :)

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

If you prefer the iPhone 5S, make sure to find one with iOS 7.1.2, as that will give you the best performance.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I have the 6+ and often miss my i5.
    This thing is great at home but as soon as the time comes to pocket it, the love affair ends. The i5 was fantastic for just throwing in a pocket and using one handed. I don't have any experience with the 4.7" i6 though and expect that would be just fine.

11. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I have a 6 as my personal phone and a 5S for my work phone. Every time I grab the 5S, I wish it were a 6. The 5S just feels so dinky now.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

A poll would allow you (and others) to view responses at a glance. As t stands you need to read through each post for a simple answer.

I prefer the 6 if my option is that or the 5s. The 5s just feels too small now that nine if my devices are under five inches. I prefer the plus over the 6, even though I've had some performance issues.

13. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

iPhone 5s....went and checked out the 6 and 6 plus, I just didn't like the feel of it. Too thin and feels cheap to me. Feels like a samsung product.

14. nutmac macrumors 68040

iPhone 5s is definitely better for one hand. Having said that, iPhone 6 is far more pleasant to hold and larger screen is so much worth it (in fact, I now envy my wife's iPhone 6 Plus).

And you will eventually get used to using two hands to do certain things here and there and many apps are fairly usable with one hand.

15. newellj, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

newellj macrumors 601

Renewal time on my iPhone 5 contract, got a 6, planning to return it for a 5S. Loved the 6 so much that I replaced my other phone, a 5S, with another 6 that I paid full retail price for. That's how much better I like the 6. I thought it would be too big - it isn't, and once I used it there was no going back. Bigger screen/easier to read emails and websites...easier to type on the keyboard...YMMV...

16. ventuss macrumors 6502

I returned my 6 Plus. It was too big since I'm always carrying a tablet and it doesn't replace it, not for me. I didn't want to go for the 6 because the jump from 4"to 4.7"doesn't feel right when you have the 5S.

Now I can say for sure that I'll be one of the first to pre order the 6S. xD

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

The 5s is still a great device, but having gone from a 5s to a 6, I can't say that there's anything better about the former unless you prefer a smaller screen, which I know some people do.

18. sjperformance macrumors 6502

Prefer the iPhone 5S or the 6?

Sold my 5s gold before the 6/6+ launch. Got the 6 at launch. Returned it a week later for the 6+. Used the 6+ for about 1 month. Great to use at home. Eventually I got annoyed by carrying it at work. Driving. Getting inside and outside my car while in my pockets. Taking it to sporting event or sports bars. On Black Friday sold it on eBay and broke even on my next balance. Got a great deal on a brand new 5s...wanted gold but only found a space grey. The 5S is a great device. Truly the best to carry and pocket. I can easily wait for the 6S.

19. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Prefer the size of 5/5s for one handed use and overall feel. But like the 6 for the bigger screen and higher resolution. The 6 has made it easier for reading but harder to handle one handed. Like the feel of the 6 with a slim case on it to get rid of the slippery feeling. I am enjoying the 6 a bit more even though it is to big for my hand.

20. EvoXOhio macrumors member

I keep my 6+ in my front pocket, and sit down comfortably. But I don't wear skinny jeans I actually wear jeans that fit. ;)

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I have a 6, and prefer the.....5S!

If the 5s had the A8 chip, and NFC, I would be back to the 5S in a heartbeat!

22. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

my thinking is this - that's all Apple has to offer - a 6/6+ with bigger/better screen, with slippery but nicer thin case, take it or leave it. if you like them go ahead and buy. but if you do hate them, go elsewhere and buy an android 4/5 inch screen. i have used all iphones since 3/G/S's and now have 6 and 6+, yes their bigger, heavier but this is all they have so i am happy and satisfied. if i am not i will not complain. i will just drop it and buy something else. end of story.

23. meistervu macrumors 65816

Do you think the people on this thread who prefer the 5/5s were complaining?

I thought they just voiced their preference. I think it's important let company know how you feel about their products. Perhaps Apple is considering to offer a 4" 6s in the next round (don't worry, they will still make the 4.7" and 5.5" 6s). More voice from the people who like the 4" size will help the cause.

I too prefer a 4.7" 6. But I can see why some people prefer a 4". It's none of my business what size they want.

On the other hand, the thread about "what color iPhone did you buy?" is a true winner. I came close to making a smarts comment, but I held my tongue and skipped it.

24. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

totally agree with you, but i've seen so many threads here about 'i want a 4 inch screen phone', apple need to bring back the 4 inch screen, i hate the 6 and 6+, and so on and so on. what they need to learn is - that's what they're offering so be happy or move on. do you think apple will go backward and say oh i think we need to release a new 4 inch screen iphone. i hope so for people who wants them. but that's wishful thinking for us. if they do then good for them. i totally understand.

25. mattopotamus, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Then you are left with a decision. How long can you keep your 4" form factor. I think apple will still only offer the 6 and 6+ screen size for their "S" cycle. Maybe with the 7 they will add a 4" screen, or maybe they are completely done with that screen size. Do you try to adjust now or just hold out?

If I 100% knew apple would release a 6S with a 4" screen, I would use the 5S. I just really think they are set with these screen sizes for a while and I need to adjust now. Even with very small hands, I can 1 hand the 6.

Side note: I actually think it helps being a lefty with apple devices. The swipe to back is used all over the OS, and I can still easily do that 1 handed. I think people who are right handed are struggling more with 1 handed use on the 6. The back button is in the top right which makes you adjust your grip and swiping that far across the screen can be hard.