Preferred CD/DVD Burning Utility??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fritzables, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Fritzables macrumors regular

Hi All,

Up until now I was under the assumption that Toast 11 was the better product to buy when one want to burn data onto CD or DVD.

With some research I have the impression that Toast may not as good as what some people are saying.

As a new user to Mac - what is the preferred??

Fritzables

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Guess It Depends

On what you are going to burn, and the level of sophistication you need.....Whats wrong with iDVD? Good starting point.

3. Fritzables thread starter macrumors regular

G'Day MacMan45,

My apologies, yes, you are right- should have provided more info.
    I run a new 2011 iMac and recently coming from a Windows environment previously I used a number of products.

What I am after is something that will copy (Video & Audio), create data discs, I guess something to what Nero would do under Windows.

I was not aware iDVD could perform such tasks....

Pete

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It Can

Id play with it a little, used in conjunction with iMovie you can get some decent results. You can format, erase and manage DVD's and CD's by using the Disk Utility (built in) you can find it in your applications folder in a folder called (Surprisingly) Utilities:)

5. gr8tfly, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Toast has been the leading disc burning software for more than a decade. It's had its ups and downs of features (some useful, some not so much). I'm still on Toast 10 for that reason - I'm not sure I see a big reason to upgrade, yet, unless there becomes some incompatibility with OS-X. That said, I'll probably upgrade at some point, as I've owned just about every version going back to before Adaptec started selling it in 1997. Old habit. :)

In addition to data, disc images, audio, etc., Toast has also been useful for burning DVD backups (VIDEO_TS) and can transcode too. It will support Blu-ray disc with an additional s/w package.

OS-X built-in burning support:

For burning ISO and DMGs, I generally use Disk Utility. For audio, iTunes generally does a great job (the only method if the tracks have DRM).

For data, you can burn folders directly from the Finder. I haven't used the Finder in a while, but I believe it supports multiple-session. They are hybrid (HFS+/ISO9660), so they can be read on either Mac or PC.

For images, you can burn data disks from within iPhoto. They're also hybrid.

6. Fritzables thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks gr8tfly,

Good read. I'll give it a try anyway.... based on your response. :)

Pete