Preordering iPhone on Dad's account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OriolesMagic, Oct 6, 2011.

1. OriolesMagic macrumors member

Hey guys,

I will be using my Dad's upgrade to get the 4S. I will then be giving him my iPhone 4.

Would I be better off just going into AT&T tomorrow morning and just have them place the order for me? So that they know the phone will be changing numbers?

Or could I place the preorder tonight, and then take the phones in when they arrive to get all of the necessary sim cards switched?

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Either. I did this a few years ago with my 3G... just went into the store to have them switch the phone from my daughter's line to mine.

3. OriolesMagic thread starter macrumors member

Ok

My dad apparently talked to someone from AT&T and they recommended to come into the store when they open tomorrow. And have them place the preorder.

I don't think they would do anything different than I would by ordering the phone on his account tonight. I could see them wanting us to bring the phone in to make the exchange easier, but I couldn't figure out why they actually wanted us to make the preorder in store.

So, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I would rather just order straight from Apple tonight.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sure you could go to the store tomorrow but expect to wait to order and for no real advantage to you.

Sounds like someone wants credit for the upgrade. You don't even need to go to the store, you should be able to complete all the steps from home.

Note: This is because you will activate the new iPhone 4S on his line, this will disable his current SIM and activate the new Micro-SIM. Once this is complete just swap the Micro-SIMs. Placing your current Micro-SIM in the new iPhone 4 and your dad's new Micro-SIM in your current iPhone 4.

Dave