Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MathiasVH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Hi guys

So, the first comparison videos are turning up, and it shows that the iPad 2 is actually faster overall than the new iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kxTUhs4_Og

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XFdT3b8cpw

I write this post, as I don't understand - It seems very un-Applely. Let's sum up: The new iPad is thicker, heavier and slower. Why is this? Was Apple simply forced to use this processor to preserve the 10 hour battery? :confused:

I genuinely want to understand this - Not trolling.

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Not very happy about seeing this, but it might take longer to display twice the pixels on a larger screen?

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
The compromize between higher processing power and battrry use is always a choice Apple must make. i could imagine the threads if the iPad 3 battery died after 4-5 hours!!! LOL!

I never expected the iPad 3 to be faster as I know the processor will have it job just doing the higher res screen. I expect about the same speed but with higher quality

lique831

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2011
I'm upgrading from an iPad 1. I saw that it came on before the iPad 1 so I guess I'll be okay..lol.

wallpaper01

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Classic apple, next year comes quad core. Pretty sure they could have done it this year...

I will be buying this because of the app variety and ease of use but I use a Windows 7.5 phone and the OS is far superior

Im sorry iOS is a load of rubbish. The notification center is a joke on the iPad. They need to upgrade this. Live tiles on Windows is amazing, apple need to get this sorted.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
I'm so sick of people complaining that it's thicker and heavier. People act like Apple added many pounds and inches. The additional weight and bulk is so minuscule that it will not even be realized unless you're holding both the new iPad and iPad 2. Even then, i doubt many would notice. These complaints come from the spec vultures who use a spec list to compare devices. OP, if the new iPad is too slow, heavy and bulky for you, go get a Kindle Fire. It's cheaper and lighter.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Personally I take these amateur tests w/ a grain of sand. I'll wait until pro tests from Anandtech and barefeats come out b/c they are a more scientific in the manner they conduct their tests.

Also none of the reviews we saw yesterday even hinted at slowness. I wouldn't expect some of the reviewers to explicitly tar the iPad as slower b/c Apple would cut them off future advance product loans. However, many did mention it was faster. If there was a discernible speed difference between 2 and 3 I doubt they'd go on the line to mention it felt faster than 2; they just wouldn't have mentioned speed at all.

I'm so sick of people complaining that it's thicker and heavier. People act like Apple added many pounds and inches.

Yes, but I imagine the iPads fractional weight gain for some of these 90lb weaklings is quite significant to them. They probably should be buying a membership to LA Fitness instead of carping about gadgets. And to their tiny baby hands, yes, an additional 1 mm is a lot, so have some compassion, please. :D

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
Classic apple, next year comes quad core. Pretty sure they could have done it this year...

I will be buying this because of the app variety and ease of use but I use a Windows 7.5 phone and the OS is far superior

Im sorry iOS is a load of rubbish. The notification center is a joke on the iPad. They need to upgrade this. Live tiles on Windows is amazing, apple need to get this sorted.

Yupp. I bought a Lumia 800 about three weeks ago and it's brilliant while highlighting that iOS is getting ancient. However the app catalogue on iOS is still king.

nUFamn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
As long as the jump to Retina display is a success, a small hit to performance is understandable in my book. Can't wait for mine to arrive, all the same!:apple:

MathiasVH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
I'm so sick of people complaining that it's thicker and heavier. People act like Apple added many pounds and inches. The additional weight and bulk is so minuscule that it will not even be realized unless you're holding both the new iPad and iPad 2. Even then, i doubt many would notice. These complaints come from the spec vultures who use a spec list to compare devices. OP, if the new iPad is too slow, heavy and bulky for you, go get a Kindle Fire. It's cheaper and lighter.

Calm yourself, dude. Seriously. It's not the extra mm or grams that concern me, it's the fact that Apple has always lived by the philosophy: "Thinner, lighter, faster", and this goes against all three.

plathunter

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Do people really fully shut down the Ipad? I can probably count the number of times on my hand how many times I have shut down my ipad 1 or ipad 2 in the last two years. When I am not using it I just put it to sleep.
That was the only real speed difference I saw in the two clips. Everything else was equal or extremely close that I wouldn't notice the difference unless they are side by side.

wallpaper01

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Yupp. I bought a Lumia 800 about three weeks ago and it's brilliant while highlighting that iOS is getting ancient. However the app catalogue on iOS is still king.

Yeah I replaced my iPhone 4 with the Lumia 800 too. Took a bit to get used to it but its so fluid and the live tiles are awesome. Especially the BBC news app.

iOS is just too static and needs to be more dynamic and fluid, its 2012, the iCloud was good for last year now get this thing slick and redesigned before the new Windows 8 is out! Otherwise if that takes off im off too!

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

I've never understood why Android and WM people one to a APPLE site and and then take the time to post their support for their chosen OS. ???

Ok, we get it. You don't like iOS. Please go to a WM forum. WTF are you doing here???

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
guys it IS faster, just not now at this moment, wait until the next software update comes out, the ipad 2 will start getting slower and slower just like the ipad 1 is with iOS 5 and guess what? the iPad 3 will STILL be fast while the other 2 models will be slower.

wallpaper01

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I've never understood why Android and WM people one to a APPLE site and and then take the time to post their support for their chosen OS. ???

Ok, we get it. You don't like iOS. Please go to a WM forum. WTF are you doing here???

??? Im not a WM person... I'm not an Apple person either. I will be buying this iPad because I love the design and the screen sounds amazing. But I do think the OS is showing its age. It IS noticbly slower than Windows Phone OS but this is a new OS and its expected. I just hope apple redesigns for iOS 6 because I love apples design and the app store is second to none!

So calm down please... Can I not have an opinion?! :rolleyes:

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Hi guys

So, the first comparison videos are turning up, and it shows that the iPad 2 is actually faster overall than the new iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kxTUhs4_Og

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XFdT3b8cpw

I write this post, as I don't understand - It seems very un-Applely. Let's sum up: The new iPad is thicker, heavier and slower. Why is this? Was Apple simply forced to use this processor to preserve the 10 hour battery? :confused:

I genuinely want to understand this - Not trolling.

Comparision with Apple site is really bad idea - Apple already updated it with retina graphics for new iPad, so new iPad is downloading much bigger version than iPad 2.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale

absolutely...a classic case of looking for problems - I really don't care about nanoseconds...and no one else does either - try and get outside today and get some fresh air....my other pet peeve is the idiots that spend 600 bucks for a tablet and then scour amazon and o.co for a $7 dollar case.....Sheesh...

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
guys it IS faster, just not now at this moment, wait until the next software update comes out, the ipad 2 will start getting slower and slower just like the ipad 1 is with iOS 5 and guess what? the iPad 3 will STILL be fast while the other 2 models will be slower.

Uh. No.

As I understand it, the iPad.3 has the same processor as the iPad 2 except for some additional graphics cores.

The 10-million dollar question is whether the graphics chips are share memory with the main system (as many low end laptops do).

Either way, you wont' see an ipad.3 outperforming and ipad 2. The only thing to leverage is more RAM and software won't fix that.

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Uh. No.
The 10-million dollar question is whether the graphics chips are share memory with the main system (as many low end laptops do).

Of course they do, there is no other memory on SOC... Also graphics is a part of A5X.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Uh. No.

As I understand it, the iPad.3 has the same processor as the iPad 2 except for some additional graphics cores.

Either way, you wont' see an ipad.3 outperforming and ipad 2. The only thing to leverage is more RAM and software won't fix that.

dude, the ipad 3 has 1GB of ram, while ipad 2 has 512, BIG DIFFERENCE.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
absolutely...a classic case of looking for problems - I really don't care about nanoseconds...and no one else does either

Some people are not happy unless they are peeing in someone else's cornflakes. Of course, their threads are always 'only to inform others'. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.