Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Preparing for iPhone 4 Launch: Standing in Line, Impressions, Early Apps

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The iPhone 4 officially launches on Thursday. If you haven't already pre-ordered one, there's still a chance to get one on launch day, but you're going to need to be prepared to stand in line. We've heard reports that Wal-Marts, Radio Shacks and Best Buys are getting just a handful of units each, and those units are almost certainly spoken for already. So, if you want to get an iPhone 4 on day one, you're going to need to find an Apple Store which is likely to have a reasonable number of walk-in units. Those with pre-order reservations will be shuttled to their own line to pick up their new iPhones.

Lines have already started at Apple Stores in a few major cities. If you're looking for some company, we have a meetup forum that is organizing meetups in various cities. Search for your city here to find local individuals.

If you have pre-ordered the iPhone, some early deliveries started yesterday with many more expected today. We've started organizing threads that might be of use for those still deciding:

- First Impressions of iPhone 4
- Video Taken with iPhone 4
- Photos Taken with iPhone 4

The iPhone 4 comes with some specific new features and some early apps are starting to take advantage of the high-resolution Retina display as well as the Gyroscope. Some of these include:

- Real Racing (Gyroscope and Retina Display)
- Eliminate:GunRange (Gyroscope and Retina Display)
- Sketchbook Mobile (Retina Display)
- Kindle for iPhone (Retina Display)

A list of more of these iPhone 4 capable apps will be posted to iPhone 4 Apps thread over time.

Please send line photos, unboxing photos, tips and more to tips@macrumors.com.

Article Link: Preparing for iPhone 4 Launch: Standing in Line, Impressions, Early Apps

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Ugh.. Since 8:30 last night my package has shown "Departed Newark NJ"

Newark is 4 hours from my house... I can't understand why it hasn't updated... If I call FedEx is there any chance they have any extra information?

I can't wait to get my hands on this, the info from the reviews and from people that got it yesterday is killing me.

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
Umm...

"Kindle for iPhone (Retina Display)"

So text / apps have to be optimised to display with the much touted "like a printed book" quality?

I thought the whole point was that ANY text on this display would appear much sharper than previous generations...? :confused:

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
"Kindle for iPhone (Retina Display)"

So text / apps have to be optimised to display with the much touted "like a printed book" quality?

I thought the whole point was that ANY text on this display would appear much sharper than previous generations...? :confused:

If the app uses the iOS4 text rendering it should be handled automatically. My guess is the Kindle app uses its own text rendering engine to provide more flexibility of text display.

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007

Newark is 4 hours from my house... I can't understand why it hasn't updated... If I call FedEx is there any chance they have any extra information?

I can't wait to get my hands on this, the info from the reviews and from people that got it yesterday is killing me.

Mine left Indianapolis, IN at about 5:00 AM, I hope they flew it out, because I'm about 5 hours away from there. I will be a little more then annoyed if it does come today, after moving my day off....

jennemmy

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
Line updates! Happy dance over here. I actually have a genuis bar appt this morning so I guess I will get to see if anything is started in CT.

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
I have a reservation for tomorrow, so this is going to the longest day ever. If it's slow at work today, I swear I will punch a baby. ;)

Apple 1984

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
Uggh

I keep kicking myself for not pre-ordering. I don't have time to stand in line tomorrow. I wonder how long it will be before they become easily available... another month?

robindahlia789

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
so tempting!

I'd be all over this if i wasn't going to SOI (school of infantry) in a week. I'd have to wait 2 months to really abuse the new phone

XLR8

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2009
I'm one of those guys that sits in the theater at the end of a movie until all the credits go by just so I don't have to deal with the crowd. It's so much easier.

I'll just wait patiently until the second round of phones in July. It does look like a nice phone though.

mrapplefan

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010

Same here i got the email says today and mine left newark, nj last night 8:30 and hasnt done anything im only 35mins away from newark. Hope it didnt get lost.

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
Mine left Indianapolis, IN at about 5:00 AM, I hope they flew it out, because I'm about 5 hours away from there. I will be a little more then annoyed if it does come today, after moving my day off....

LOL! Me too! I moved my day off as well. My AT&T order show out for delivery but my Apple order shows "In Transit" from NJ to CT. Apple said I would get it on the 23rd regardless of the tracking info. We shall see. I hope I get both today and dont waste my day off.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I wonder if the Apple stores will have white phones tomorrow for those waiting in line? Has anyone seen any information on this? I'm just curious because it would suck if you wanted white and got on line overnight or early in the morning, only to be told they only have black.

I pre-ordered my black online, but my GF is holding out for the white, we are just going to wait until things die down hopefully mid-july and get one or oder it.

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
LOL! Me too! I moved my day off as well. My AT&T order show out for delivery but my Apple order shows "In Transit" from NJ to CT. Apple said I would get it on the 23rd regardless of the tracking info. We shall see. I hope I get both today and dont waste my day off.

I think fedex tracking is not updating. At 8:00 my status changed to show it in Cleveland at 5:30.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
so tempting!

I'd be all over this if i wasn't going to SOI (school of infantry) in a week. I'd have to wait 2 months to really abuse the new phone

That coupled with the fact if you are at Pendleton, you will more than likely get no signal anyway (and this goes for most providers, unless they have really upgraded service in those areas. When lived around there off base was the only place a signal was available, for any provider not just AT$T).

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2003
New Orleans, LA
For what seems like the lsat month I've been going back and forth in my brain about getting an iPhone 4. I currently use a SLVR from '05 so this would be my first smart phone of any kind.

Anyone know when the white will be available?

beerwhisperer

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
long story

short.

ordered at 7:40am 6/15 from regular ATT site (I have an account)
timeout after CC info submitted
no info from ATT
Re-ordered at 2:30 just in case
2nd order cancelled 7pm 6/15
Order acknowledged 6/16, no ATT site update
6/18 order status on ATT shows "prepared to ship"
6/20 order gets tracking number, no fedex results
6/23 fedex results, "initiated" with a ship date of 6/24

The worst part is I live in Indy, where apparently there's a cache of phone's out at the airport. Glad I preordered tho. I had to return my 3GS to get the upgrade price, and I'm working off a 750 from last year that feels like a startac at this point.

kilowatt76

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I pre-ordered my 16gb iPhone 4 using the Apple Store App and worked with no problems. I'm usually not a big fan of waiting in long lines but this will be worth it. I can't wait! I will be arriving at 3am and I'm sure the line will already be wrapping around the mall. I heard they will have two lines, one for pre-orders and one for walk-ins. I wonder how many they will have for walk-ins? How did the pre-order sales go with the iPhone 3g at SouthPark Mall, Charlotte, NC on release day?

mrapplefan

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Does any1 know if my phone left departed my local hub and is not "on truck" and also has an esitmate for june 24? will i still get it today because of apples email?

tomitom

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
Dont Belive Apple 23 Latter Its A Bad Joke

my phone was in AK till 2:45 am than at Memphis this morning at 5:45 am and im in New jersey BUT I just got it 10 minutes ago FedEx website still shows 24 and departed in Memphis so there is still hope for today for all of you that had thier phone stuck in AK for 2 days !!

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007

We probably caught the same flight, I left Indianapolis at 4:38am today. Landed at BWI at 5:59am.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.