Preparing myself for disappointment...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wnxgenral, Jun 7, 2009.

1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

So I love my iPhone and I have since I waited in line 28 hours for my first gen and 25 for my 3G but I feel as if tomorrow is kinda going to be a disappointment... I mean having already used 3.0, I am not THAT impressed since it includes everything the iPhone should originally have had... Also does anyone else feel that the iPhones UI is 2 years dated? Cause it def is and needs a facelift... I got really excited for that Apple Media event a few months back and that was also a disappointment. You know how crappy its gonna be to wake up and find out that OMG the iPhone can now record video and upload them on MobileMe? and its gonna take Scott Forestal like 45 minutes to demonstrate this? Ugh, don't get me wrong, I won't sleep tonight but I'm prepared for a disappointment. Sorry if I sound pessimistic. but yah.

jack :apple:

also the next post about a ATT or Apple Retail employee knows anything about a new iPhone. I'm throwing my MBP against the wall. hahah.

2. Dan in PA macrumors regular

Better to be prepared for disappointment and pleasantly surprised later, than to have high hopes and be let down later.

3. kinkster macrumors 6502a

If they introduce an iPhone with a different material, more power, and video recording I won't be disappointed.

all of that is pretty sure, and probably atleast one of the not so definite rumors will come true.

and then there's snow leopard which im also looking forward too.

4. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

But all these things that are coming to the new iphone have been on other phones for years, why are we finally getting all this... They come out with a ground breaking device and we are FINALLY getting feature's that we should have had from day one... If we had those feature's from day one imagine what they could be coming out with now...

James

5. bradenwh macrumors 6502

I have a feeling the power and speed of tomorrow's iPhone will put it in front of the current phones on the market.

6. dark-saito macrumors regular

What i beleive...

Tomorrow will be HOPEFULLY a bittersweet day for the iPhone. Here's why:

With all the rumors around of front facing camera, light up Apple icon (ew), and things or the sort, of course people are going to be disappointed. MAYBE a front facing camera, but knowing Apple, they will only allow it to take pictures for now and wait till the next iPhone (or OS) to have it do video chat/calling. It seems like something they would do.

ON THE OTHER HAND, it's very likely they'll pull something out of their arses that make people think "ZoMg WhY dIdN't i ThInK aBoUt ThAt?!?!?1/1!?!/?!?!/1/1!" so yeah...

I guess my point is, don't "prepare" yourself for something you know will make you happy and go out and buy it like you would anyway. Cause you know you would. ;)

7. peteryan7hao macrumors regular

peteryan7hao

I disagree.

You never know whats Steve Jobs (and his team) got up his sleeve :p
    If you look at the WWDC center (Moscone) Apple has NEVER done anything that huge! banners, pictures everywhere, almost covered the whole building.
    I think its gonna be huge!

8. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but it's still somewhat exciting because now you can have that stuff on the iphone, not just any phone.

9. bradenwh macrumors 6502

I agree with you.

10. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

You have some good points, but the thing I hate about them is they have the software and hardware to do a lot of things but they tease you with all this, and they do it well to keep you hooked and say " In only a couple of months I can upgrade the software and get this now".. But meanwhile all this stuff we are getting ( besides video chat if it's even going to come out) has been around for a while...

It seems apple gives you a little at a time to keep you interested....

James

11. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

This is true:apple:

James

12. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

?!?

I really don't get it.

If you love your 3G and it does most everything you need it to, why is this even an issue? Get 3.0 and be happy with your phone.

I love mine and while I am interested in what tomorrow brings, it will in NO WAY be disappointing to me.

13. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

one thing i think they do.. is they allow a certain number of things to be not so confidential inside the company as other things are top secret and people dont know about them until release day. And those things that arent confidential are not meant to be leaked but they know they will.. therefore they can get a sense of the hype. So i think they limited themselves this times with the pottential of leaks and there gonna suprise us tomorrow and make this keynote next to the best one when they announced the iphone. This one is gonna be truly remarkable:apple::apple:

14. koopa35 macrumors 6502

you make great points. all i want is a new ui and a front cam just to say my iphone has it. the ui is tired and this my first iphone.

15. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Isn't Snow Leopard gonna be based on speed and performance? You guys ever think that Apple will try and keep this theme with the new iPhone too?

I only expect a video recorder tomorrow along with a new iPhone. So my expectations are very low.

16. App1€ macrumors regular

Ever since that super sexy looking one posted a few days ago (it was the clear mockup with the green iSight light lit up and it was in Google Maps) I've been getting ready because despite what I may wish I doubt that's it.

With that said I'm not looking to be blown away this year just given some boosts in every department and I'll be content enough to upgrade.

17. brian4610 macrumors regular

I'm with the OP, realistically apple will make their announcement on the new iphone tomorrow and it will only bring it up to date with other smart phones circa 2006 by adding the simplest of features (video, MMS, copy/paste, etc)....

I remember last year wanting to get blown away on a massive upgrade with the iphone, but 3G (which should have been there in the first place) and an unreliable GPS just wasn't anything we hadn't seen before in other phones...after the lukewarm announcement last year i tried to think of the last time i was blown away by an apple announcement, and outside of the initial announcement for the iphone (jan 07), i can't think of another time.

I've become conditioned to being disappointed with apple and these types of announcements...

yes, i do believe that 3.0 will be cool, i'm not sure how it will work with my 3G, but a speed bump in the processor and a new camera isn't worth an upgrade....

-just read my post, wow do i sound like a douche....i do like my iphone, just wish it was ahead of the curve instead of following it.....

18. App1€ macrumors regular

I know exactly what you're saying, but I don't think they are really following the curve. In a way they are making the curve because even if something isn't on the iPhone and it gets added to a different phone it is to create competition with the iPhone. So in a way all the phones coming out right now are a result of the iPhone which is always nice to know.

Re-reading my own post I don't believe it had much to do with yours by the time I got to the end, but I'm going to post anyway :p

19. brian4610 macrumors regular

i don't see apple setting the curve though...they've just implemented their own unique style into their phone. Just like palm, blackberry, etc do to their phones...

the app store sets the iphone apart, absolutely. but there is nothing innovative from apple is there? Almost just the opposite with the inexcusable absence the basic features that will be announced 2 1/2 years after the initial phone was announced....it's just frustrating, maybe i expect too much? i don't know, but i've certainly stopped expecting more then the minimum, which is what will be announced tomorrow. Aside from the apple UI, the i don't really see the iphone separating itself from it's competitors with a simple speed bump and a camera....

20. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Quite a few people have said 3.0 will only bring the iPhone up to current iPhones. I agree that some features lagged, but other have been ahead. The media playback and media platform is top notch. The application store has leaped ahead of most every other manufacturer. Some games are on par with dedicated gaming handhelds. The web browser still ranks among the best, if not the best.

So by Apple adding the remaining "expected" features. And if the video and camera are as good as people predict, Apple will put the iPhone undoubtedly toward the top of the list. All that's really missing is multitasking and Apple hasn't been silent about that - they've admitted they made a design decision, at the risk of losing some customers.

Now if they could just fix the rest of my nitpicks...

-Allow phone calls and SMS to take place on top of running applications. Just like double-clicking the home button to change songs while in the middle of something else. I don't want to have to restart my application for a 15 second task. (This could be done without allowing system wide multitasking).

-The ability to put a point of contact on my lock screen in case my phone is lost.

-The ability to delete Apple's apps which I never use.

-Why must alarms be organized by their time. This was started in 2.0, allow me to drag and drop them in the order I want them. I don't need a 5am alarm that runs once a month to be the first thing on my list, it should actually be the last.

-Allow alarms play music like iPod.

-Allow users to set snooze length.

-More features to the alarms application, such as silence text messages from midnight to 8am.

-Allowing setting custom alert tones per contact for SMS and Voicemail alerts.

-Wirelessly sync pertinent data when on a home network.

-Allow some alarms to ignore the silent switch. I my not want my phone to ring at the movies; but if I forget to flip my silence switch off, I definitely want to wake up for work the next morning.

-Don't reorganize my apps after a restore. Restore my phone, re-sync my apps and the use my restore data to put the application back where they were.

-If "Double-click the home button for: iPod controls" is set to on, make a third option which corresponds with the double-click home's normal function. Example: [Close] [iPod] [Camera] or [Close] [iPod] [Search] or [Close] [iPod] [Phone Favorites]. Right now there are too many steps when the only options are [Close] and [iPod].

-Divide the iPhone's iPod application into the iPod touch's Video and Music applications. This is simply a personal choice, but after using an iPod touch, I like it better.

-Allow mail rules in MobileMe which are then ran before they reach my phone.

-Provide a choice to not autorotate screen per application or system wide. Or lock screen rotation.

-Allow editing of dictionary to erase words which were erroneously entered.

-Ability to hide keyboard in SMS while reading past dialog. Simply tap the conversation area to hide Keyboard.

-Place a scroll-bar in other apps. I don't want to flick through 300 pages in a PDF. This is already available in some applications but needs to be in more, flicking gets old and tiring.

- Allow creating smart playlists on phone. When syncing with the computer new songs are added that match criteria. At least allow recently added and least heard options on iPhone. Also, allow all library songs to be viewed on the iPhone, perhaps with a show all button. I often want a song that isn't on my phone, it'd be great to flag it to be sync'd next time.

-Easy way to passcode lock the iPhone. If I have my default passcode lock time set to 15 minutes, I may want to passcode lock (not just sleep) my phone immediately if for example turning the phone in while entering a secure area at work.

-Allow renaming on the go playlists via iPhone.

-Allow easier managing of iPhone with multiple computers. Perhaps by syncing playlists with Mobileme. I have more than one Mac.

-Sync URLs from cal events to iPhone.

-Allow toggling of different calendars. Currently it's all or one, I want to consistently see four calendars while hiding the rest unless I need some specific information.

21. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Since all I'm really looking forward to is 3.0, it should be a good day for me. From what I already now is true, any more they tell us will be wonderful.

22. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

^^honestly, i agree with every single one of those nitpicks..and they could all be implemented relatively easily

23. mac88 macrumors 6502

24. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

For the past year are so I've definitely lowered my expectations.
    That being said, I believe Apple will do something special with this update since this will be time for original iPhone users to renew their 2yr contracts if they skipped the 3G update.

25. puercaeli macrumors regular

Oh you forgot the truncated long title...