Prepping to sell Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aquadisiac, Dec 1, 2011.

1. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

What do I need to do to prep it for resale? I want to keep some of the programs I purchased to use as an incentive to resell like MS Office. Is that possible if I restore it with the CD? Will that revert it back to Snow Leopard if it has Lion on it?

It's a Mid-2009 that was purchased February of this year with about 1 year of Applecare left.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Just sell it with a fresh install using the original install disks. If you want to give freebies add the install disks of that also.

4. aquadisiac thread starter macrumors 6502

Oops I didnt know it was illegal. That was how I sold my White Macbook. Thanks

Good idea. Thank you.

5. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

To answer your question, you should just do a 7 or 35-pass secure erase on the HDD by booting off the Snow Leopard DVD and then install the OS. If you want to install iLife from the 2nd DVD and do it before rebooting, you will need an external DVD drive to temporarily connect to it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Keep this thread on topic about prepping to sell a MacBook, not about the OP's prior thread and/or judgement on his actions of that prior thread.

7. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

In my opinion, the OP shouldn't sell the macbook. As for prepping it, note any damage in the ad you post especially damage that may be internal from drops. Additionally, you should probably mention any drops or damage to a potential buyer in case the damage is not readily apparent or they miss it when looking it over.

Clear the hard drive and do a fresh install.

8. aquadisiac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. :)

This macbook pro has NEVER been dropped. My previous WHITE macbook was the one fell from the top of a car. This Macbook Pro has been in a speck case since the day it was purchased.

Im definitely selling it because there's no reason to have two MBPs since I will be purchasing a new one once the new models are released.