Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Hi all,

Is it just me, or do you have to apply harder than normal force while pressing and holding for Siri?

When I do a normal press, until I hear the click, thats not hard enough to activate Siri while holding. I have to press firmer in after the click to get Siri. Anyone else?

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Nope, not normal, I'm applying force till I can hear the click, and then Siri gets activated.

That's funny because my click works perfectly fine. For normal operation (pushing home button and double-push for open tasks) works perfectly well. Is there a seperate sensor for detecting push and hold? I have to press harder than the click, which is harder than my 5s.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Siri works fine without any more pressure on the home button than I used on my 5S.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
At first my home button was hard to get siri to work. But over time it works better now. At first my button had a hard click to it, now its soft click.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
OP make sure it's an immediate click and you are not hovering over the home button. If you rest your finger slightly and then click you might accidentally activate TouchID instead of Siri.

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
At first my home button was hard to get siri to work. But over time it works better now. At first my button had a hard click to it, now its soft click.

Do you know if there is a separate sensor in there that is supposed to detect click (hold) vs just normal click? My normal click works perfectly time, as well as double click..but the hold does not, unless I push harder than normal.

----------

OP make sure it's an immediate click and you are not hovering over the home button. If you rest your finger slightly and then click you might accidentally activate TouchID instead of Siri.

I'm sure about this because I used Siri all the time on my 5s :) Thanks!

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
The home button has NO pressure sensor what so ever. None nothing. Siri is based off how long you press the home button for not how much force is used. As long as your pressing the home button she will come up.

wickkedd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2014
The home button has NO pressure sensor what so ever. None nothing. Siri is based off how long you press the home button for not how much force is used. As long as your pressing the home button she will come up.

Well that doesn't explain why I can click normally for everything (returning to main menu, double click for running programs, etc), but when I press and hold, nothing happens, until I apply force and press quite a bit harder...

Phone nutter

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
I updated my iPhone 6 to the latest revision today and now Siri doesn't work ?
Tried turning on and off in settings - still no joy .
Any advice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.