Press: "Apple Must Kill The iPhone 4"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessmacuser, Jul 16, 2010.

1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I remain a loyal Apple customer of over ten years.

I have a vast library of content residing in i
    Tunes. It began the day iTunes was released to the present. While I have a buggy iPhone 4, I've already sold my 3Gs, and have no intensions of buying another. I don't go back, ever. That said, I will put up with my iP4 till Apple releases the next model. The worst annoyance is due to the bungled launch & vast press coverage of the iPhone 4 problems, I'm asked over & over "how bad's your phone?"*

I came across this article which suits my preference perfectly.*

Excerpt:

"Apple needs to act now. Rather than follow its annual upgrade cycle for the iPhone--a relatively leisurely pace in the mobile phone world--it must deliver a new model ASAP.

Again, the iPhone 4 has lost its cachet. It's no longer the coolest gadget in town. People won't swoon over your new iPhone, they'll _ask_ if you're _having _signal _problems."

source:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013...iphone_4_the_sooner_the_better.html?tk=hp_new

2. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

3. Alphaspida macrumors member

Sucks for you 1% who have a problem.

Stop crying about it and just return the damn phone.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't need people to "swoon" over my phone. It works great for me.

5. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

The only person I need to swoon over my phone, is me. I love it. I don't have any signal issues. I feel bad for those that do, but it seems that returning the phone or getting a free case to see if that will help you is pretty fair. The press have taken this way, way too far.

6. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

This ***** is getting old.

I don't give a care who "swoons" over my phone. Mine works perfectly, with and without a bumper. If yours doesn't, please return it.

They aren't going to release a new phone. :rolleyes:

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The "Press" in this case is PC Mag an avidly anti-Apple magazine written for people who don't want or like any Apple magazine, and you post it here as some kind of proof?

Paid Troll.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Every time I think I’ve seen a ridiculous, more ridiculous comes along.

9. quotison macrumors member

Bungled launch? People think your iPhone is bad, in part, because so many people tried to preorder an iPhone that the servers went down?

You've alluded to "problems" in the plural, but the iPhone is getting glowing reviews and even high ratings from Consumer Reports and the like, with the exception of the antenna issue. Everyone knows the iPhone 4 isn't a lemon, it's an otherwise fine product with a single significant flaw.

I don't think anyone is asking you "how bad" your phone is. They're asking you whether you're getting dropped calls. And most are going to say no, and some will say "yeah, until I got this free case." Many will even say that their reception is better than previous iPhones.

10. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Go away troll, all of here that actually own one are happy with it.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

As an actual member of the "press" who may be having a problem with his phone, don't pretend to speak for me. After reading the link, it's also apparent that the article is AN OPINION PIECE. His whole column is based on a perception that the iPhone 4 is some flawed piece of junk because it's a story many national media outlets have latched upon.

I recently read an opinion piece in PC Mag or PC World about 10 technologies that should've died but haven't. One in this list was the optical disc. You can download some stuff, so why ever bother with a disc? I mean, surely everybody has blazing-fast broadband and a method of backing up files that isn't susceptible to failure as much as magnetic hard disks. Oh wait, they call those CDs and DVDs. Blu-ray is outpacing DVD's growth on a similar time scale, so obviously it's failing. Yes, maybe 25 percent of all music sold is downloaded, so it's time to get rid of ALL OPTICAL MEDIA.

I don't know if you're a troll or not, but I think the response to this thread speaks for itself.

12. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I was going to write this exact post. Instead, I'll just say

+1.

13. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

I get tons of women with my iphone, don't you?

14. tpabrad macrumors regular

To my surprise, I took the case off of my 3G after reading through the press conference stuff and looked at the Apple website, I can reproduce the same thing on it, very easily. This makes me feel a ton better about buying the phone, which Im currently on the waiting list for. I agree with everyone else though, if your not happy, do something about it :)

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I get tons of women, but I always thought it was my AXE Body Spray? :confused:

16. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Ah. Why can't all new posters be nice and sensible like you?

You will love your new phone when you finally get it!

17. churchrd macrumors member

I've had two people say "oh, you got the iPhone 4? I heard it sucks." I asked them what they heard, and they just talked the reception issues. They honestly thought that it was this huge deal. Whatever.

I told them, my phone has the reception issues, BUT i haven't dropped a call yet, and haven't been without service.

To the OP, you need get over it. I'm sorry you don't have a phone that everyone is going to drool over anymore. But those snide remarks you're hearing are only coming from fandroids and jealous types. Why are you worried about what they think? Or even what the media thinks?

You're obviously a loyal Apple customer who's decided to keep your phone and it's quirks. If it works for you, that's all that matters.

Forget the rest of 'em. The iPhone 4 is a great device(notice i didn't call it a phone:eek:).

Now you can rest easy and let the hoods and hooligans target EVO owners;)
    (and don't worry, Apple will be fine, they're still gonna sell these things like crazy).

18. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

here this will make you feel even better :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=969875

19. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

That's what you get for buying into commercials. ;)

20. Macdctr macrumors regular

+1.

OP,

No disrespect intended but who cares what is said in a PC magazine???? I could care less what they have to say. Yes, my iPhone4 had reception problems when I did the death grip but when I got my case (which I intended on doing) I no longer had those problems.

I will say that compared to my POS iPhone 3GS, my new iPhone4 is 1000X better:D It is fast, looks way better, and I get fewer dropped calls compared to the 3GS that I had. I'm very satisfied with my new iPhone:apple:

21. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I feel sorry for you. You are a new member here who registered in July of 2010. Because of the deluge of horrible people joining this site in June 2010 and July 2010, it has become hard not to discriminate and not just look at them all askew.

So I just want to say welcome, and enjoy your stay. I knew there had to be some normal people join MacRumors in the past 7 weeks, but I was starting to wonder.

22. Russiaone macrumors 6502

I don't want anyone swooning over my phone. In fact, with all of my iPhones I never even let anyone see me using it, as I don't like people envying my stuff. Then they want it and kill me and I'm dead. :eek:

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Thread title should be changed to: PCWorld: "Apple Must Kill The iPhone 4".

24. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The 99% of people who are not having problems seem to be more then happy holding on to a flawed device.

One thing all phone manufactures are forgetting, Apple included, is that the main purpose of a phone, is to be a phone. One would expect other issues with a device over issues of phone usage, as cell phones have been made of decades. The fact that the rest of the device works well and only the phone side is flawed is a troubling one.

25. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The proximity sensor issue, which was pushed to the "Oh By the Way" category in today's speech is more of an issue than the signal drop.

If that doesn't get fixed real soon, I have 2 phones that are going back.