Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
The 99% of people who are happy with their iPhone 4 are intelligent enough to know that they are not holding a "flawed device". They are intelligent enough to make a phone work as a phone.

If you aren't then return it.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I'll be more annoyed if my iPhone isn't the latest model after a few months. I don't need people to "swoon" over my phone. It is my phone, I like it, and it works good for me.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The 99% of people who are not having problems seem to be more then happy holding on to a flawed device.

One thing all phone manufactures are forgetting, Apple included, is that the main purpose of a phone, is to be a phone. One would expect other issues with a device over issues of phone usage, as cell phones have been made of decades. The fact that the rest of the device works well and only the phone side is flawed is a troubling one.

Despite the fact that I just made it drop a call by covering that area on the phone, I'm still mostly satisfied with it. I got a new digital issue of Maxim today, and the Zinio people didn't put crappy photos in this one. The display is frickin' awesome, and I have a better signal than with my 3GS when not affected by the death grip.

I'll probably try to return it or get a free cover. What Apple needs to do is not wait so darn long to reveal dimensions for third parties who want to make cases. Is that really going to ruin your entire year? Is Motorola going to spend two months saying, "Oh, Apple's phone is that shape? CHANGE THE WHOLE THING!" I might not have known anything was wrong if InCase would've had lead time to have cases out already.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I've had two people say "oh, you got the iPhone 4? I heard it sucks." I asked them what they heard, and they just talked the reception issues. They honestly thought that it was this huge deal. Whatever.

I've had this too and it's odd. When you explain that your phone works just fine they look at you like you're crazy.

Seriously, the media is treating this like an election year story.

inlvnv

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Well, signal does go all the way down on my ip4 and sometimes I can't make calls or terminates while INTENTIONALLY holding it in "death grip." I still have my ip3gs and ipad, so keeping my ip4 is not really necessary.

But the thing is, I really like the design and rest of its functions; and I've already learned to not use the "Death grip" if I don't want the calls terminated, which happens occasionally. So...what the heck, I'll be keeping the ip4 and taking the free bumper offer. I have 3 lines with iphone on my family plan, so, likely I'll be getting a new "ip5" next June anyway.

One good thing is that I now have a way to terminate annoying calls. I'll just give the ol' death grip and blame it.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
The only person I need to swoon over my phone, is me. I love it. I don't have any signal issues. I feel bad for those that do, but it seems that returning the phone or getting a free case to see if that will help you is pretty fair. The press have taken this way, way too far.
Exactly. Well said. :)

Personally, I don't get electronics to impress other people. I get electronics for my needs. Simple.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Parsing words or sentences from the article to justify your judgmental criticisms proves nothing. There is a very valid point to that article that is easily missed by those who do not understand business. When one steps back and looks at the big picture, it's not about who's right or wrong. It's not about the faults. It's about the public perception.

If the author of the article, as well as the magazine were anti Apple, like some suggested, they wouldn't be writing a suggestion on how Apple could recover their image and move forward.

Many here are taking this personally, rejecting the free exchange of info and experiences. It's rather juvenile to say " mines fine " I don't care if you got a bad one. Get out of here, and take the truth with you.

quotison

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
One thing all phone manufactures are forgetting, Apple included, is that the main purpose of a phone, is to be a phone.

Really? Says who? The main purpose of my iPhone isn't voice calling. The iPhone's popularity has never been tied to its quality as a phone, but rather, the 200,000+ other things it does.

I think these sort of hiccups are bound to occur when you're trying to put more and more in a small device. That's how we got antennas on the outside. It's not that manufacturers aren't able to engineer phones, but that the phone capabilities do compete with everything else that's inside a modern smart phone.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
All these whiny clowns are the reason iPhones will go back to having terrible reception for everyone. Apple pushed the envelope so most can get better reception. I've never had better reception than I do now with an iPhone. But now they will go back to traditional design to appease the 0.55% at the expense of the rest of us 99.45%

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
u noe.. i dont mind they stop the production of this phone n make a new model.

then i would be glad to own one of the limited edition iphone.

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I loath the press when they stop telling me what's happening and start telling me (directly or indirectly) what to do, or those they report on. This turn the art of journalism into daytime TV. Gossip column constituents would be proud.

101AirAssault

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
And the purpose of your post is ?

New guy here but it seems to be pretty clear what he's saying. If you (population) don't like the i4, take it back.

All these whiny clowns are the reason iPhones will go back to having terrible reception for everyone. Apple pushed the envelope so most can get better reception. I've never had better reception than I do now with an iPhone. But now they will go back to traditional design to appease the 0.55% at the expense of the rest of us 99.45%

No they won't... this is the new design and I believe they will be sticking with it. I have 0 issues with my phone and actually get better reception than with my 3g or 3gs.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
I remain a loyal Apple customer of over ten years.

I have a vast library of content residing in i
Tunes. It began the day iTunes was released to the present. While I have a buggy iPhone 4, I've already sold my 3Gs, and have no intensions of buying another. I don't go back, ever. That said, I will put up with my iP4 till Apple releases the next model. The worst annoyance is due to the bungled launch & vast press coverage of the iPhone 4 problems, I'm asked over & over "how bad's your phone?"*

I came across this article which suits my preference perfectly.*

Excerpt:

"Apple needs to act now. Rather than follow its annual upgrade cycle for the iPhone--a relatively leisurely pace in the mobile phone world--it must deliver a new model ASAP.

Again, the iPhone 4 has lost its cachet. It's no longer the coolest gadget in town. People won't swoon over your new iPhone, they'll _ask_ if you're _having _signal _problems."

source:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013...iphone_4_the_sooner_the_better.html?tk=hp_new

Take a hint. We're bored of reading this sort of garbage. Return your phone or take it out for dinner, a movie, and a midnight stroll and rekindle your love for it. The self-loathing-Apple-fan-of-many-years routine is getting old and tired.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Here is a list of threads started by wirelessmacuser

They are unremittingly negative.

twoll_hunter.jpg

Ccowboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
Listen! This is doing my nut in now, I haven't even bought the iPhone 4 yet (waiting for the white)...

This can be summed up very VERY simply...

Apple will solve this problem for EVERYBODY and what will all these nay sayers have to complain about when they've changed the smartphone world forever, AGAIN.

I'm buying one.

:p

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Listen! This is doing my nut in now, I haven't even bought the iPhone 4 yet (waiting for the white)...

Apple will solve this problem for EVERYBODY and what will all these nay sayers have to complain about when they've changed the smartphone world forever, AGAIN.

I'm buying one.

:p

Well, let's just say they're 'nay sayers' for a reason. And it's not because of a smartphone.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Here is a list of threads started by wirelessmacuser

They are unremittingly negative.

twoll_hunter.jpg

Your link didn't work for me, so I did my own search and you are right.

*wirelessmacuser* is a Troll.

Probably never owned/used an Apple Product.

Probably cannot afford them! :D

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth

I'm buying one.

I agree, it's because of people like me that speak the truth, and push for accountability from the company we believe in, that will help Apple. When you have faith in a company, you stick with them through the hard times. I've never said I don't like my iPhone 4. I've simply mentioned the problems. The gift of the truth is often more than some people can bear. I care about Apple, and I'm in it for the long haul.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.