Pretty Bad Genius Bar Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by forcetactic, Sep 30, 2010.

1. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4 with no phone :p (so I use it as an ipod touch). My battery life has been horrible. I have been getting 2 hours 14 min with 34% on 50% auto, 3 apps with push (boxcar, facebook, meebo), no 3g (no phone), location on, bt off, wifi on when at dorm, email set to manual, no skype. Fyi I discharged my battery about a day or two ago.

I went to apple store today and the genius takes a look at my battery diagnostics. It shows the stats I've listed above. He claims that is "perfectly normal" for an iPhone and tells me that my 3 pushing apps are what is draining my battery. Keep in mind I don't even connect to a cell tower so my battery should be better than most iPhones. After I kept on trying to explain the situation, he keeps on giving me excuses after excuses and finally asks what I want.

I state I want to replace my iPhone and he says he's not supposed to do it but if I wanted to, he would replace it "1 time exception." When I get my replacement, I tell him to stay there as I restore the phone to make sure my deactivated sim could still activate the new device. He simply states with a bad attitude that once I took my replacement, I couldn't switch it back for my old phone in case it wasn't working. Luckily my deactivated sim could activate the device.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb59/shdwpally/photo.png

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Sounds like a pretty good experience to me.

You got what you wanted.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Sounds like the genius gave you an answer you didn't like. then they swap out the phone and you ask them to wait to until the phone was active.
    Sounds like one party was very accommodating while one was unappreciative of the provided service.

4. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Agreed. And I even have negative bias towards stuck up genius bar employees

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

What a douche of a genius employee. First he has the audacity to run diagnostics on your phone to determined the problem, then you ask him for a replacement, and he gives it to you, but were he really crossed the line was when you asked him to wait wile it activates, and he has the nerves to wait with you. I can't stand people like that, always trying to help others.

What is this would coming to.

I for one wouldn't stand for such excellent customer service and if I were you I would call the better business bureau, put an end to this.

7. forcetactic thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed with the first part. I personally didn't think 2 hours 14 min @ 34% was normal battery life. Perhaps I didn't phrase my second part well enough since I was pretty angry when I wrote it. I asked if he could wait while I activated my phone with a deactivated sim to see if it would work. I did not demand that he do so.

8. Adisah macrumors regular

Try going a day without the background apps running and see if he's right.

9. siufai macrumors member

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, seriously. The OP doesn’t want to listen to the Genius, and he insists on getting a new phone for a phone that may have been okay (since he wouldn’t listen, we’ll never know….hell he didn’t even restore the phone), and he gets a new phone, which is pretty unheard of.

11. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Nothing wrong with the battery, you use it only as an ipod touch so I assume you are playing a lot of 3D heavy games.

12. forcetactic thread starter macrumors 6502

Please don't assume things you don't know about me. I've restored as new more than 5 times throughout this month. I had a previous genius bar who advised me to restore so I listened to his advice and restored as new constantly for a month to test it.

I've done notifications both on and off and it does not affect my battery performance significantly.

I've seen many people on these forums that get their phone exchanged for bad battery. It is not "unheard" of.

I forgot to specify that. All I have done on the phone is light webbrowsing with science articles and macrumors. I do have one game on it which I have not played on it. No facetime, no videos.

15-20 hours usually

13. madKIR macrumors 6502

The battery is bad!
    I have about 7-8 hours of heavy usage.

14. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

OP your head is so far up you *ass you can't even recognize the blatant sarcasm in this thread

you got excellent service, the tech went above and beyond by letting you use an inactivated aim card to activate the phone

I hope someone pees in your latte

15. forcetactic thread starter macrumors 6502

I have not taken any sarcastic replies as compliments in this thread. Using personal attacks only weakens your argument.
    What I find funny is YOU telling me the service I received. YOU were not there, YOU did not see anything; all you have is a retelling that I gave.

Yes, I did receive a new phone. Yes, I am VERY grateful for that. No, I am not impressed with their service considering the difficulty I had in obtaining a replacement and the attitude the genius was giving me.

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No we weren't there, so our opinions are based on the information you have giving us, which is lackluster, to say the least. Getting mad a someone for assuming you didn't restore your phone is a failure on your part for not clarifying in advance that you did.

We weren't their, so you have to do your best to paint a picture to the reader with as much information as possible to allow us to form an accurate opinion of the situation.

Your title says "Pretty Bad Genius Experience", but your story fails to portray what the title states.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sell the iPhone and get an iPod touch. :rolleyes:

Apple has the highest customer satisfaction for a reason. Take your FUD elsewhere.

18. forcetactic thread starter macrumors 6502

FYI, the only time I was angry was when I wrote my post. With that said, yep my bad for not clarifying in advance. It is still not good to assume things, especially blind assumptions like the fact that I have not restored my iPhone.

I think throughout all my posts, I have pretty much summed up my situation. I have an iPhone with a terrible battery life. I have tried pretty much everything to boost the battery life with no success. I went to my 2nd genius bar appointment and had difficulty obtaining a replacement paired with a bad attitude. We were both biased with our opinons. Me, insisting it was a battery problem while the genius insisting it was software. I formed this bias after the first genius bar appointment when I listened to their advice and used all the battery saving techniques I knew.

I'll have to quote "correlation does not imply causation" here.

19. warrmr macrumors regular

I have had a phone repalced at the apple store and they go throgh certain procedures to verify the fault before they replace it.

Then they ask you a bunch of questions like

Have you backed up? yes
    Are you sure ? Yes
    Are you really sure ? yes
    Im going to wipe your phone and you will loose everything is that ok? yes
    enter you pin please ! Thankyou.

Here is your new iPhone sir have a good day any problems come back and see me.
    Cheeryo.

He activated and put the sim from my old phone in the new one as a matter of course.

If you go in demanding things then you wont get very far. but if you are understanding that they see hundereds of people per day and some of them are annoying trolls. then the polite people make there day and they are willing to go furthur.

Edit: I always play dumb and say I am having this kind of problem and let the genius diganose the issue.

eg 80gb ipod the HDD was on its way out. i told the genius it was crasshing and making a funny clicking noise. Not that the hdd is broke and i want a new one.

20. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

21. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

22. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

To give the OP the benefit of the doubt the "genius" probably had a bad attitude. Granted he still did his job but if for example someone's rolling his eyes at you while you explain your problem to them you'll still be pretty miffed.

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

@OP: it's "unheard of" if the Genius says your battery is fine. That was my point.

24. forcetactic thread starter macrumors 6502

Again so many assumptions in this thread. I argued with him but I never roll my eyes. If there is something wrong with the product, it is up to Apple to replace it if it's under warranty. I did not shell out $200 + 2 year contract for a defective product.

And I should not have to limit myself aka turn everything to lowest setting and still get a bit better subpar battery life.

@Aggie. I've already explained above why I did not agree with the genius's decision.

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, you shouldn't have to turn everything to it's lowest setting. You might have to mess with push, but that should be it.

Here's how your OP came across: Tbe Genius told me to do certain things, since he considered my battery to be normal. I refused, got upset, and the Genius gave me a new phone anyway.

With your additional info after the OP. obviously there was more to it and the Genius was wrong. Can you see why people might think less of your OP with the info originally given?

At any rate, it couldn't have been horrible or you wouldn't have got a new phone.