Pretty sure neighbor kid stole my Ipod. Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by athomp, Aug 30, 2012.

1. athomp macrumors newbie

So as the title says, pretty sure he took it. I'm kinda in a pickle though because the " find my.." app was never activated. It had never been synced with my itunes. (2nd owner). The only thing I got is that its registered under my name on my apple account. And I also believe that it has been factory reset. Other than the registation, is there any other info that I can pull from it to verify its mine. Example: I know he has/is using my wifi with it, so I know the device's MAC address. Is there a way the see how many devices have had my apple account info signed in on to access the app store for downloads? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! Its a sicking coincidence that my Ipod went missing about a week ago, and he recently got one from his "buddy" roughly a week ago, same gb's and all.

2. djharris macrumors member

A low-tech solution may be the best in this situation. Do you have the serial number on your iPod? Maybe you can ask the parents to see if their child has the same one.

It may help if you can claim you lost it, but it has been active on your wireless network recently. That way you have some sort of evidence to back up your assertion, rather than just blindly accusing their child of stealing your ipod.

There's also the possibility he found it somewhere and doesn't know it's yours, so it may not even be a willful act on the part of the child.

Good luck!

EDIT: maybe they can match up the MAC address if you don't have the serial, since you do have that info.

3. athomp, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

athomp thread starter macrumors newbie

"kid'

I should correct something, the " kid" in question is actually a later teen/20 yr old dude. My boyfriend and I actually went over the dudes house and I actually held the ipod in question in my hand and recorded the serial #. The neighbor also had his buddy there he said he got it from to vouch for his story. According to the friend said he bought this 32gb Ipod touch from Walmart for around $200 last year. Correct me if I'm wrong but did I miss out on a hell of a sale at walmart last year? By the way, before he ripped us off, he did entertain us with some stories of his past thievery and the fact he has a record of theft. With having just the registration online, should that be enough for law enforcement to do anything about it? *I can pull up my apple support profile that has the ipod registered my profile with the serial number shown.

4. faroZ06, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

The suspect's story sounds like total BS. Not sure if I understood you correctly, but did you have perfect proof that it is yours? Same serial number? If so, just ask for it back, say that the serial numbers match up, then call the police if he does not comply.

If you find a good chance and are sure that it's yours, you could also steal it back and immediately wipe it. Two wrongs make a right :D

5. staeit macrumors member

Don't think so.
    Why are you even including the crap about his story that he made up. Anyways, you don't really have proof since even though the device is registered to your account, it could be argued that he just purchased it off of you.

6. davidoloan macrumors 6502

This legal advice is worth what you paid for it.

7. Che Castro macrumors 603

8. 617aircav Suspended

He can claim that you sold, gave it to him and the police can't do jack. It's your word against his.

9. 7thson, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Unless you live in Mayberry and are on good terms with Sheriff Griffith(yeah, I know, I'm dating myself), I am skeptical that any local law enforcement is going to invest too much time in your problem. Go ahead and file a police report anyway and let them know that there's a recidivist thief next door. Maybe this "kid" hasn't limited his sticky fingers to your stuff and he'll get caught and have his place searched. If the cops have the serial # of said ipod, then you can reclaim it by having filed a report of it being stolen. Jack Handy had some advice about dealing with someone that you're really upset with. It involves sticking a chef's knife in a pumpkin with a note attached that reads, "This could be you", and placing it on his doorstep. I'm not suggesting you do this. Maybe just visualize it and see if it brings you any comfort. If you do decide to do this, just pass it off as enthusiasm for Halloween. Everybody loves a good joke around Halloween.

10. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

You are the second owner of the iPod Touch. You registered it with Apple, but do you know the serial number?

This doesn't have to go to the police, and whether he claims you sold it to him is a proper alibi is about 5 steps beyond at this point.

If you knew your serial number before and verified that the kid's iPod is the same serial and indeed your iPod, you should have confronted him right then. Ideally you would have some documentation stating that you had registered this iPod, or at the minimum recorded the serial number on a piece of paper so you could pull it out right then and show them- "This is my iPod."

But if you didn't know your iPod serial number, then what you've found out has accomplished nothing so far.

The problem with recording his serial number, and then afterwards confirming that it matches your serial number, is that the kid can go, "Hey, that's not proof- you just came over to get my serial number, and then are now claiming it's yours." OTOH if you can print out some sort of documentation or something, then you can have that to show the date of your iPod registration.

If the iPod is stolen, you should be able to resolve it with either the kid or his parents. You show them the proof, and then you tell them, "I don't want to get the police involved, all I want is my iPod Touch back."

But you need your original serial number. All the other stuff about matching MAC addresses and iTunes Store logins is unnecessarily circuitous.

----------

Actually, he already said he bought it from Walmart right? If he suddenly has to start changing stories, its going to certainly cast doubt on his word.

12. staeit macrumors member

OP's post was a little hard to follow, but yes, he knew the serial, and it was registered to his account. However, again, this doesn't mean much.

As an example, my wife has a refurbished iPhone 4S 32GB purchased from Telus ($400 :D) We have a receipt showing proof of ownership. However, the serial was registered to another person's account, so it can't be registered to hers. Registration of the serial to one's account is not sufficient proof of ownership. I get what your line of thinking is, but knowing the serial, even before the OP examined it, means absolutely nothing.

13. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

You're right- it doesn't. I've bought plenty of iOS products secondhand and gone ahead and registered them myself.

But if I knew the serial number before, and was planning on going to the neighbor's and ask to inspect the iPod, I would have written it down beforehand so I could call them on it right there on the spot.

I mean yeah its possible the neighbor will go ahead and still tell them to piss off. But that would seem like the best immediate way to try to get the iPod back. Especially if it's the neighbor's son, and his parents were there at the time.

The kid claimed to have bought it at Walmart, that's impossible if the serial numbers matched. If he had claimed he bought it on say Craigslist, then he could have argued that maybe the guy he bought it from stole it, but he had no way of knowing at the time so it's not really his fault.

14. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

So you didn't clarify... did the serial numbers match?

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Going to be hard to argue since both sides have people to vouch for them...but...if he wasn't smart enough to factory reset it and if you do get the chance to check on the ipod touch again, and your wifi is still connected, you may have an advantage. Still, it's still a bunch of "if's". :/

16. coolguy879 macrumors member

17. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

If you synced it with iTunes, the serial number is there.

18. macman312 macrumors 6502

go to supportprofile.apple.com

Check if it is still registered under your name.

If so print it out and take a screenshot to have proof later.

If the serial numbers match then it is yours and go and get it.

19. extensor macrumors member

extensor

This. It isn't worth the hassle. I recently had mine stolen and I know who stole it but I didn't record the serial number. Live and learn.

20. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

That's the problem with this country. Criminals get off scott-free nowadays. Going a bit extreme here, but it's like that CO shooter, what are they trying to prove? He did and needs to pay. We treat our criminals better than our homeless. :rolleyes:

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but it's just a pet peeve of mine when people say let it go. How many times do you have to let go of crimes against us? I know it's a relatively minor thing in this case, but where do we draw the line? This isn't an attack on the two of you necessarily, so don't take it personally.

Back on topic: I say if you have proof that it's yours, go take care of business.

21. barredfreak macrumors 6502

Kick his ass and teach him a lesson.

... and record it with the iPod.

22. coolguy879 macrumors member

It's just an iPod, not a murder!

23. cytomatrix macrumors member

So stealing ipods is ok? If yes, please tell me where you live. My son could use an ipod.

24. justinmancini macrumors newbie

Unless he could provide proof that it was sold to him, you're fully incorrect.