Preventing ATT from detecting iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apatel87, Jul 7, 2011.

1. apatel87 macrumors regular

Hi I am sure that some of you are going to get angry because you are loyal to ATT but I recently signed up for a family plan with ATT that consisted of 3 iPhone plans and one regular plan. Since my iPhone was an upgrade I was goign to let my mom use the old iPhone since she didn't want data and really just wanted to use it as an iPod.
    However as most of you know, using an iPhone without a data plan on the ATT network will just cause them to tack on a data plan. Is there anyway to bypass that? I shut off all cellular data on the iPhone.
    Do I need to jailbreak and unlock the phone? I heard that that doesn't always do it. Any suggestions. Thanks a lot for the help.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

Pay-as-you-go SIM card. No data plan needed, but no data possible except over WiFi.

If you want data, you can buy it incrementally on the PAYG account.

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If you want to use AT&T postpaid, they will add a data plan. There isn't a way around this AFAIK.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can turn off whatever you want on your iPhone, but AT&T will still know that you are using an iPhone. The system automatically detects what kind of device is connecting to the network when it connects.

5. apatel87 thread starter macrumors regular

So my mom's line is a regular non-smart phone line. (The phone we got from ATT was a Samsung Solstice). So basically you are saying that no matter what, if I take her nonsmart phone sim card and put it in the old iPhone, even though that iPhone as fully been paid for, I will get charged the data plan fee?

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Yup. Sorry, but if you want to use an iPhone on AT&T's network, you must have a data plan.

7. PapaStu macrumors member

PapaStu

Yes you will need a data plan if you are using the iPhone.

As stated on the AT&T site regarding iPhones

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Best option, buy an iPod touch.

or this.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If all she's going to use it for is an iPod, sell the iPhone on Craigslist and buy her an iPod Touch. You'll probably be able to up the storage capacity and still pocket some money in the process.

11. apatel87 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea she was only going to use it as an iPod but doesn't like carrying her phone and the iphone around. She wants to device which I guess is the appeal of the iPhone. I was just hoping that since she doesn't use data and since I had already paid for the iPhone with my previous two year contract that it would be fine. I guess I have no choice except for her to have two separate devices or just to get on the data plan.

12. Cchs227 macrumors newbie

Truthfully,
    I've had my iPhone 3GS since launch and I've got the data plan removed a few months ago by switching to a nonsmartphone. I then, switched back to my iPhone 3GS, and they still haven't noticed. Trust me. You'll be fine. All the people on here have probably never tried it without a data plan. I have. It works. If you want to be on the even safer side, have a total data BLOCK put on the account. But, pic messages won't be able to come through.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, AT&T will detect what phone you're using to acesss their network.
    Only option to avoid the data plan is prepaid AT&T sims or use it on Tmobile.
    No other way around it.

They havent noticed yet.
    Sooner or later they will.
    He might be fine for a few weeks or months but they eventually will catch on

14. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Get a GoPhone SIM and use that. My sister does this with an iPhone and AT&T hasn't put a data plan on it yet, been a long while now.

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

AT&T's policy on pay as you go is vastly different from the post-paid.
    Unless something changes, your sister will never have a data plan forced on her.

16. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i had my 3g without data plan and 3gs without... but it was a pain with my 3gs because they kept adding a data plan so i was happy when they announced the cheaper data plan with the i4

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It would just be easier and more useful if you added a data plan (for both you and your mother).

18. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

It's quite easy really. Just don't use the phone.

I have no idea why people think they can outsmart the carriers that provide the service.

Don't want to pay for data? Dont use a smartphone of any type.

19. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

It just boggles me that if your contract is over and you do not want/need data why ATT still sticks it to you. If you have your phone paid off and data shut off, what's it to them? (I know....$$$)

20. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Unfortunately for you, you cannot use the phone sans data plan, unless you intend on going pre-paid.

Honestly, I would never consider using an iPhone without a data plan anyway. I just love having the ability to stream a video if I'm bored or surf the net to prove something is true or look up random stuff.

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

AFAIK this only works in the 3G (which is the way my gf is currently rocking it), but you're correct regardless.

22. Daniel L macrumors 6502

This is true. My mom was using my old iPhone for over a year without a data plan tacked on.

23. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

unless AT&T's iphone detection became less zealous recently, otherwise eventually one day they will give you a data plan, and send you a text message about it.

I did it once.