Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mswengel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2022
Hey all!

I have a 14-inch MBP that I like, but I've noticed that some areas of the keyboard have already started to show some shininess - even with diligent cleaning.

I know Apple doesn't recommend keyboard covers for MacBooks, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried decals/stickers on keys to help protect them from wear? I have a keyboard cover that I don't like to use for fear of damaging the screen, and I'm wondering if really thin vinyl decals or stickers might work to help keep the keys in good shape for a longer period?

Has anyone tried this route, and if so what stickers/decals do you recommend?

Reactions: jr5x

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I didn't know keyboard stickers were even a thing... Now I'm shopping. This looks perfect! 🤣
-
5131a459361498dfe6d4a7c7f101d244--keyboard-stickers-macbook-stickers.jpg

newmacxc

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2022
I have been using a silicon keyboard cover since last 4 years on my MacBook Pro 13" 2018 touchbar and have no issues till date.

Reactions: TMax

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I have been using a silicon keyboard cover since last 4 years on my MacBook Pro 13" 2018 touchbar and have no issues till date.
It may have to do with oily skin or people having oils from food on their fingers. I've seen a car where the buttons on the steering wheel where completely eaten away by oils from fast food.

Reactions: Marsikus and TMax

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Its more due to keys wearing off due to friction while typing. Like if you rub a matte surface constantly it becomes glossy due to wear.
Correct. Apple uses ABS plastic for the keys which wear down rather quickly. If you use it a lot, they will get shiny in a few months. PBT, which is more resistant against this, cannot be made in the thinness that apple needs for their ultra thin laptops. ABS keycaps are also cheaper to manufacture.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Correct. Apple uses ABS plastic for the keys which wear down rather quickly. If you use it a lot, they will get shiny in a few months. PBT, which is more resistant against this, cannot be made in the thinness that apple needs for their ultra thin laptops. ABS keycaps are also cheaper to manufacture.
This is interesting information. Do you know if ABS will degrade if you get grease from french fries for example on it? I keep thinking of those steering wheel buttons where the plastic was just falling apart. I’m not using my MacBook while my hands are covered in chicken grease but I do occasionally snack on a french fry or two while I’m using it 😂

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
This is interesting information. Do you know if ABS will degrade if you get grease from french fries for example on it? I keep thinking of those steering wheel buttons where the plastic was just falling apart. I’m not using my MacBook while my hands are covered in chicken grease but I do occasionally snack on a french fry or two while I’m using it 😂
Not that I'm aware of. ABS is quite resistant against most chemicals (except Acetone). you can clean the keys with soap or IPA. I prefer IPA as it evaporate quickly and there is almost 0 chance it gets into the machine. Even if it does, it evaporates in seconds and is also (pretty much) non-conductive.
Grease will not break down the ABS.. it will just add more shine to it due to the grease. But this is non-permanent in contrast to the wear which is irreversible.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Not that I'm aware of. ABS is quite resistant against most chemicals (except Acetone). you can clean the keys with soap or IPA. I prefer IPA as it evaporate quickly and there is almost 0 chance it gets into the machine. Even if it does, it evaporates in seconds and is also (pretty much) non-conductive.
Grease will not break down the ABS.. it will just add more shine to it due to the grease. But this is non-permanent in contrast to the wear which is irreversible.
OK now I feel a little bit better about snacking on fries while on my MacBook. My hands don’t aren’t covered with grease or anything but I’m sure it’s on there. I really try to make sure no crumbs or it anything like that get on the keyboard. Maybe I’m a little OCD but I just don’t like a dirty keyboard.

I’ve seen articles saying use isopropyl alcohol for screen cleaning but that seems really sketchy especially with how Apple put some sort of antireflective coating on their screens. I’m sure it would be perfect for the keyboard though. Do you just use a cotton ball damp with it?

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
I just use a regular microfibres cloth (not a glass cleaning cloth, the thicker ones from the household department) put some IPA onto it and wipe down the keyboard. IPA is not a problem for Alu and also not for ABS. But your laptop should be cooled down or thr IPA will evaporate too fast and will barely have any effect.
Remember to use pure IPA. Not rubbing alcohol.

As for the screen: you can use IPA but dilute it with water (50:50). I always used it pure and never had issues with the anti glare on my older MacBooks but most people recommend to dilute it.
I wouldn’t use rubbing alcohol as it contains additives which are good for your skin but so useful for cleaning devices.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
the only solution is using an external keyboard. these keycaps are super cheap to keep costs down.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I just use a regular microfibres cloth (not a glass cleaning cloth, the thicker ones from the household department) put some IPA onto it and wipe down the keyboard. IPA is not a problem for Alu and also not for ABS. But your laptop should be cooled down or thr IPA will evaporate too fast and will barely have any effect.
Remember to use pure IPA. Not rubbing alcohol.

As for the screen: you can use IPA but dilute it with water (50:50). I always used it pure and never had issues with the anti glare on my older MacBooks but most people recommend to dilute it.
I wouldn’t use rubbing alcohol as it contains additives which are good for your skin but so useful for cleaning devices.
I have what’s labeled “91% isopropyl alcohol” I got from Walmart. On the bottle it says active ingredient isopropyl alcohol and inactive ingredient water but doesn’t say if it has anything else. I’ve seen higher percentage sold online as medical or lab grade.

I bought a microfiber cloth from the automotive section so I guess that’s good. Maybe I could get something from Amazon that’s better. I’ve heard the biggest thing is make sure it’s clean and not dry because if you drag particles across the screen it could scratch it.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Use it long enough and you won't care anymore... that's my reality...... I slowly go from "trying to keep it spotless" to "who cares".... in a year or two is the normal cycle.
This is usually what I do. I don’t trash it or be rough with it because I’m still very careful with it but if it gets a minor blemish I don’t lose my mind like some people.

Reactions: Queen6

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
This is usually what I do. I don’t trash it or be rough with it because I’m still very careful with it but if it gets a minor blemish I don’t lose my mind like some people.
Same. Although I moved away from macs for now, it’s the same with my new machine. At first I try to keep it clean and then I just see it as what it is: a tool. A device of (literally) daily use.

Of course it will have wear. That’s inevitable. So I started to accept that and don’t get mad about it. The only thing I always want clean is the screen because dirt on it is always visible and „in your face“.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Same. Although I moved away from macs for now, it’s the same with my new machine. At first I try to keep it clean and then I just see it as what it is: a tool. A device of (literally) daily use.

Of course it will have wear. That’s inevitable. So I started to accept that and don’t get mad about it. The only thing I always want clean is the screen because dirt on it is always visible and „in your face“.
Well I have my Mac and my gaming PC so for me it's about what works best for what I'm doing. I'm not loyal to any brand. I think the only way to keep it new looking is to leave it in the box.

I understand how you feel about the screen. I can't do smudges on the screen. This is why I would never get a touch screen laptop. For some reason I'm okay with it on an iPad but on a laptop or even desktop screen it drives me insane. Even when people go to point out something on the screen and they put their finger close I'm thinking back off 🤣

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The shiny keys are a result of normal usage.
You probably can't prevent it.

As others have said, fooling with the keys to prevent "shine" may be more trouble than it's worth.

Reactions: Queen6

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I use a Das Keyboards, one on my Windows machine and one on my Mac. The keys that are pressed most often are much more shiny than others. Over the years I've just come to expect shiny keys on all keyboards that I use. I would find key covers more unpleasant to look at than the shiny keys.

But, I hope you find key covers you like.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Kind of off topic, but I still catch myself worrying about specks of dust getting in my keys and causing one or more of them to malfunction, so I do shoot a little canned air on them now and then. I wonder how long it's going to take me to forget the trauma of those butterfly switches. 😀

Queen6

macrumors G4
Over the years seems variable to me. 2015 Retina MacBook, keys polished up in less than 6 months :(
IMG_20220903_011911.jpg
IMG_20220903_012009.jpg

Other end of the desk 2011 15" MBP keys are in great shape for an 11 year old notebook. 2014 MBP similar story to the MacBook, polishing took about 12-18 months. Rest of the Mac's have gone, think the 15" Retina MBP faired well and so far the M1 MBP is holding up after one year.

It's not oil from the fingers the the keys are literally polished by the usage. I don't like it, but it's a factor of use. That said the polishing can be significantly reduced as my 2011 illustrates. Currently it's the oldest Mac I have with the most use, yet the keys show very little in the way of wear & tear.

The notebooks are far from new and seen a lot use, so doesn't trigger me. Think Apple should work at it more as it does spoil the aesthetic and certainly shouldn't occur in the notebooks early life...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: Falhófnir
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.