Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Is anyone else a bit disappointed with the difference in price between the 11” and 13” models?

The Air is a £200 upgrade to get the larger screen, and the Pro is a £300 difference. Surely the increase in costs for apple are nowhere near this? If you assume a profit margin of c.40% then this implies the larger screens cost apple £120/£180 more, respectively for Air/Pro - which seems crazy.

The 15” M3 Macbook Air was able to justify the £200 price difference as it also included the non-binned GPU (worth £100). I was hoping that we might see a similar story with the iPads where the binned chips would be standard in 11” models, and going to the 13” would get you the non-binned chip and larger screen for £200. Sadly that’s not the case - and we have to spend £1,899 to get a fully working CPU and 16GB RAM.

I get that on the Pro models the screens are awesome and expensive, but £999 and £1,299 seems like a massive difference for an extra 2 inches. It feels like they’re using some extra margins on the 13” to subsidise the £999 cost of the 11” maybe? I worry that we’re getting into the same place on screen sizes as we are on RAM/storage where we’re ripped off at the higher end.

Good to get peoples thoughts!

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
You shouldn't presume margins. It's all way more complicated than you think and you can't just take just the production cost of a larger screen and say that that's the only thing that changes for Apple.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
You shouldn't presume margins. It's all way more complicated than you think and you can't just take just the production cost of a larger screen and say that that's the only thing that changes for Apple.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear - I agree with you that there’s a lot more going on, but was trying to give an example which illustrates the point. In reality theres a bigger battery, more aluminium etc - but even allowing for those, the numbers still seem high to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.