Price drop after MWSF


jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
The only way there'll be a price drop is if Apple changes the PBs in some way. They won't just drop the price. Also, unlike the iBooks, I'd assume they'd keep PB prices relatively constant (like the PMs) but add features or improve the specs.

And, no, I expect no G5 PBs, nor even dual-core G4's, but possibly better screens, disks, etc. Maybe. I suspect there will be no mention of new PBs, although of course I hope that there will be.
 

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
254
0
]KLGA[
If anything new will be introduced the new range will keep its price .. don't forget that the last 2 revisions saw a price drop [ first one a real $100 .. the next one with standard AE and BT ] ..
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
jsw said:
More specifically: anyone who knows will not tell you. Therefore, anything you hear will be from someone who does not know.
Ok, Ok :p You're right. Same end result though, no one here can tell you squat. So don't bother asking! :eek:
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
But it is soooo much fun to start the 100th thread on this topic :eek:

There needs to be a suicide emoticon to convey the thoughts of this topic. It is around so much.

If you do not need one TODAY, just wait a couple more days and buy whichever version is out that you like then. Until then, nothing is going to change and nobody knows anything concrete....at least not that they are sharring.
 

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
652
0
California
While I support the posts saying Cavemann shouldn't post redundant topics, it's not like this post is so awful. Everyone saying "We don't know" is really stating the obvious and overlooking the purpose of the entire MacRumors website - to speculate about Apple related stuff. Tons of threads are started about things we don't know, not knowing is what brings us to this website, and speculating is what we do. In conclusion - Cavemann, search the forums first, the rest of you, of course we don't know, so it's really unnecessary to put forth that point in the manner in which it was put forth.
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,889
25
Northern Virginia
Keep in mind that many don't wade past the first few pages on the "headless Mac" thread. Or if they do and respond, the notification may drop you a page or two further than you think.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
If history is any gage, Apple doesn't often lower prices on a CPU. Apple usually offers us increased performance instead.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
wdlove said:
If history is any gage, Apple doesn't often lower prices on a CPU. Apple usually offers us increased performance instead.
Maybe, but it's hard when they can't do that (no dual-core G4's, and no G5's that we know of are ready for laptops).
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
edesignuk said:
Maybe, but it's hard when they can't do that (no dual-core G4's, and no G5's that we know of are ready for laptops).
True, but they could upgrade the drives easily and move up to screen resolutions that the PC world has been enjoying for years.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
jsw said:
True, but they could upgrade the drives easily and move up to screen resolutions that the PC world has been enjoying for years.
Yes, that'd be great and all, but it doesn't mean s*** without a decent CPU upgrade though.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
edesignuk said:
That's awesome edesignuk. The only problem with doing a search is that you have to use the exact same wording as your searched item. I have found it to be frustrating at times.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
wdlove said:
That's awesome edesignuk. The only problem with doing a search is that you have to use the exact same wording as your searched item. I have found it to be frustrating at times.
Yeah, the search isn't the best in the world. But it works well enough when ever I use it :D
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,819
41
Andover, MA
edesignuk said:
Yes, that'd be great and all, but it doesn't mean s*** without a decent CPU upgrade though.
I guess we disagree - if I could have a PB with a 7200RPM hard drive and a 1920x1200 screen (like my 2 year old Dell work laptop), I would happily live with the CPU speed. Crappy drive speeds and - especially - horrible screen resolutions are what keep me from buying one.

Well, that and the lack of available funding.

But still, if I could get a 15" PB with either a 1920x1200 screen, 7200 RPM drive, and 1.5GHz G4 or a 15" PB with a 2GHz G4 and the current screen and drive, I'd opt for the former without a second thought.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
jsw said:
I guess we disagree - if I could have a PB with a 7200RPM hard drive and a 1920x1200 screen (like my 2 year old Dell work laptop), I would happily live with the CPU speed. Crappy drive speeds and - especially - horrible screen resolutions are what keep me from buying one.

Well, that and the lack of available funding.

But still, if I could get a 15" PB with either a 1920x1200 screen, 7200 RPM drive, and 1.5GHz G4 or a 15" PB with a 2GHz G4 and the current screen and drive, I'd opt for the former without a second thought.
I don't disagree. Higher screen res is badly needed for pro laptops, as is faster hard drives, but as well as those things (that have been smissing for a long time anyway :rolleyes: ), faster CPU's are needed. You can't say you have released a new PB, without giving it a faster CPU.