Price drop? Should I return my new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gusanitoverde, Feb 24, 2011.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I just went to Best Buy and purchased a open item looking for a little of a price drop. (I am in a very tight budget) However, we all learned yesterday about the announcement on the iPad 2 on March 2. Considering the trends of sales after Apple announcements, should I return my iPad now expecting a price drop on the 2nd of March? Or should I keep my $520.00 (after taxes) iPad?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
    :):apple:

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

How long do you have to return your iPad to Best Buy? If you can return it after 3/2, then I wouldn't do anything until the announcement has been made.

3. nStyle macrumors 6502a

$520 for the 32GB?

I say return...especially if it was the display model.

4. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

If anything, i imagine we'll see a price increase, going by todays macbook pro update.

5. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I bought it on Sunday. I think by Wed the 2nd I will have barely 10 days out of the 14 allowed. As soon as I would see a price drop I would return it, but the problem is that I fear that Best buy will refuse to return to me the full amount paid because of the price drop.

The ipad is a 16 GB Wifi and was $475 open item, possibly a display model, now that you guys mention it. with taxes came about $520.

I rather wait until the 2nd, however, if Best Buy does drop the price and refuses to give back all my money, I will be pretty upset.

What do you all think?

6. gadgetmonster macrumors regular

return it...refurbs are $429, free shipping from apple.

7. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Most probably prices won't go up..

Just return it, you won't regret. When 2nd gen is released I'm hoping they'll offer first gen for a cheaper price. That means you can get 1st gen iPad (brand new) for even less. Or you can go ahead with the new 2nd gen...

8. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Yea $25 off is a horrible deal (no offense)

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's not a deal.

10. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

You guys are absolutely right.

I just hope that by returning it today I will not get stuck for weeks trying to get another one at lower price.

It is my first iPad and I am indeed in love with it.

One thing to consider is that while Apple is to "announce" the iPad 2 that does not imply immediate release, it may not imply immediate price drop. What do you think? It might take a while until I can get a brand new iPad for a reduced price.

11. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

I'm expecting an April release. I don't think they'll drop the prices when they announce..highly unlikely

12. Rico1701 macrumors newbie

I say keep it...you love it and do you really want to wait for a new one just to save a few bucks.

13. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

The one he has in an open box item. After iPad 2 release he can get a brand new for a little less. Or for just $25 more he can get BRAND NEW iPad 2. It completely makes sense.

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

You can go to the Apple Store online this second and get the same iPad for $429 or the 32GB for $499. That shouldn't change any in the next week or two. In short, you have nothing to lose in waiting for the March 2 announcement at which time you'll be able to make a more informed decision. In any case, a $25 discount on an open-box iPad is no bargain, especially if the clock has been ticking on the original warranty.

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If it were refurbished, youd still have a decent deal, but not if it was an open box display model. Think about all those people using it in the store.

16. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

17. baummer macrumors 6502a

Return it. I disagree about price increases, I think there will be a price decrease. Perhaps not across all configurations, but I expect some adjusted pricing. The past few years have seen price drops with second generation products.

18. eaweber1 macrumors newbie

eaweber1

read your receipt. best buy has to give you the full amount you paid back if you return it within the return period. is this the first thing you have ever bought from a retailer?

19. xMBPx macrumors regular

I'm surprised by that price drop from BB ... Normally their open item discount is pretty good. I had a sony HD video camera from BB, saw it at another BB for $100 off because it was open item, and returned the other one.

The open item was in great condition, the non-replaceable sticker hadn't even been taken off the screen or lens yet.

20. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I don't mean to be dishonoring to Best Buy, but my ipad came with a nice scratch in the back and a lack of USB charger. The BB employee wanted to give me a 3rd party cord instead of the original one. (which I have purchased one like this 3rd party at ROSS years ago and it broke and shorted eventually) I had to literally fight with the employee and the manager to get an original one. That was only because someone was returning another ipad at the same time I was claiming the USB cord. I asked the manager to open that other box and give me the cord. So she did.:(

21. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Bring it back. March 2nd announcement AND release. Read some where that Apple has 6 million iPad 2s ready to roll.

22. Syk macrumors 6502a

Return it like others said. Open box unit, scratched etc. You can get a refurb for less and warranty.

The ipad2 coming doesn't matter in this situation IMO. You didn't get a good deal and as long as they let you bring it back. I'd be out the door getting my money back. Then I'd decide if I wanted to go a head and by an iPad2 or just buy a refurb.

23. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

It shall be done!

I will keep you posted.

Thanks Macrumors friends!:D

24. gusanitoverde thread starter macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde