Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chucknorris1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
500$ for new Time Capsule 1 TB is "screwing the buyers".

Airport Extreme & usb-attached external 1 TB HardDrive cost 250 $, and have exactly the same functionality.

so i ask - why does anyone pay 250 $ more for just having two devices in one enclosure? i don't get it !

chucknorris1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
I think he's ranting just to be ranting. You can get what he's talking about for cheaper but not at the price he's stating.

Airport Extreme 150 $, external 1 TB Harddrive 100$. Both prices are available in online shops. so what, now?

Just want to rant , that's right , why not?:p

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Airport Extreme 150 $, external 1 TB Harddrive 100$. Both prices are available in online shops. so what, now?

Just want to rant , that's right , why not?:p

The AirPort Extreme is priced at $179 (which is what most people will pay) while the price is $159 for the Education store. I haven't run in to too many 1TB for $100 but if you're able to get it all for $250, then go ahead, I wouldn't blame you. I wish I could.

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
how is this new? if you wanted to rant, shouldnt you have ranted when the time capsules first came out?

there has always been a huge price difference in the time capsule to the airport extreme + external drive solution.

a bit late to the party i think?

chucknorris1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
how is this new? if you wanted to rant, shouldnt you have ranted when the time capsules first came out?

there has always been a huge price difference in the time capsule to the airport extreme + external drive solution.

a bit late to the party i think?

no, when TC was new:

1. 1 TB were much more expensive.
2. it was new, which also is always worth some $

now prices for hardrives have fallen, and it's old technology. so now, it's even more time to rant than before.

chucknorris1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
By the way, on eBay TC 1 TB are being sold for about 360 $ (NEW!) in auctions, which is closer to its real value. most apple products have way higher auction prices on ebay.

after all, eBay auction prices are often "real-worth-prices".

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
It never surprises me how quick people are to be negative about questioning some of the pricing. Feel free to do some research. check out dealmac/dealnews for daily storage pricing. It's not hard to fnd an external USB 1TB drive for $100 or less these days (yes, even $80). There really is no reason other than demanding a huge profit margin for the the Airport/Time Capsules to be priced as high as they are. 1TB drives were multiple times more expensive when it came out than they are now.

I know I'm shouting into the wind on this point, but be civil (and as a bonus, do some research).

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Well to be fair they did add dual band, online file sharing, and one click guest networking to the box which has added value. No way does a 802.11n router + 1TB drive = $500 but part of that value is ease of use, one stop solution, apple elegance etc. If you don't like the price simply buy something else, as you said there are cheaper solutions.

chucknorris1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Well to be fair they did add dual band, online file sharing, and one click guest networking to the box which has added value. No way does a 802.11n router + 1TB drive = $500 but part of that value is ease of use, one stop solution, apple elegance etc. If you don't like the price simply buy something else, as you said there are cheaper solutions.

thank you, actually you are the first poster to answer my question: why do people pay more. all the other guys didn't add any value the the thread. shame on them :eek:)

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
thank you, actually you are the first poster to answer my question: why do people pay more. all the other guys didn't add any value the the thread. shame on them :eek:)

Yup, because 'why do people pay more for Apple stuff?' hasn't been asked and answered numerous times over the last 30+ years.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Link please.

I did suggest going to dealnews/deal mac. Here's a couple from yesterday:

Fantom 1 TB USB/ESATA $80 after two $20 rebates

Simpletech 1TB USB for $100 at Staples. It's easy to get a $25/$100 coupon for staples to drop this to $75. I get them emailed to me all the time. They are also available on the interwebs quite easily.

Those are two examples found in 90 seconds of looking (took longer to write this). I'm sure there are plenty of others. I recently bought a WD 750G USB drive at Staples for $55 shipped.

enjoy!

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
It is nice that :apple: caught up on the dual band. That's what's been keeping me from buying a (refurbed) AE. I also like the guest access setup. A nice feature addition. I just don't think they needed to maintain a $200 premium for the 1TB over the 500G. I'd be ok with $50 drop in that difference ($100 even better--make it $299/$399) to reflect the reality of HD costs--after all, that's the only difference between the two models.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
You do know you can get a 1TB Time Capsule for $387 from Amazon right???

That's the "old" model which doesn't support dual band or any of the other new features. But that is the price I'd like to see the new one at. They dropped it to that price recently in preparation for the new model which is $499 list (maybe $497 on amazon :rolleyes:).

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere

I don't see anything about 'screwing us'.

Time Capsule = one box solution.
AirPort Extreme base station + external hard drive + AC adapters also give you the same solution, but Time Capsule is more elegant.

ravencr

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Can the airport Extreme be hooked up to two externals using a usb splitter, or potentially even more?

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.