Pricing for 2nd Gen iPads

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smallnshort247, Dec 25, 2010.

1. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Hey Guys,

First off, I hope you're all having a Merry Christmas! I pretty much got nothing but money so I'm thinking of what to buy. I know the next generation iPads are on their way soon, so I wanted to know what you guys thought about what they may be priced at. Do you think they'll keep the prices the same and just update the models?

BTW, I'm looking into the entry level iPad (16GB Wifi)

2. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

True. I guess my question is.. Would you assume they'd keep the pricing the same?

3. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

either they will cost more, less, or remain the same.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

My guess would be same price, but with more features or new lower level (ie 499 for 32 GB, then up). I would be surprised if they increased the price.

5. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I could see the prices going down. I remember buying a 1st gen 8GB iPod touch for $320 CAD plus taxes, when they first came out. This month I bought a 32GB 4th gen for the same price. Although there's a big gap between 1st & 4th gen, I'm pretty sure an 8GB 2nd gen went for cheaper than $320 CAD.

For that reason I think the prices might go down. Unless there is a lot of hardware improvements (like cameras, better display, etc). In which case the price might go up. I know the 8GB 4th gen is more expensive than the previous 8GB model.

Hopefully the price goes down, though!

6. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Exactly the same. Too early in the product cycle to have a price drop, plus they've sold tons more than any competitor so from a business stand point there would be no benefit in dropping the price.

On an opinionated point, if they were smart they'd raise the price.

7. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

I went ahead and fixed that for you.

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

In light of other products updates, pricing will remain the same, for the same GB and Model type (3G/Wi-Fi). You'll just get the new features at the same price point.

9. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I meant what I wrote. They could profit a ton if they rose prices. Everyone is hooked on this product and an increase in price would hardly cause a drop in demand.

10. mcm2839 macrumors newbie

I highly doubt the iPad demand is inelastic. Raising the entry price point could impact sales. I think if you see a drop in price it would be to $399 entry price point. However I think you'll see greater features at the same price points for a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 16 gig gone in the 2nd gen.

11. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

This.

12. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

whatever they cost...will sell a zillion

and to think... right now we don't even know the features that we just couldn't live without ;-)

13. slothrob macrumors 6502

Iirc, in the past Apple has tended to raise the memory specs. on the higher tier products and keep the entry level one the same, and generally maintain the price structure. However, a jump to 16, 64, 128, or 32, 64, 128, while keeping the same price structure, seems unlikely since there hasn't been a significant drop in memory in the last few months.

I think what we'll probably see the same prices with a few added features, but no memory bump, but I can imagine something like 16, 32, 128, with the current prices, in an attempt to push buyers to the higher end.

However, in light of some dramatic price drops in later generation iPhones and iPod Touches, I think there is the possibility that the 16 GB might get a $50-100 drop. $399 for a 16 GB iPad isn't unbelievable, but it does start to cut the profit margin pretty thin. It would certainly help keep sales up, though.

14. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If they lowered it, it would be closer to the iPod Touch range.
    However - again, we're talking about something that doesn't even exist.

16. iceblade macrumors member

I think its likely if they increase features and or memory, the price will stay the same. 32, 64, 128. Basically just double the memory add some new features, price stays the same.

I would like to see a price drop on the 16 gig, but as wordoflife mentioned, get it too low and you're getting near ipod touch range.

I doubt prices will go up. I really hope they don't, cause I want to get one within the next year or two, haha.

17. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

my guess is it will be the same, but with some more features, to keep up with any competition.

18. WishIWasAMac macrumors newbie

New Version, Lower Price?

I am slowly getting reaquainted with Mac computers and have decided to get an iPad. A friend's daughter owns nothing but Mac products and she suggested that I wait til after the new version come out because there's rumor it will likely go down in price. Is this true? Have I overlooked a thread already discussing this?

Please don't laugh too loudly at me. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

19. Cuddles macrumors newbie

Did you read any of this thread?

20. WishIWasAMac macrumors newbie

My question was moved here..... I'm not that stupid, but it's nice to make new people look stupid isn't it?