Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlsife

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
15" MBP = $1799. Best Buy has the 15" rMBP for $2089.

So, for $290 you get (a) retina display, (b) SSD and (c) an extra 4 MB of RAM.

Hard to see how the regular 2012 15" makes sense if you look at it that way. Maybe I'm missing something.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
well, its more money.

completly new computer vs a a reliable long term design.

not saying the retina isnt reliable, but i mean its like buying cars, the 2010 model is prob better than a 2006 toyota. any bugs, etc would be worked out and fine tuned throughout the eyears

ryane67

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
I can't understand getting the regular 15" MacBook Pro at this point unless they were priced under $1000.

I would, if they would put the 1gb GPU in the lower end model, that not being the case however, poo on that idea.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
depends on if you want to get a $2k computer to browse the web at starbucks on a high res screen (this is how i see the retina mbp), or if you want a powerful computer on which you can do work...

anyway, here's what i've went with:

base classic model + 256gig ssd + 16gigs of ram for ~$2100 and then another $250 for applecare. shopping around can usually net you a much better deal than going directly to apple.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
This has been pointed out in a few other threads. There are pros and cons for each model. No computer is right for everyone, and at this point, there's most definitely a market for both models.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008

Hard to see how the regular 2012 15" makes sense if you look at it that way. Maybe I'm missing something.

Actually you can easily upgrade the MBP yourself to a 256gb SSD and 16gb of ram and still be slightly cheaper then the retina. You also have the option of replacing the DVD drive with a second hard drive. For things like video editing that would be very beneficial. Plus, what if you have to use programs that will never be optimized for the retina display? I can't see using Office all day long on the retina.

On the other hand, the retina screen with it's reduced glare and the flexibility of using different resolutions is well worth the cost difference if you don't need those other things. Plus the screen is so beautiful that it makes it a joy to use.

So yes, both options make sense for different people and for different uses.

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012

port and upgradeability and price

pepatrick

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
I almost got the MBPr..ordered it and cancelled it after about 2 weeks. Decided to go with the 2.7 cMBP for the upgrade reason. Standard SSDs will go down significantly over the next year..I will add a 2nd ssd in the opti bay and not have to buy proprietary stuff from OWC and Apple. Its plugged into a 27" thunderbolt display so pretty tough to beat that....especially editing photos.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I decided on a price point of $2200. I made a pro/con chart for both models (8 +/- items for each model). For my needs and priorities, the cMBP edged out the retina.

The final decision point (#9) in favor of the classic was how I would feel when they released the next major update in 2013. I tend not to sell my products when something new comes out. Having said that, I would have been far more disappointed owning the 2012 retina when they release the 2013 model with a more capable video card.

Last edited:

Reimer

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
One of the biggest things for me is that unless you're willing to spend at least another $600, you're stuck with a 256GB drive without the use of externals in the rMBP.

With the regular MBP, you have the option of swapping out the optical drive and have both the capacity of a spindle drive plus the speed of an SSD.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
One of the biggest things for me is that unless you're willing to spend at least another $600, you're stuck with a 256GB drive without the use of externals in the rMBP.

With the regular MBP, you have the option of swapping out the optical drive and have both the capacity of a spindle drive plus the speed of an SSD.

Actually you will be able to purchase a larger SSD for it down the road which will be less than the $600. SSD prices are dropping like a rock. Sure these will cost more than 2.5 SSD's but Apple is going to be switching to SSD's more and more and it looks like it'll be this form so that will help to bring down prices.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I'm looking at the high end standard 15" MBP instead of the rMBP. I really like the upgradeability of the standard model, plus it's more powerful for the same price. But that being said, I really want the rMBP. :eek:

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007

I agree 100%. Both are too expensive, but if you're spending that much you may as well get the Retina.

Aodhan

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I went with the MBP over the MBPR because I wanted upgradeability and repairability, and because I just had a sinking feeling that a 650M with 1GB of ram wouldn't be enough for a good gaming experience with a 2880x1800 display.

Also, I am cautious with Rev A products from Apple. Now, the MBPR is a gorgeous piece of hardware, and there are a lot of people deliriously happy with theirs. But Apple's continued obsession with thin has led to a notebook that is simply too compact to allow upgrades or repairs. For me, the MBP seems quite thin as it is, and it at least allows me to open it up and get my groove on. I can, and will eventually, add an SSD.

So it's really a compromise. I pass on the retina and the new thin hotness, but I get other things that are important to me. There's room for both the MBP and the MBPR in the market.

dlsife

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
All very good thoughts. Thanks for the responses. I continue to be torn.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Actually you can easily upgrade the MBP yourself to a 256gb SSD and 16gb of ram and still be slightly cheaper then the retina. You also have the option of replacing the DVD drive with a second hard drive. For things like video editing that would be very beneficial. Plus, what if you have to use programs that will never be optimized for the retina display? I can't see using Office all day long on the retina.

This is why I'm going with a regular MBP. 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Yes, and it's very, very nice. And I have no need for the ODD. Hence my original post trying to justify it financially :)

There really isn't much cost difference, if any, between the two. Add an SSD and ram (aftermarket of coarse) to the MBP and it's almost the same price. Then it's basically do you want the ODD or the retina display?

dlsife

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
There really isn't much cost difference, if any, between the two. Add an SSD and ram (aftermarket of coarse) to the MBP and it's almost the same price. Then it's basically do you want the ODD or the retina display?
agreed.

Slivortal

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
depends on if you want to get a $2k computer to browse the web at starbucks on a high res screen (this is how i see the retina mbp), or if you want a powerful computer on which you can do work...

anyway, here's what i've went with:

base classic model + 256gig ssd + 16gigs of ram for ~$2100 and then another $250 for applecare. shopping around can usually net you a much better deal than going directly to apple.

So, wait a minute. A computer with the same specs as yours with a larger graphics card and a better screen is somehow less powerful? I don't get your line of reasoning at all.

I mean, sure, $300 may cost you a few trips to Starbucks, but I'd rather have a smaller chassy, better screen, and better graphics card than 30 latés.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings

If I were buying right now I'd got for the classic with hi-res, for the following reasons:

- 1440x900 is too small for me to work efficiently on, and the reports of rMBP lagginess at 1680x1050 / 1900x1200 are discouraging.

- Upgrading the RAM in the classic to match the rMBP would only cost about $100.

- I can always use an optibay solution to install an SSD.

- I need more than 256MB internal storage and the rMBP upgrade prices are prohibitive.

While I would *love* the smaller and lighter form factor, and while I'm sure it's great for some people, it's just not a practical solution for me.

Maybe in a couple generations when the GPUs catch up; or if they ever re-enable aftermarket memory upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.