Print to PDF

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Si., May 11, 2008.

1. Si. macrumors member

Is there any thing available that will allow me to print to a PDF file? I'm trying to export something to a PDF file that does not have the feature as standard. I know it can be done in Windows as there are a few Print to PDF applications. but I can't find a Mac one.

2. NJuul macrumors 6502

Open the document you want to print to pdf, go to:

File -> Print...

In the window that pops up, click on the button in the lower left corner entitled...

"PDF" (;))

click on "Save as PDF", and choose where to save the document.
    Click on "Save".
    That's it!

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Note this feature is available from any Mac application with print support.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Apart from Microsoft Office apparently. God only knows why or how they mucked that up.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Seriously? You can't print to PDF from Office?

6. 11800506 macrumors 65816

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I can print to PDF in Office, at least in 2004, don't know about 2008.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I suggested it to a user in another thread a little while ago and was told that Microsoft buggered it up in 2008. No surprise there then.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Works fine in 2004.

Surprised that it does not work in 2008 as you state.

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Bear in mind it is second hand information, although I see no reason why they would lie about it.

11. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Just tried exporting an excel file as a PDF. It worked fine, except when the 'save' box is open the default name for the document is
    'document-name.xlsx' as opposed to 'document-name.pdf' so I have to change the extension.

12. portent macrumors 6502a

Office 2008 has a "Save as" option for PDF. That might be their replacement for PDF printing.

Microsoft has to be different, see.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I rarely use Word or Excel, but it seems from my experience that Microsoft has a thing about not using OSX's built-in preview -- they implement their own. Perhaps this is why Word doesn't support the standard print-to-pdf function in OSX.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No they just want to kill Office for Mac and make it into a joke to protect their Windows monopoly.

I only have Office 2004, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to upgrade to 2008.

At the moment aside from gaming (which is rapidly becoming console only) there are virtually no advantages (the crap version of Mac Office is pretty much the only one) software-wise of using Windows as a consumer, but there are definite advantages of using a Mac such as Delicious Library, so they definitely have motive.

15. The General macrumors 601

I don't know what ya'll are on about, the PDF menu is there in Mac Office 2008...

[​IMG]

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks for the info.

Glad to see Microsoft 2008 still supports this, as it is a standard feature on the print dialog.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's not about Microsoft supporting it, the Mac OS X platform is PDF based as it always has been since inception so as long as the application in question is printable you could always save to PDF.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is not necessarily true. Applications can bypass the standard print dialog box, and some do.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks IJ.

As those of us who have been using Macs for a while know, some companies choose to not use standard dialog boxes for whatever reason. :(

20. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Here is the straight skinny on Microsoft Word 2008 and PDF:
    • Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker 8.1 toolbar—Does not work.
    • Adobe Distiller 8.1 (cgpdftops CUPS filter) print driver—Works.
    • File>Print...>PDF (Quartz PDFContext)—Works.
    • File>Save As...>PDF—Works. It uses Quartz PDFContext just as File>Print...>PDF.
    Long story short—all of the standard Apple PDF facilities in MacOS X work as expected with Microsoft Word 2008. The only thing that doesn't work is Adobe's Office 2004 toolbar. However, there appears to be no need for it in Office 2008.

21. bit density macrumors 6502

There is all sorts of good stuff that you want from Application PDF support. Hyperlinks, TOC, Index, Forms, Thumbnails, Rich Media, Book Creation tools, transitions, and probably a bunch more, but that is sufficient for now.

The print dialog is not enough for a lot of applications, and at the end of the day, Many of those applications are in the office suite.

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Could you please name some companies or apps that don't use the standard print dialog box where the PDF feature would not be available?

I've been using Macs (probably a lot longer than most of you) since Mac OS 8.5 and I've been using Mac OS X since the beta version and I have never ran into this.

23. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you had bothered to actually read my post, then you would know that you are not limited to using the File>Print... dialog box.

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I would think that you'd have to actively write some rather clever code to stop PDF printing from working in your application. This is very hard to mess up unintentionally.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Adobe InDesign, for one. I don't know about the current version, but version 2.0 has a non-standard print dialog box which does not include the print to PDF option, among others. I believe this approach is common with Adobe applications, or at least it was.

Since OS support for printing to PDF started with OSX, I don't know that length of Mac use is really an issue here, but if it matters, I've been a Mac user since 1984, and over the years I've seen quite a few applications which monkey with the core services of the OS, such as printing.