Printer Recommendation...Multifunction & Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidg4781, Aug 30, 2008.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I'm in need of a new multifunction printer. I'd like it to have Wi-Fi, duplex printing, and a document feeder, but if I can get a wi-fi one really inexpensive, I might be able to do without those luxuries.

I don't need anything with awesome photo capabilities, but would like the wi-fi so I can put it where I want it, not near my MacBook or my router.

I'm looking at HPs (I've used them for the past 10 years), Epson, or Canon. I'm assuming most of them are going to be compatible with Mac OS X, but just would like everyone's input on which model I should get. HP has one for $170, and that's really pushing the high end of my budget, just so y'all know what I'm looking at.

2. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd go with a Brother if you would prefer a laser.
    No scanner or doc feeder, but far less expensive to operate than an inkjet.
    Good quality, and fast (after warm-up). Cheaper on consumables than HP (laser).

Brother HL-2170w 23ppm Laser Printer with Wireless & Wired Network Interfaces
    It can be had for $121.61 at Amazon.

To add the duplex feature, you won't stay in your budget.
    Brother HL 5280DW Wireless Laser Printer Network Duplex 30 Ppm
    $330.99 and free shipping at Amazon.

4. arholmes macrumors newbie

I have the Brother MFC-465N and I love it!!! It has built in networking and I have my main desktop computer and two laptops printing from the printer.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for all your help. I went to Best Buy to see what they have. There just so happened to be an Epson rep there. He said in a few weeks, Epson is revamping all their printers (they're online now, but out of stock). A lot have all the features I'm looking for. I'm thinking of getting the WorkForce 600. The reviews on Newegg say it's a pretty good printer, but not one you want to print high quality photos on.

Actually, that's fine with me, because if I need super high quality stuff, I'll take it to a photo lab or a Kinkos type thing. I was wanting a printer soon, because I wanted to fill out some applications for work, but I think I'll just print them out at Kinkos for the time being until the new Epsons come out, and I can make a decision based on the new printers.

6. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Canon Pixma

We've been really happy w/ the Canon Pixma printer (multifunction, feeder/flatbed, wireless) for the past year for our business use.

7. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Did you ever get the WorkForce 600? I'm thinking about getting one but want to make sure that the software and printer really works with OS X. I have had HP's in the past and the software was just horrible and just didn't work.

8. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I ended up getting the HP J6480. I'm somewhat happy with it. I have had problems with it saying it's out of paper, while there is paper in it. I think it's designed kind of funny inside there. I did do an update, which required Windows, and so far, I haven't had that problem.

9. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response. I won't buy an HP again after all of the problems I had with their last printer. It came with a JetDirect card in it and yet their software could never find the printer. You had to use a USB cable to the printer, then it would be able to find it on the network. SOme of the functions never worked and the software would just time-out when trying to connect to the printer. One such feature was setting the time; it would 30 minutes before it would say it failed and the program was unusable during that time. If you wanted to get the updated software, the version that offered network support was 10MB larger than the non-netwokr version but you had to pay HP $5 for a CD of it. Both were under 75MB too. The scanner failed after a year and went through the entire process over the phone and if you selected Mac or Windows it took you to the same place (India) and when the guy asked what version of Windows and I said Max OS X he said he couldn't process the replacement as I wasn't running Windows; this was after spending two-hours on the phone with them. It was already deemed a hardware issue with the AIO and not an OS/application issue; obvious since it was the scanner part and you couldn't even copy anything on the flatbed portion. Got a replacement and te scanner failed again a few months later. I didn't even bother calling.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Ouch!

Customer Service and Product Reliability are so wonderful these days, aren't they? :rolleyes: ;)

To top it off, HP's gone to chipping their supplies to expire after 24 months used up or not. :mad:

11. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

How do you know about the 24 month thing? I know, I should do my own research, but I should have also been asleep 3 hours ago:eek:.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

13. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Another reason why I won't buy HP again. Too many problems, not customer friendly and just out of touch with reality.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

I came to the same decision. ;) I'm done with HP printers. :mad:

15. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

That's an interesting read. I can see where they're coming from, since they may be responsible if some goof puts older ink into his printer, and messes things up.

I'm sure their researchers have come to this conclusion through lots of data and research, but you never know. Is there a class action law suit out there?

16. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

The warranty is only a year; so their liability ends there.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/27359

17. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Read the linked articles on lawsuits. I think HP and Lexmark wanted to take out the guys refilling and reselling their old cartridges.

18. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

That's true about the printer, but they have a potential liability if they do not take measures to prevent older ink to be used in a printer, where by the older ink cartridge could damage the printer.

19. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

How? Some of the cartridges have the print head on them. The possibility of damage is nill.

20. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

So you're saying there will be no damage at all by putting in an ink cartridge that's 7 years old, where the ink is starting to dry up and seals and adhesives are starting to fail?

Sorry, I wouldn't trust my printer with something like that, and I wouldn't blame a company for taking precautions to prevent something like that from happening.

21. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

No, it is mor elike you buy a car from Brand "X" and the car will not run unless you use their oil and their filter. If the oil is more than 2-years old (it could have sat on the shelf for 23 months) then the car will stop. You also need to use their brand of fuel and if you don't, the car won't run.

The only reason that HP puts the chips in is so they can make their money by forcing you to use their products and not a competitors.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...cused-of-colluding-on-printer-ink-prices.html

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

Don't forget, to also force you to change the supplies out more frequently than you may have otherwise needed to. ;)

They're only happy if they continue to get cash out of their customers on a regular basis. :p

23. mwchris macrumors regular

Today Only

Just saw this today, might be worth looking at:

www.woot.com

Lexmark printer with wi-fi, document feeder, and duplex printing for $99.99 + $5 for shipping.

For sale until the run out . . . then a new deal the next day. Great site

24. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

They make sure that is the case too.