Printing from iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by elaniemay, Nov 20, 2011.

1. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I got my iPad 2 a week or so ago (yay!) and am curious if I set up a printer that is wifi capable, can I print off my iPad?

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I believe only if they are Air Print enabled Wi-Fi printers can you print directly to them. I have one that is, and it prints from the iPad. My other printers I print to through using Printopia. Printopia will allow non-Air Print printers to be used from the iPad/iPhone.

Edit: Here is a list of printers that support Air Print

3. Fixmy59bug macrumors newbie

There are also manufacturers of wifi printers that made an app to enable printing.

For example, Epson made an app that allows me to print to my NX515, which is not AirPrint enabled.

4. marc55, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Thinking of getting an iPad2, but my wife wants to make sure we can print to it.

I have an older BROTHER MFC-5860 All in One printer, which we print to wifi from our current PC.

I checked out the HPePrint App, but the few reviews it had were not very good.

So, what apps are there out there that we could use to print anything (web pages, notes, documents, emails, etc) from the ipad2?

Thank you

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

HP 6500A Plus. Just picked one up from Stapes.com for $75 plus free shipping.

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Yeah, I got the HP 6500A Plus E710n version for a bit more,but works great. Can print from any idevice on my network. You'll love it.

Black print cartridge price is frackin high though! Costs more than the other 3 color cartridges combined.

7. doboy macrumors 68000

Wow. I didn't realize there were Air Print compatible devices other than HP printers. Finally!

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I also just got a P1102w HP laser, also for $75. Supports Airprint and connects wirelessly to the network.

9. azxr macrumors member

I have the P1102W also and am very happy with it.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's quiet, fast, and in power save mode all the lights turn off so keeping it in your room doesn't light it up at night.

11. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

We have a Brother MFC-255CW, which isn't listed on Apple's website as supporting AirPrint, but works most of the time. *shrug*

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Our network printer at home was connected to a PC in the study. Too many times my wanted to print and either a)pc was turned off or b)ink cartridges were jammed, dried up

So, we bought a HP Airprint laser printer for under a $100. Works like a charm to print from iphone, ipad and of course our macs. Laser is much nicer and we rarely ever really needed the color.

13. Captjlucpicard macrumors newbie

This is what I'm working with as well. It's a fantastic printer. I had to do all the updates before it would work with my Ipad though. Which wasn't really a hassle.

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah I got the same printer a few days ago from staples store. eprint works really well.

15. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I bought my father in law an iPad, Bluetooth keyboard and the HP Photosmart 5100A. Once connected to WiFi he has all the computing power he needs for email, browsing and light word processing. He can print via AirPrint, but my kids can email Grandpas printer thanks to Hp's ePrint feature. They now "remote print" pictures, cards, handwritten letters they've scanned at home, etc. he loves getting email on his iPad, but is ecstatic to hear the printer go off, knowing its something inbound from the grand kids.

Really a good computing combo for the elderly. And my tech support requirements have been virtually nil for him as well.

16. pourme macrumors regular

pourme

You got a deal!....Just went to Staples.con and they are $149.95 today....:(

17. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Just went to staples.com - shows as $99.98 for me

18. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

We have the HP 8500A and it works great. Though, as always HP rapes us at the cartridge table. They should just give the printers away...

19. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

I use something called print activator to print to my several year old networked printer.

20. ScoutDad macrumors member

With the inability of airprint activator to work under iOS 5, I recently found a new alternative for those out there with old non-eprint printers. I downloaded a program called Fingerprint from http://www.collobos.com/index.html. The program actually resides on your PC or mac, so it has to be on for it work. But there is nothing to install on your iPhone or iPad and it works thru the print menu just like the airprint printers do.

I just finished up my 7 day trial version and I'm definitely going to purchase it for the $10 they want. I have the PC version and it worked great thru my networked Hp 1320 printer - even gives me the option to do double-sided.

21. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Huh?? Working fine on mine running iOS 5.0.1

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Can't speak for Mac but it doesn't work on PC with iOS 5 devices.

23. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

AirPrint Activator hasn't worked for me since the last iOS4.x update.
    Either Mac or PC.
    Fingerprint is nice but I need a solution for when I am at work (PC/Mac) and at home (PC).
    They want me to buy a copy for every PC I need to share a printer from.
    I'd rather buy a one time app that activates to my phone instead.

Why Apple closed AirPrint is beyond me.
    The pre-release version worked like a charm with any printer that was shared.

24. ScoutDad macrumors member

Shucks, I was hoping I could share the serial number with my work PC too?!?!

Yeah, it's shame about Airprint Activator - it worked like a champ for me too!

25. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Well, I hadn't realized there were issues with Airprint Activator. I have it installed on my Mac mini, sharing my networked HP printer. I just sent an e-mail to it and it printed just fine.

iOS5.0.1