Privacy Advocates and Devs Raise Concerns About Third-Party App Access to TrueDepth Camera

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
They should have separate normal camera permission and TrueDepth system from each other and force devs to ask another permission for TrueDepth camera

ArneK

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2015
Time to put a little light next to the camera and have it light up whenever its being used by an app.

Spectrum

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Why can't an app have "access" to the face mapping function, but not be able to read, collect or send the data anywhere? That seems a perfectly reasonable compromise. Thus any software that requires the ability to map something onto the face is able to do so, but the actual data map of the face is never actually communicated to the app/developer itself? It would simply be called as an invisible function.

This of course would prevent any app from being able to interpret the apparent expression or gender etc of a face. Is that significant compromise?

laz232

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
You have to ask yourself whether you prefer quality or quantity in your socializing and friendships. I can only speak for myself, but having been a Facebook user from 2007 until 2015, I never gained a single true friend via the service. The relationships I forged in the real world, much fewer though they were, were vastly more fulfilling. (Alas, not all relationships last forever. But that's just life.) When all is said and done, no digital network defines who you are; only you do.

Completely agree - my point is that a lot of people are on FB *and* it's used as a data-exchange platform in lieu of email, for:
customer service
opening times for places
event notifications

I rant against this, and tell people to have their own website, and use open access email, but I cannot convince my airline company, or 30 businesses, or my homeowner association, or school...

So even disregarding the social aspects, in order to get information that we need for normal life, we are forced onto platforms that don't give a *** about privacy. see also: Linkedin, same problem, as a independent consultant I'm de facto forced to use it, even though I hate it.

It's the same with smartphones for work I pretty much need a smartphone to be competitive in my market - Android / iOS - both are getting worse WRT privacy, but to run a business you almost have no choice

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
How is this any different then having access to your microphone or camera? I mean why do people assume that some new technology in a phone is so much more prone to privacy issues with dire concern?

There is also a difference between TrueDepth camera and the Face ID system, they are not synonymous. Simply accessing the TrueDepth features does not mean that they can hack into the private data enclave Apple has set up to actually do Face ID authentication against what the TrueDepth data that is provided to it.

This is what happens when Luddites get their hands on something they have no understanding about, just "special" interest groups spreading FUD around because they got nothing better to do. Much ado about nothing.

geta

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Many companies will find a lope hole (sooner then later) using the 3D faceID cameras to collect info on the users, the same way they already doing so. The problem is that few companies doing this without asking your permission! they collecting info using your IP address-microphone-cameras-gps to build profiles on people… why do you think they’ll stop when they can have access to full 3D face mapping camera??

diego

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2003
Canada & Mexico
The state of technology these days comes straight out of a dystopian movie. How can we make a shift towards adapting technology to our most pressing needs without infringing on every human right?

feniks

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2004
Los Angeles
Just curious....has anyone found any other apps that use the TrueDepth camera system and provide facial tracking (possibly with the ability to record a live movie/video)?

DblHelix

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
As I suspected, a shop talk term that might not be as much in common usage you might imagine. But now I have to understand the word glork, which turns out to be yet another bit of urban slang derived from computer programing shop talk.
It is not computer programming shop talk it is used in business and advertising as well. Can we get back on topic?

sidewinder3000

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Visit site
And people will cry as if a victim. You have the option to not buy the phone, not use the apps etc.
Well... it's one thing when people bitch for no reason. And plenty do. But if 3rd party devs don't make it explicit what kind of face data they are mining with a detailed, interruptive pop up, then Apple should. This is a new frontier, and the boundaries need to be clearly defined by Apple if it is to maintain it's reputation as the privacy and security leader, and keep the almost blind trust people give them as a result.

It's one thing to whine because you're too lazy to understand the products you're using. But if you're being hoodwinked by some weird backdoor 3rd party face data collection that was never explicitly detailed for you (which seems like may sometimes be the case) then cry away.

Last edited:

Jbusick7944

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Well... it's one thing when people bitch for no reason. And plenty do. But if 3rd party devs don't make it explicit what kind of face data they are mining with a detailed, interruptive pop up, then Apple should. This is a new frontier, and the boundaries need to be clearly defined by Apple if it is to maintain it's reputation as the privacy and security leader, and keep the almost blind trust people give them as a result.

It's one thing to whine because you're too lazy to understand the products you're suing. But if you're being hoodwinked by some weird backdoor 3rd party face data collection that was never explicitly detailed for you (which seems like may sometimes be the case) then cry away.
Well said.

Reactions: sidewinder3000