Privacy issues with iphone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thunderbird1, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Thunderbird1 macrumors newbie

Isn't anyone concerned about privacy issues with the iphone? I mean look at what is required?!?:

To purchase and activate iPhone 3G, you need the following:*
    ▪ Credit card
    ▪ Social security number
    ▪ Valid government-issued photo ID
    ▪ Current wireless account number and password or PIN (if you’re new to AT&T)
    * Plus a full credit check
    * Plus must be 18 years or older to purchase
    * Finally a 1,000 page report on your life history, with birth certificate, finger prints, and full blood analysis (just kidding for now, this won't be required until iphone 4G service according to rumors from AT&T)

This all smells like a 666 rat chip that you hold in your hand instead of being injected under your skin. You get to keep it in your pocket, in fact it even has a GPS to track your where-abouts. Doesn’t this scare anyone at all? Read apples disclaimer on the legal page of the iphone. They know where you are at all times and this is AT&T information they are entitled to. What has happened to our freedoms and privacy? I know you may say, that they need all the info to make sure you will pay your bill. But what happened to the logic that if you don’t pay your bill your service is turned off? Just like not paying cable, or the water bill?

Best feature of iphone 3G for AT&T is, they get your information a whole lot faster than 2.5G. The old advertisement use to say, "where do you (does Microsoft) want to go today? Now the shoe is on the other foot, AT&T asks, where are you going today and do you have our permission?

Just a thought; AT&T's biggest concern is not about paying your bill, it is just a reason to get all the info on you they can and have you in their data base and know all about you for future control purposes. Talk about invasion of privacy? But then again, who has always wanted to know more about you than AT&T? Answer is, no one, except the govt. Who does the govt. information bidding? Doesn't this bother anyone? If it does, please let us know why it bothers you?

2. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Thats all standard info that any company would need to take a number or start new service.

3. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

4. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Exactly. Nothing new...

▪ Credit card - Needed to pay for your service. They have to have a card number to charge you for the services and yes, the phone.

▪ Social security number - Needed to run a credit check.

▪ Valid government-issued photo ID - prove who you are...otherwise anyone could swipe your credit card and SSN and try to open account in your name anywhere.

▪ Current wireless account number and password or PIN (if you’re new to AT&T) - how else do you expect them to upgrade your current account or move your number over from another car

* Plus a full credit check - surprise! they want to make sure you pay your bill...you are signing a contract that obligates you to pay your bill for 2 years.

* Plus must be 18 years or older to purchase - legal age to sign a contract.

About the credit check. I had to go through 6 months of sending in a paper check every month to establish credit with AT&T when I first signed up...because I failed the credit check (I basically had none). My father (who has excellent credit) vouched for me and they setup the payment plan by check. I have been a customer who pays his bill promptly ever since (like 5 or 6 years now).

Note however, that this kind of credit doesn't impact your credit score that much since you are expected to pay your bills no matter what they are. Credit cards and loans are different as if you can pay those back promptly it shows you manage money given to you properly, which is important to stuff like applying for other credit cards, cars, houses, etc. Quite a bit different than paying for a cell phone bill.

5. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

The utilities company and the cable company don't offer you a $400 subsidy on a product to sign up.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

no.

If it concerns you, don't buy an iphone... or cell phone, or credit card, or car, or house... ever.

arn

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

and we all wait in line willingly to hand over our freedoms:rolleyes:

8. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Major League Baseball is watching us all I tells ya!

9. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

Amen