Privacy light above the front camera?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JeepGC, Mar 31, 2011.

1. JeepGC macrumors regular

Is there a light above the front facing camera? I thought I read somewhere that there was, but when using FaceTime or the front camera in general it doesn't light up. Does yours light up?

2. outphase macrumors 65816

That's not a privacy light. That's a light sensor.

3. JeepGC thread starter macrumors regular

Ah thanks!

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

5. JeepGC thread starter macrumors regular

Im not sure if "privacy light" is the correct terminology but it's like the green light on the iMacs and MacBooks that lights up when the iSight camera is on.

6. phluid13 macrumors member

phluid13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

The iPad doesn't have this that I'm aware of. The iPhone doesn't have this either. Best practice is to cover it up when not in use with some black or white tape depending on the color of your iPad.

7. smugDrew macrumors member

Never thought about checking this, until now. I'd prefer if there was a 'privacy light' on iPad. I guess iPad 3 feature now? :D

8. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Why do you guys keep calling it 'privacy light'?

9. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Because it lets you know when there's a camera on, thus alerting you to a possible invasion of privacy?

I don't really see a need for it on the iPad though, there's no case where someone could have a video chat open with you without you realizing it, either the Facetime/Skype app would be open or if you switched away you'd see the pulsing bar at the top of the screen.

It isn't like a Macbook where it might be easy to minimize your chat app and not realize you were still streaming.

11. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I prefer to call it a 1984 indicator, or "big brother light"...

12. FutureStan macrumors member

+1.

The iDevices have a "privacy" measure in their software (iOS) rather than the hardware, if you exit an App while the camera or microphone still on it has a flashing red (I think its green on the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4?) bar at the top indicating that the camera (or microphone) is still on.

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Best practice? You must be joking.

14. phluid13 macrumors member

phluid13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope. If you're that worried. Then that would be a best practice. I'm not worried what people see. They can see me walking around all naked for all I care. Way I see it. If they're that good to hack my iPad or iPhone camera, I can't stop what they see.