Private Forums>

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Eric Lewis, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

You want me to pay 25dollars to view some private forums...what a rip/....they should be free

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

If it was free there wouldn't be an incentive to become a contributer.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Then they wouldn't be private.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I paid my $25 and the whine filter doesn't work worth a crap. What a rip!

That's like $.02 per post against your current post rate. Two bucks a month. One lousy Frappucino every four weeks. If it bothers you that much, pay up, and see what we're all saying about you. Or don't. It's a free forum (except for the Privates).

Just my .02 ;)

5. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

With an attitude like that you wouldn't fit in anyways. ;)

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

You contribute the $25 a year for, mainly, the satisfaction of helping pay the site's running costs.

The private forums are a bonus, but if you aren't happy with paying $25 because you don't think it's good value, then, as fistful said, you probably wouldn't fit in.

7. mpw Guest

Why?

8. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

what are the secret forums? i pay the 25? i just want to see if its worth it

9. mpw Guest

They're not secret in a dodgy handshake sort of way, just less open to causual perusal than the public forums.

The $25 isn't to buy secrecy, just to support the site. The fact that most supporters of the site are more willing to talk more openly with like minded people is why there are less open forums available. Not so much secrecy as mutual respect.... in theory.

10. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

There lying to you 'bout the secret.. There's not a secret forum on MR (Macrumors) .. The real deal you get the special demi-handle n other stuff™ .. :p

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Eric Lewis: The private forum isn't secret, just private, and it's a small perk to paid MacRumors members. You might read this thread and this thread for more about it. We never pressure anyone to join, but those who want to support the site are welcome to do so. That's how we keep the news site and forums free to the public.

Even without paying to join, you can support MacRumors by contributing your expertise to help other members in the forums, buying from the site sponsors, letting other people know about the site, helping author Mac Guides, and other ways.

12. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It isn't.

13. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I would pay to support the site in a second, but I don't have PayPal and I don't want PayPal. Any other alternatives??? Could I just ship Arn a case of Canadian beer?

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you are interested, I can offer you advice about it if you contact me by Private Message.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I feel like just saying my peace on this and then leaving it to be interpreted how it will, so here goes:

Contributing $25 isn't going to be some orgasmic experience where you experience something amazing. The perks that come with it are merely a small benefit that come as a thank-you from Arn. It's sort of like donating to charity (not that MR is a charity). You give because you feel it's the right thing to do, not because you're going to save a lot of money on your taxes.

The same kind of logic should apply here. The little perks are nice, but they certainly aren't why one contributes. I think we (as in most of us who contribute) do so because we like this forum for various reasons (we've gotten help here, we like the people, etc) and simply want to render what assistance we can.

If you think about contributing in that way, it seems less like an admission ticket and more like a community donation, which is how it's meant to be. The minor perks (like the title and the private forums) certainly are nice, but they aren't the sole reason why I contribute (and I gather that most demis would agree with me on this).

Or, if it helps, think of MR's demi donation as a magazine subscription. Considering how much time I waste spend here, I think it's a real bargain!:D

[/my thoughts]

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I've paid the $25 3 years straight and will do it again come whatever month it is.

Worth every penny.

Hell I pay $99 a year for .Mac..

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you don't know what's in there, how can you call it a "rip". :rolleyes:

Why should hey be free? Is it that sense of entitlement thing that's so pervasive these days?

18. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Maybe you should start a class action lawsuit against MacRumors to stop the $25 charge for accessing private forums, because obviously, whatever you want to be free, should be free... :rolleyes:

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the private forums, like everything on this site, is what you make of it.

if you don't know what something is like, don't rip on it.

20. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Very well said, and some really good analogies there.

I would reiterate what CalBoy said. I don't pay the $25 to get access to a forum. Heck, I don't have much time to browse and reply to topics anyway. I paid the $25 because I really enjoy the site, the forum (when I get the chance) and just the whole community. MR has to be one of my most favourite sites out there.

That, and only that, is the reason that I contribute to the forum.

Based on your attitude, I can see the points raised here about you not fitting in. But, that is because of the way you are thinking about it. It would seem that the only reason you were interested in the contributor status is so you can gain access to a private forum.

Maybe if you thought about the value of the site, you would see more reason to donate other than to gain access to a private area.

David

EDIT: btw, no one wants you to pay anything. You will gain nothing out of the private forums over what is already presented to you as a standard member of this site. It is your choice whether to contribute, or not.

21. mr.light macrumors 6502

I am in complete agreement with that! How about a 4o of Canadian Club?:D

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think the shear amount of members who are contributors (and have been for over a year) should be a good indication of whether the US$25 is worth it.

23. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

24. bartelby macrumors Core

You bugger!!
    I'd just about managed to forget those!!!