Private Forums?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Melrose, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Okay I searched but my search abilities suck so I could not turn much up. I have learned much here on MR and it's truthfully saved me money (but just a bit ;)) - In recent days I have considered a membership so support the community and give back a little.

My question is, are the private forums basically just more of the same of what we already have up front? eg: Are there other user guides, tips, tricks, etc included therein? (bear in mind I'm only seven months on a Mac). I'm not asking to have all the beans spilled, but just to get more of an idea into what's in return.

Many thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The Private Forums are much like Olympus where the (demi)gods cavort and make fun of the little people ;)

Seriously, it is a great place to spend time
    It is worth the small investment, and the support is much greater there

And the perks are awesome

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the private forums are like everything else on a forum. you get what you put into it.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i doubt you'll see a super secret demi-only guide for, say, installing ram. :rolleyes:

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

There's no 'other' forums .. You pay the money for the demi-god title only...

They're telling ya lies... Lies I say.. Lies.... :eek:

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

who's telling lies now? hmm? :D

Attached Files:

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Pay up and find out for yourself!

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

That pic is fake.. You photo-shop it

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The private forum lets the paid members have their own discussions among that smaller community. As in the public forums, the choices of discussion topics are up to the members and vary over time.

If you have further questions not answered by the FAQ, you are always welcome to ask a moderator or use our Contact form.

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We're having a cognac and polo party in there tonight, you're welcome to join us.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You haven't heard about the inauguration, have you.

14. Melrose thread starter macrumors 604

Melrose

Thanks all for the replies - although I might have figured I'd get some funny answers. :D ....and edesign: I didn't think you'd have an 'initiation' or anything like that. Oh, that brings back the ol' college days with a few beers, warm Jell-o, a rubber chicken and some Scotch tape - oh, what mem'ries! :D

Any forum is what you put into it, agreed. I'm still thinking about. My finances, truth be told, a bit tight now, but I'll begin salting away a bit each week... or just not buy the second season of HIMYM on Amazon.com. It would be good to give back a bit; You can't put a price on knowledge and I've picked up a lot of good hints and everyone's (well, most of everyone) has been very helpful and friendly. I feel cozy here.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Contribute because you want to help the site out and see the private forums as an extra. It's not the be-all of contributing and isn't intended to be. If you see it that way, you might be disappointed.

16. WID macrumors member

Once I got into the private forums, I never looked back. Of course, now I'm just a lurker...

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i thought you just about always had access there? and you shouldn't just lurk. :p

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Shame. I enjoy your posts. :)

19. WID macrumors member

Aahhhhh, but I lurked a lot in the public forums first ;)

I'm on quasi-bed rest until little Wildcowboy makes his appearance. I have absolutely nothing interesting to say. Field mice have more interesting lives than mine right now. Thanks for the complement, though! :D

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fixed that for you.

The first rule of Teh Privates is you don't talk about Teh Privates.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Demi's use a bigger hammer, Au iMac only. ;)

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Personally, I'd discourage anyone from contributing to a website with their last dime. MacRumors is glad to have any member's support, but everyone ought to have at least some financial reserves for emergencies, e.g., an iPod that needs a new battery or similar life-and-death situations. The little thank-you benefits we give paid members will still be here when you are a millionaire, or at least a multi-hundredaire.

Only 13 years and a small number of days until WildCowBaby becomes WildCowTeen and can join MacRumors. :)

23. Melrose thread starter macrumors 604

Melrose

Yeah, you know I'm getting dangerously close to having to replace my comb. Yikes! :D

But all fun aside I can appreciate what you mean... I just need a few more pennies I guess. I do like the community (all seven months I've active) - I'm impressed by how everyone (more or less) gets along without actually bashing each other.

24. kabunaru Guest

I, myself, am interested in seeing the mysterious world of the "Private Forums" but I am not sure if it's worth the money or not. ;):eek:

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it has been said, but i'll reiterate: don't contribute for the 'perks', contribute to support the site if you feel the site is worth it.