Pro 9.7 springboard crashes

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
hi guys,
I've got a new iPad Pro 9.7 but since it arrived last week, I've had at least 4 random springboard crashes when it will go back to black screen with the apple logo and "reboot" by itself.

Anyone else having this issue?

richard371

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2008
Happened to me once today. If it where a full reboot or shutdown I'd be worried about hardware but a simple respring is just software. Hopefully it will be fixed in an update.

rexboe

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Took mine back to apple after using online chat and they replaced it will see if that helps. So far no crashes but just got it last night.

Last edited:

rexboe

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Got a replacement from apple after about 5 hours usage it had a crash. I think it is probably software hopefully an update will fix it.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Set up mine as new when I got it on launch day and I've had 3 or 4 Springboard crashes, but none in the last week or so.

joleel7

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Took mine into apple store had mine replaced today.. Restored from itune (backup after setup previous one as new) keep my finger crossed.

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
I just had one right now...

Was in splitscreen with Safari and Notability (recording audio), and suddenly BOOM.

* Apple Logo *

* Enter passcode *

I am pretty sure that this is the first time, that I can remember.

We do have to remember that sometimes little hiccups do happen. Let's face it, some other operating systems with problems like this would fall completely, iOS just had a micro sleep and is back okay.

Polmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2016
We do have to remember that sometimes little hiccups do happen. Let's face it, some other operating systems with problems like this would fall completely, iOS just had a micro sleep and is back okay.
It's back okay... but probably you lost the work you was doing. That's unacceptable for me in a device that is sold as a productive machine; I can't rely on a system where I lose my work once in a while.

And that doesn't happen to me in much cheaper devices. I pay (a huge) extra for superb quality.

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
It's back okay... but probably you lost the work you was doing. That's unacceptable for me in a device that is sold as a productive machine; I can't rely on a system where I lose my work once in a while.

And that doesn't happen to me in much cheaper devices. I pay (a huge) extra for superb quality.
On this occasion I didn't loose anything...

This is the first example I've really had of this on iOS and it didn't do much other than inconvenience me for 20 seconds.
Yesterday however, my MacBook had El Cap completely pooped itself.

Had a runaway distnoted process, that eventually fixed itself, then all of the sidebar items in finder disappeared, and nothing would save. I'd written a five page report and pages just refused to do anything with it... Ended up having to copy and paste it to email it to my iPad Pro (ironically).

Eventually the MacBook just ground into a huge gridlock, I closed the lid and it just never woke up from sleep. Had to hard reset it, and that's when I did loose work.

It's all relative, and I find that iOS and iDevices tend to be much more rock solid than Mac and OS X.

Edit: spelling.

bob24

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Happened to me twice in 7 days.

I'd say it's a bug which will be fixed and nothing to do with the RAM (though I would have indeed liked 4GB).

When the iPad Air was released it kept crashing in the same way and people were blaming the RAM (me included), but after a few iOS iterations it stopped.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Reactions: Geordie bry