Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wct097, Feb 15, 2011.

1. wct097 macrumors 6502

Obviously there are a lot of opinions on what constitutes a 'pro' user in regards to a Macbook Pro, it's specs, and what a 'pro' needs.

So lets hear it. What do you believe constitutes a 'pro' user? Job title? Keyboard time? Running applications other than web browsers & iTunes? Someone who needs a dependable computer? (who doesn't?)

2. simsaladimbamba

Contra?

It may have to do with the words "professional" and "profession" and their relationship with what tools are used to accomplish the tasks the professional has to solve in its (it's = it is, its = belonging to) profession.

I think that as Apple wanted to have the word "Mac" in every product of its computers, and PowerBook is a strong word already, it needed something powerful to go with Mac, therefore it came up wit "Pro".

Btw, your thread title is overly descriptive, I knew exactly what I was going into. Thanks.
    In all seriousness, to edit your thread title click the "EDIT" button and then click "Go Advanced".

3. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I don't put a lot of weight in Apple's "Pro" label. Computers are just tools, a professional may be able to use a cheap little netbook to do his/her tasks to support their profession. They may need a lot more power, depends on the profession.

While Apple's "Pro" computers (Mac Pro and MacBook Pro) are generally more powerful than the "non-Pro" computers that sit on the next tables at the Apple store (iMac/Mac Mini and MacBook/MacBook Air) but depending on what you do, they may not be powerful enough for your work.

4. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

a pro when it comes to mbp is someone who at least somewhat knows what there talking about, for example, if you dont know what firewire is or expresscard/34 then maybe you should just stick to a macbook

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Sigh...

The word "Pro" on a Macbook is pure marketing, nothing more.
    I honestly wish they had chosen another name as it just sparks pointless
    arguments.

MacBook GTi maybe...

6. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Literally, a pro user is someone who uses their computer to earn money. If your computer is a business tool, then you're a pro user.

For software, pro ideally means that this version of the program includes features and capabilities that are necessary if your final product has to "impress" in a way that convinces someone to pay you for what you've done.

For hardware, pro means that your computing time is valuable and therefore you are willing to pay more for a set-up that completes tasks quicker, allowing you to spend more time creating and less time waiting, for example, rendering.

Note that you can easily be a "pro" in any one, two or three of these categories. This was one of the minor scandals surrounding iMovie when it first came out -- that some production houses were using it for simple things like credit crawls, and when word got out that people had paid the top-dollar rates for the company to use a free program, there was some (minor) dust kicking.

Is it possible to shoot, edit and release the next big indie using only the built-in iSight and iMovie? I suppose. Does that make the person less of a pro? I'd say more of one -- but that doesn't make iSight or iMovie a "pro" tool.

For the purposes of this forum, I'd say that the "pro" in a laptop's name means that it includes hardware that may not provide a reasonable cost/benefit profile for someone who's computer time qualifies as entertainment or a hobby.

So if Apple were to come out with a laptop that can run Adobe Premier's Mercury Playback Engine (hey, Steve -- I so know you track my posts! :D ), that would be an excellent example of an unquestionable pro feature.

7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

To be considered a 'pro' and be worthy enough to use a MBP, you should be using one of these. If not, you definitely own the wrong type of notebook and should consider changing it immediately.

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

LOL! That's great! :)

But, a MacBook Pro is targeted towards someone with the need for a more durable/powerful Mac than the normal MacBooks, hence the term "Prosumer" or Professional. I also agree with the professional definition of someone who uses their computer to earn money.

9. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

And there`s my point, beautifully illustrated.
    No more "amateur" toothbrushes for me...:D

10. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

It's probably worth adding that with regard to Apple's current laptop offerings, the "pro" moniker is almost worthless -- but not quite.

Since they only make one 15" and one 17" model, calling these pro makes little sense -- as I've said elsewhere, all you need to require these "pro" machines is a desire for (1) mobility and (2) a screen >13" -- neither a criterion limited to professionals.

For the 13" space, they offer 3 models including the Air. The differences between the MacBook and MBP13 are unibody AL, FW800, SD slot and options for +0.22 GHz and an upgrade from 4GB to 8GB of RAM.

Of these, FW and 8GB of RAM could, arguably, be "pro" elements -- if $200 means a lot to you and you wouldn't ever use FW or need more than the standard RAM, there could be a cost/benefit trade-off that makes the MB the way to go.

11. wct097 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree completely, but it's an interesting discussion none-the-less. I find it mildly amusing when desired features for a refresh are debated using the justification of 'pro' users.

12. electronique macrumors 6502

Pro gives all the hipsters that little bit more bragging rights, when they say the use a MacBook... Even though all they use it for is Internet, email and iTunes.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

It's not always about being paid. I use mine to run a volunteer organization, so no one gets paid. However, the work is on a professional level.

14. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

One more comment... if someone wants to spend the money on a machine that he'll never use to its full potential, what the hell do I care?

15. wct097 thread starter macrumors 6502

Personal amusement. It's like the neighbor that drives a 3/4 ton diesel pickup as a commuter to his office job, and never hauls more than a couple bags of trash an an occasional bag of dog food. Naturally, everyone has the right to waste money any way they see fit. I don't care, though it amuses me, unless their lack of responsibility affects me.

16. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Fair enough, but you're creating a deliverable that your reputation in (and, depending on your place in the hierarchy, your continued involvement with) the organization depend on. That's not just consumption on your part -- what I characterized earlier as "entertainment or hobby."

Mostly, we don't -- but the issue is more about what the "pro" moniker means. Although, if you wanted to be picky, you could say that these non-pro buyers affect the supply/demand relationship for hardware and therefore affect market prices.

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I doubt it. In fact, if only true "pros" were the market for these machines, I imagine that in the long term, the demand would decrease, the supply would be reduced, and the prices would probably go up, not down.

18. wct097 thread starter macrumors 6502

Considering the moniker is more marketing hype than reality, I don't think we have anything to really worry about.

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No need to guess. Apple has a whole web page dedicated to what 'they' feel is pro.

http://www.apple.com/pro/

to include industries such as Design, Film + Video, Photography , and Music + Audio.

Do I think the MBP could handle these tasks? Kinda sorta yeah not really. They can handle them, but it begs the question as to why no workstation class graphics card (although, yes, I know the masses wouldnt use them) or expresscard slot on the 15". At this point, I think it's more of a marketing peice. I would call myself "pro" and I could use a macbook air for work (because I would remote into my high powered machines ;)).

20. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Pretty much all of apples current range is targeted at regular users.
    Apple is leaving the enterprise/professional sector as fast as it can.

Apples key customer base nowadays would appear to be people who want a hassle-free consumer experience, hence locked down systems like iOS and the discontinuation of the X-Serve range combined with their success with the iPad.

I don`t really have a problem with this as such except when they start locking down OSX and making it too iOS like.
    I still like a reasonable degree of control over my OS.

I recently uber-specced a Mac Pro on Apple`s site, for s**ts and giggles and was able to get it up to £13,500!!! That`s certainly "Pro" money :eek:

21. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I didn't say the price would fall -- I just said it would likely be different.

In fact, I agree with you that non-pro buyers currently depress prices.

22. sivosam macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

MBP kind of "pro" user is someone who has the money and will to buy one, nothing more.

I agree that it is quite amusing when some people demand certain changes because "it's a pro machine".

23. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

24. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I agree, it's all about marketing. Heck I basically sold my late 2008 MacBook Aluminum Unibody for a 15 inch 2010 MBP just because it bothered me so much that I didn't have the "Pro" attached to the name of my computer. It's sad, I know, but I'm just speaking the truth!

25. vectus macrumors member

lol

Pro is someone who is not ****. "You are either a pro or you are a noob. That is life." - Athene, best Paladin in the world.